Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2017, 05:24 PM   #1

Eternabond and UV

Hi all,

Well I'm taking the TT out of winter storage in a couple of weeks. Since it is impossible for me to get on the roof to inspect it I've been considering my options. I will have someone clean it but I want something that I don't have to worrying about inspecting and re-calking. I'm trying to choose between the RV Armor roof, I can't afford the RV Flex Armor system, Pro Gard Liquid Roof like Big John did, or using Eternabond tape. My question about the Eternabond tape is it's long term effectiveness when it comes to resisting UV degradation. If it's not at least a 10 year option for wear and UV resistance then I need to move on to my other options. The Eternabond would be the easiest and cheapest option though. It's something I wouldn't mind my handyman doing. My problem with getting on the roof is I'm banned from ladders by my Dr because of arthritis and a knee replacement that sometimes collapses.
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I mwas very pleased with my eternabond experience.
It outlasted my ownership, but would expect it to last at least 5 years.
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:30 PM   #3

I'd put my money on it lasting longer than 10 years. One of the reasons I did not go this route is because I like to undo and redo too much. Otherwise I'd have it on my roof, or the sprayed roof if my pockets were deeper.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:59 PM   #4

I put a patch of eternabond on my roof almost 5 years ago. It looks as good as the day I installed it.

I just did all the joints, and vents two weeks ago. The only thing that did not get done was thw tv antenna as I was running low on time that evening.

Wish I had done it years earlier.

If you go this direction, tell your installer do NOT stretch it. It will Pell off within a day or two. Found this out when I put my patch on.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:59 PM   #5

Regular ETERNABOND has a UV protected coating and is predicted to be a 15 yr repair. ETERNABOND web seal is cloth backed and needs to be painted or coated with their UV coating since it is not UV protected.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #6

I was just on my roof last weekend cleaning it.

I did my Allegro Bay when I bought it (2004) and it is still sealing good with no damage. It still seems flexible. The white is stained and doesn't clean up anymore but no leaks!

I did the end cap seams and then around any vents, and the ladder mounts on the roof.

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdhealy4 View Post
Hi all,

Well I'm taking the TT out of winter storage in a couple of weeks. Since it is impossible for me to get on the roof to inspect it I've been considering my options. I will have someone clean it but I want something that I don't have to worrying about inspecting and re-calking. I'm trying to choose between the RV Armor roof, I can't afford the RV Flex Armor system, Pro Gard Liquid Roof like Big John did, or using Eternabond tape. My question about the Eternabond tape is it's long term effectiveness when it comes to resisting UV degradation. If it's not at least a 10 year option for wear and UV resistance then I need to move on to my other options. The Eternabond would be the easiest and cheapest option though. It's something I wouldn't mind my handyman doing. My problem with getting on the roof is I'm banned from ladders by my Dr because of arthritis and a knee replacement that sometimes collapses.