Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2016, 07:51 PM   #21

Aftermarket Television Install

I debated this one since I first started looking at this model trailer. Do I pay the $500 or so discounted price from the dealer for a lower resolution television or buy my own and battle with finding a way to securely mount it. Ultimately I couldn't pay that much for a 720P panel. I found a great deal online. I paid $189 dollars for a new 2015 model Vizio 39" 1080P with built in ATSC tuner (need to tune over the air digital TV). I also ordered this mount from Amazon for $11.

I seriously considered BigJohnD's mod (see post #49) to remove the swivel TV stand. After picking up the trailer I actually like the convenience of being able to flip the TV around if needed. I also don't have the need for two televisions. We'll see if the swivel mechanism holds up over time. I examined where the TV mount was to be installed to determine if additional bracing was needed. Once again I was convinced from reading other posts that this would be a necessity. On my unit that doesn't seem to be the case. The existing backer board appears to be braced from behind. I pulled one of the factory screws to see how long it was. It was easily 2 inches. I used 1 5/8 drywall screws to attach the mount. 6 of them. There was enough bite in the wood that the screw head indented the mount when tightening them down. Here is the wall mount attached.

My next challenge was that the two brackets that attached directly to the TV each has a set screw that holds the TV in place once tightened. I quickly realized there was no way I would be able to get to the back of the TV to do this. To get around this I identified the screws as M4 size. I bought an M4 size threaded rod along with some M4 acorn nuts. I cut the threaded rod down to make two 9 inch pieces. I then used thread locker and attached the acorn nuts to one end of each threaded rod. Instant 9" screw.

I also made sure to attach HDMI cables, coax and power cables before mounting. There is no access to these ports on the television once mounted. The extended screws worked well as I was able to turn them by hand and once they started to grab I was able to fit a small ratchet under the television to tighten them. I will keep an eye on everything and see how it holds up to travel.

One observation I have mode so far is that the view from the sofa when sitting closest to the TV is obstructed by the edge of the slide. If this becomes a problem I may look into an articulating mount which would most likely need reinforcing at the base.
Logan0171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:05 PM   #22

Blu-Ray Player

Being that the Furrion system only plays DVD's I wanted a Blu-Ray player. My requirements were for something Internet connected that supports Netflix and Amazon streaming at a minimum. I have future plans to support networking in the trailer. Also it needed to fit in the compartment to the right of the stereo. After checking a few brands I found what I was looking for in the Sony BDP-S3700. I also ordered a right angle HDMI cable to save space behind. This setup works great. As you can see from the picture it fits inside of the front lip. There is a little more rooms to push the player further back if needed. The only gotcha is that the front of the player flips down when ejecting a disc. I have to tilt the player up prevent the front from hitting the lip.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #23

Does that new thermostat also allow you to control the fan speed between low and hi, I know the one that came with my trailer don't although it does seem to hold temperature pretty good.

Thanks

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Does that new thermostat also allow you to control the fan speed between low and hi, I know the one that came with my trailer don't although it does seem to hold temperature pretty good.

Thanks
Yes, there is a hi and lo switch for the fan speed.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan0171 View Post
Being that the Furrion system only plays DVD's I wanted a Blu-Ray player. My requirements were for something Internet connected that supports Netflix and Amazon streaming at a minimum. I have future plans to support networking in the trailer. Also it needed to fit in the compartment to the right of the stereo. After checking a few brands I found what I was looking for in the Sony BDP-S3700. I also ordered a right angle HDMI cable to save space behind. This setup works great. As you can see from the picture it fits inside of the front lip. There is a little more rooms to push the player further back if needed. The only gotcha is that the front of the player flips down when ejecting a disc. I have to tilt the player up prevent the front from hitting the lip.
I ended up refitting everything in that little area to get more room for my blue ray player, mine would not come close to fitting and my guess is it depends on who built the space.

I moved the electrical outlet from the back to the side (where the hole is for the TV power cable), and then shifted the antenna and coax loop down, and removed the rest of the false paneling so the little cabinet was deeper.

I will post pics, however I'm not quite satisfied with it yet. Its unfinished.

During my work two of the coax connections came apart in my hand, bad crimp jobs. I intend to redo all of the ones I can find, which should result in less level loss and better TV.

Awseome job, I think I'm going to move the factory 32" to the back for the kids and upgrade to a 39".
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger
apr1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #26

Here are the pics of my quick job.

20160510_090023 by Alan Russell, on Flickr

20160510_090018 by Alan Russell, on Flickr
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger
Old 05-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #27

Tell me something about your thermostat install.

Can you put it in heat mode, and put the fan on, and have the heater fan run (non-stop) or does it run the AC fan?
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger
Old 05-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr1967 View Post
Tell me something about your thermostat install.

Can you put it in heat mode, and put the fan on, and have the heater fan run (non-stop) or does it run the AC fan?
I tested this today. It looks as though the thermostat fan switch only controls the AC. The heater fan is only on when the heater is running.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:57 PM   #29

Same here when I swapped out. Some older rigs we had you could run the AC fan only along with the furnace, which was nice. Not so with this one. That said though, I still prefer the Coleman over a Dometic any day since I've worked on both.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:12 PM   #30

Screen Door Handles

I'm not sure why but closing the doors from the inside seemed a little awkward compared to my last trailer. Especially the small door in the bathroom. I came across these on Amazon and figured I would give it a try.

Robot Check

I installed it in the main door first and was happy with the results so I ordered another for the bathroom door. I tried to get them as close to the door latch as possible while not blocking access to the handle and lock mechanism and still feeling somewhat natural in placement. Hopefully they will hold up over time and a couple of kids. It does feel much easier to close the doors now from the inside.

Here is the main door.

And the smaller bathroom door. This door did require that I cut a few inches off of the metal bar in the kit.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #31

Quote:
I'm not sure why but closing the doors from the inside seemed a little awkward compared to my last trailer. Especially the small door in the bathroom. I came across these on Amazon and figured I would give it a try.

Robot Check

I installed it in the main door first and was happy with the results so I ordered another for the bathroom door. I tried to get them as close to the door latch as possible while not blocking access to the handle and lock mechanism and still feeling somewhat natural in placement. Hopefully they will hold up over time and a couple of kids. It does feel much easier to close the doors now from the inside.

Here is the main door.

And the smaller bathroom door. This door did require that I cut a few inches off of the metal bar in the kit.

I did this install not long ago (just on the main door, we rarely use the back door) and it makes a big difference. One of my favorite mods.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #32

Quote:
I tested this today. It looks as though the thermostat fan switch only controls the AC. The heater fan is only on when the heater is running.
Thanks.

I really like being able to run the heat fan by itself to circulate electric heat in the winter, so I guess I will stick with the manual thermostat for now. Or buy an electronic thermostat and install a simple manual one for the heater.
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger
Old 05-29-2016, 05:57 PM   #33

Where did you purchase your Coleman 8330-386 Thermostat? Thanks...

I finally got around today to installing our Stove Cover and Mag Light holders for a 2D Led Mag Light right above the Fire Extinguisher. Screen Door handle was the first Mod I did... can't live without it.

Thanks for all the good info... Especially about the Progressive Industries EMS, I want to do this and have been wondering where I could mount it, I will be doing that install shortly.
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFL19H View Post
Where did you purchase your Coleman 8330-386 Thermostat? Thanks...

I finally got around today to installing our Stove Cover and Mag Light holders for a 2D Led Mag Light right above the Fire Extinguisher. Screen Door handle was the first Mod I did... can't live without it.

Thanks for all the good info... Especially about the Progressive Industries EMS, I want to do this and have been wondering where I could mount it, I will be doing that install shortly.
Ordered here. Seems like a reputable reseller. Coleman Digital Wall Thermostat 8330-3862

Let me know if you have any questions doing the EMS install. Happy to help if I can.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:15 AM   #35

Quote:
Ordered here. Seems like a reputable reseller. Coleman Digital Wall Thermostat 8330-3862

Let me know if you have any questions doing the EMS install. Happy to help if I can.
Perfect... Thanks! That company is who I am going to purchase a slide topper from when I get around to doing it. I have heard good things about them.

Where did you purchase your PGI EMS system?
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFL19H View Post
Perfect... Thanks! That company is who I am going to purchase a slide topper from when I get around to doing it. I have heard good things about them.

Where did you purchase your PGI EMS system?
Ordered it from Amazon.