Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #1

Question Coleman Ceiling AC Mods

Has anyone attempted to modify a Coleman Ceiling AC unit (mine is specifically a Coleman Mach Mod. #9330E715) to run wiring to a digital thermostat in order to control the cooling fan speed (Hi/Lo)? I'm about to attempt this in my 2012 Jayco Skylark, but if someone has already done something similar, I'd like some input?
Thanks in advance.
chris1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #2

I used a Coleman digital stat which was wire for wire easy, but more expensive than resi stats.

there are instructions on how to do what you are asking floating around on the forum.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #3

I just installed the Coleman digital in my Eagle. Tested the heater and hi/lo fan functions but not the AC since its got a cover on it and its winter here in Montana. No reason to not think it'll work though, as stated above, a wire for wire replacement.
On my last RV I used a home digital and had to put a rocker switch next to it for high/low fan. The home thermostat was a more solidly built one, I must say.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:22 AM   #4

Don't forget you have to keep fresh batteries in the resi stats. They don't work on 12 volts. It isn't a big deal, but just something else to remember to maintain.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #5

Yep Ed, we installed the Hunter Digital home thermostats, they work great but I do have to change the batteries once a year.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:38 AM   #6

If I recall that AC unit is like mine, you have to manual turn knobs on it to change the settings. If so, yes you can add the digital thermostat. It does not look difficult if you can do some basic wiring. There was a guy who posted on here about a year ago that did it and showed what he did on YouTube. He added two relays in the AC and then ran the thermostat wires from the wall through surface molding to the AC. The only thing he had to do at the AC unit was to physically turn it on, and set the fan speed. I have thought about doing it.

[video=youtube;dCDPCRrWfo0]

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:35 AM   #7

I did this on my 19H. I now have one thermostat for both heat and AC. My heater used to have the mechanical thermostat, and the AC had the red to blue dial. My suggestion is to get the wiring schematic of your AC unit. I think I found mine on the web. You can use that video as a guide, but use the schematic to ensure your connecting the relays to the correct wires on the unit. I also didn't use the solid state relays the person in the video purchased on Ebay. I purchased regular relays from Mouser, or Newark Electronics. I used the 12 volts that powered the heater for the thermostat power. Also, when I finished wiring it up, I edited the schematic for the AC unit to show how it's now wired. Now I can turn on the heat, or just the fan, or the AC with the fan, and the fan turns off when the AC compressor turns off. Some people like the fan to run all the time when the AC is on, but I didn't want that.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #8

Does anyone know if they have wireless controls so you wouldnt have to run the wires across the ceiling?
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #9

They make them for residential use!
Ryetye is offline   Reply With Quote