Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

EMS Hardwire Install

I've been putting it off for a couple of years, but I finally broke down and purchased a Progressive Industries EMS (Electrical Management System), simply put "a surge protector".

The manufacture is Progressive Industries, and the model number is EMS-LCHW30. This is a hardwired in-line model with an integrated digital scrolling display, but there is another model that has a remote digital scrolling display (EMS-HW30C).

Some of the features of the EMS-LCHW30 are:

* Surge Protection
* High/Low Voltage Protection
* Polarity Protection
* A/C Compressor Time Delay
* Open Neutral/Open Ground Protection
* Display reads: Source Voltage, Amp Draw, Source Frequency, and Fault Codes
* The EMS box can be mounted horizontally or vertically, plus for viewing the digital display it has four plug-in positions to accommodate the EMS box mounting preference.

Manufacturer's Product Information: http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_lchw30.htm

I purchased my unit from: http://tweetys.com/electrical-manage...re-30-AMP.aspx They have been a great source for RV accessories, and will price match (which they did on my EMS purchase).

The installation:

Locating a place to install this particular unit will very depending on one's floor plan and 30amp wiring location. In my case the location I chose was ideal and provided a means for easy access and viewing of the display.

My water/cable/electrical connections are located at the street-side rear corner of my TT, and can be accessed inside the TT by sliding a panel out of the way:

What made the location ideal was that it also housed the junction box for the 30amp shore cable, so in theory all I had to do was replace the junction box with the EMS unit.

The installation instructions supplied were easy to follow, and considering I'm more comfortable with a 1/2" drive ratchet in my hand says a lot!

Mounting the EMS to the side of my 30amp power cord storage box provided a better view of the digital display, and kept it clear of the carpet in the event it got wet. I wasn't sure if the EMS box would get warm during operation, so I used some spacers with the four mounting screws thus creating a 1/4" air gap between the EMS box and the mounting surface. It's not seen in the photo, but I do have the 30amp shore cord clamped to the floor so it can't be accidentally pulled at/or around the EMS box.

The EMS unit has a built in time delay for the A/C compressor in the event of a source power or EMS interruption. The unit comes with two different time delays, 15 seconds and 136 seconds. The default is 15 seconds, and 136 seconds (use if existing A/C doesn't have it's own built in time delay) which can be enabled by removing the supplied circuit board jumper. I have yet to determine if my Coleman Mach A/C has it's own time delay...., and with the help of JOF member "Quahog" we hope to confirm this ASAP.

Once I plugged my shore power back up, the EMS unit takes a few seconds to check the source power, then the power is released to the TT electrical system.

One mod always seems to lead to another, so I'm considering installing a Marinco detachable power conversion kit http://tweetys.com/detachable-power-...sion-kits.aspx. Another option would be to make my own by purchasing a male 30 amp plug and a female outlet. Cut off the RV cord coming from the EMS unit leaving 2 feet hanging outside the TT and attach the male plug at the end. Then attach the female plug onto the remaining 30 amp shore power cord.

It will be interesting to see what type of fault codes the EMS unit displays as I venture into different CG's.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #2

I'm glad you mounted the box on the cabinet instead of the floor like the junction box.

It made me nervous just looking at water lines sitting next to electrical connections. What were they thinking? Even a minor water leak could spell disaster.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
Site Team

Nice upgrade, Bob.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #4

Nice job! I love my ems and feel much more comfortable at questionable pedestals. Nice thing is you don't have to check it before you plug in....you just plug in and let the system decide for you. I have actually run into a low voltage situation two or three times where it shut me down - and glad it did.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #5

Nice installation Bob!
In the photo which shows the insides of the EMS, the blue disk items which are slightly larger than a quarter, are the surge protection. The square black device where you attached the shore power cord, is a solid state relay which does the disconnect and connect as called for by the EMS microprocessor.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #6

I just ordered this past week the Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C. I would rather have the portable, but it is the same unit as described above, but 50 amp.

I am hosting this summer at the same state park where I was last summer and I'm seeing too much wiring being done by people that shouldn't be doing wiring. I will feel much better when it shows up and I can plug it in.

I got it from CW. It was a special drop ship from the manufacturer with free shipping.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I just ordered this past week the Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C. I would rather have the portable, but it is the same unit as described above, but 50 amp....
Why do you prefer portable over hard wired?
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Old 04-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #8

Looks great Bob, I want to do the same. I also want to do the power cord detach upgrade.
I noticed there is another company called Park that makes a conversion kit that is less expensive. Still lots of money for for basically a plastic box and a receptacle. I used to work in a electrical shop and have a parts catalogue still, will have to see what othere options are avaible.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:27 AM   #9

Maybe I'm just lazy drfife, but I like just being able to plug it in and see right there what I'm facing. I know there is a remote feature on the hard wired version, but the portable gives me information when I'm standing right there. I'm not terribly concerned about theft, but do have a locking cable that I will use.

Also, I most likely will use it with other RV's at some point and if it were hard wired that would obviously not work and I definitely don't need two of them.

As I stated in my first post, I was at this same park last summer, but this year the wiring issues are really bothering me. Maybe I have been there long enough now to see more than I did last year, or at least know more about what I am seeing.

The voltage is good and was all last year also, but the open neutral and/or ground is what I'm really scared about. This unit will eliminate those issues as well as others.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 04-30-2012, 05:45 AM   #10

I don't know if the portable units protect you from anything other than voltage spikes. The hard wired models do and that's why I used that version, not because I'm worried about theft. Mine lives in the bottom of the cabinet beteen the two chairs. There's no space lost because that's where my electrical service comes in anyway.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #11

This post on one of the forums tells you how to check it if you can't find it in your AC documentation.

"Check to see if your AC thermostat has a delay built in. With the rig warm enough for the AC to come on, turn on the AC. If it comes on almost immediately, you need to jumper the PI EMS for the longer delay. If the AC doesn't come on for a minute or two, the shorter delay on the PI EMS is fine because the thermostat is doing that job."

The default setting on the EMS HW30C is 15 seconds. To change it, you have to remove the jumper (marked J8 on mine).

See this photo for the location of that jumper.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:53 AM   #12
Site Team

Quahog, is that picture on your Jayflight thermostat?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Please note the following updates:

PI-EMS and A/C Compressor Time Delay:

I spoke with a service tech at RV Products this morning, they are the manufacture of the Coleman Mach A/C's. I provided him with the technical data from the PI EMS installation instructions on the subject of A/C time delay, and his recommendation was to go with the EMS's 136 second time delay option (in lieu of the EMS default 15 seconds).

He stated that the Colman Mach time delay of 3 minutes resides within all Coleman Mach wall thermostats, not within the roof top A/C unit. He felt that the EMS would provide some time delay protection at the A/C compressor in the event that the wall thermostat had power (12VDC), but there was an electrical event (120V) taking place at the roof A/C unit itself. At least this was what I walked away with from the phone conversation.

Hunter Digital Thermostat upgrade:

The Coleman Mach representative confirmed that "all" Coleman Mach thermostats have a 3 minute time delay (digital or otherwise), but when I installed my EMS I didn't know if my upgraded "Hunter" digital thermostat had a time delay.

I dug out my Hunter documentation and did confirm that it does in fact have a 3.5 minute time delay after shutting off the cooling system before it can be restarted. The Hunter document went on to say that this time delay feature will prevent damage to the A/C compressor caused by rapid cycling.

IMPORTANT: The Hunter document also stated that the thermostat the time delay feature "does not prevent a rapid compressor restart due to a short power outages". I can only assume this is why the Coleman Mach tech recommended using the EMS 136 second time delay option.

Hope this helps

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 04-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Quahog, is that picture on your Jayflight thermostat?
That is the inside view of the EMS HW30C.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #15

Nice job and a mod that is very useful and could save you a lot of money.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #16

The portable and the hard wired versions have exactly the same specs and protect against the same things.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
The portable and the hard wired versions have exactly the same specs and protect against the same things.
But, the portable is just one more thing to take out and put away.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
Nice installation Bob!
In the photo which shows the insides of the EMS, the blue disk items which are slightly larger than a quarter, are the surge protection. The square black device where you attached the shore power cord, is a solid state relay which does the disconnect and connect as called for by the EMS microprocessor.
Just one note that might be of interest on those decided between inside/outside -- the inside actually has a contactor -- basically the same one used in an A/C condenser unit. It does have a very slight hum. I don't think it is an issue, but some might not like the hum.

Personally I prefer the permanent install because it is nice and clean. Either one will give you the exact same protection - all personal preference..

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
Just one note that might be of interest on those decided between inside/outside -- the inside actually has a contactor -- basically the same one used in an A/C condenser unit. It does have a very slight hum. I don't think it is an issue, but some might not like the hum.

Personally I prefer the permanent install because it is nice and clean. Either one will give you the exact same protection - all personal preference..
Okay on the contactor. From the picture, I thought it might have been a solid state relay. Contactors can be noisy and slow.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

As far as noise with mine, I can hear a slight "hum" when I'm up close to the unit with the wood access door opened, but with the access door closed I don't hear a thing.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS