Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2016, 03:06 PM   #21

I just got the same 5er as the OP and am planning on installing fans too. I've had / installed Fantastic Fans in the past and they were nice but maybe a bit noisy on the higher settings. I'd also like covers as well. All considered, for the cost I agree the MaxxFans are a better option. All in one, low profile, more fan options, and supposedly quieter but I haven't confirmed that yet. I'll be installing two of those soon when the weather levels offs here a bit more.
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:46 PM   #22

If you get a Fantastic with a wall control you get a thermostat which varies the speed to the temp and 13 speeds.
Plus a rain sensor.
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #23

We all need to understand that the oem fan installed in just about all new rvs is not a vent fan, it is a "stink elimination" fan. Manufacturers install them because they are cheap. A fantastic fan set to exhaust will allow you to selectively open windows in different parts of the RV and pull fresh outside air into the cabin. The one I installed in my white hawk doesn't have an in/out setting, just out. Chose that model because in 2 years I never used the "in" setting on the fantastic fan I installed in my previous TT and this model was cheaper. Why pay for something you don't use. Installing with a Maxair cover and you can open and forget. Rain won't get in.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
We all need to understand that the oem fan installed in just about all new rvs is not a vent fan, it is a "stink elimination" fan. Manufacturers install them because they are cheap. A fantastic fan set to exhaust will allow you to selectively open windows in different parts of the RV and pull fresh outside air into the cabin. The one I installed in my white hawk doesn't have an in/out setting, just out. Chose that model because in 2 years I never used the "in" setting on the fantastic fan I installed in my previous TT and this model was cheaper. Why pay for something you don't use. Installing with a Maxair cover and you can open and forget. Rain won't get in.
Just don't leave the fan on while you are flushing or it becomes a stink inducing fan....
Old 03-10-2016, 11:24 AM   #25

We went with with the Hengs Vortex fan and a MaxAir II vent cover. This combination has worked awesome for us and we landed on it because the combination was low cost, good reviews, and most importantly didn't require breaking any factory seals.

We picked up the Vortx fan and MaxAir vent covers on Amazon. IIRC the fan was $59 and the vent cover was $50.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:46 AM   #26

Cdash, let me know what you go with as I'll be wanting to do the same thing shortly. I also would like to Not touch the factory roof seals if possible. I will be adding the Maxxair Roof Vent as well.

Dave...

2013 Ram 2500, CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue - SOLD

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero_Dave View Post
Cdash, let me know what you go with as I'll be wanting to do the same thing shortly. I also would like to Not touch the factory roof seals if possible. I will be adding the Maxxair Roof Vent as well.

Dave...
Will do. The more videos I watch, the less worried I am about replacing the whole thing.

I am also thinking about cutting a new vent in the roof in the back near the bunk beds. I wonder if I can get a deal on 3 units.....
Old 03-11-2016, 09:04 AM   #28

Cdash, I was going to mention that earlier. I did a 360 tour of your unit and can't believe you don't have a vent in the main living/bunk area.
If you decide to do it I hope you can find power for it.
And consider a unit with a wall control remote with a thermostat.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
Old 03-11-2016, 09:12 AM   #29
Lost in the Woods

We don't have the same model, but would love to have a powered vent above the bunks. Gets a little muggy up on the top bunk without the A/C and it would be great if bunk occupants could flip it on according to their temp preferences. If you proceed please post photos and description as well as how you powered it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
Will do. The more videos I watch, the less worried I am about replacing the whole thing.

I am also thinking about cutting a new vent in the roof in the back near the bunk beds. I wonder if I can get a deal on 3 units.....
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:20 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
We don't have the same model, but would love to have a powered vent above the bunks. Gets a little muggy up on the top bunk without the A/C and it would be great if bunk occupants could flip it on according to their temp preferences. If you proceed please post photos and description as well as how you powered it.
Cdash, I agree please start a thread if you do this. I have the same issue with muggy/hot bunks. I already have a new Maxxair fan and cover. I will likely be installing into a new hole over the bunks sometime in early summer.

The Maxxair fan I got is supposed to be able to run in ceiling fan mode. hopefully that works well.

Cheers
Old 03-11-2016, 11:55 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
Cdash, I will likely be installing into a new hole over the bunks sometime in early summer.
If you call (or email) Jayco and give them your VIN, they can tell you if you have pre-installed blocking for a new vent and the location(s).

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:08 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
If you call (or email) Jayco and give them your VIN, they can tell you if you have pre-installed blocking for a new vent and the location(s).
I have tried that. Not a peep back from them.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #33

Seems like I got people a bit excited with a rear vent idea. The back end of the roof is completely clear, so no obstructions. My unit has a switch in the battery compartment that I am told is a power switch for the backup camera wiring that should be behind the top middle running light. That would be my first attempt for power and the switch would just stay on all the time. If I am in the 2nd joist spacing for the vent, I should be able to reach back to the wall to grab the wire, or take the light cover off to get to the end and extend it.

It will probably be a bit later this year. I figure i should actually spend a night in it before I start chopping holes in the roof...
Old 03-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
I have tried that. Not a peep back from them.
You gave them the VIN, right? Cuz they don't do anything without that. I know they are covered up making RVs right now and that equates to a somewhat poor CS situation. One of the problems with growth that comes too fast. If you emailed them previously, I would suggest calling them and asking for the information you want. Be persistent, they have what you need .

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 03-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #35

I just looked up my email history with service@jayco and it looks like I sent them my serial number and they replied asking for my vin which it does not look like I sent. I'll try them again. Thanks

I am thinking that I will use the bunk light for power as it is nearby. I just need to get up on the roof and figure out where to mount it. I would like it right by the head of the bunkbeds so I can access the controls without having to crawl into the bed. I have it laid out in my mind and it "should" be easy. The joist locations are pretty easy to see from the roof so positioning it should be easy. Just nerve racking chopping into a perfectly good roof!
Old 03-11-2016, 05:41 PM   #36

Love the MaxxAir thermostatically controlled reversible fans. We leave the MaxxAir vent covers open all the time, and set the fans to pull out the hot air at about 75 degrees... works great, and keeps the dogs cool!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:52 PM   #37

This might be of help.
Make sure you cut the hole in the middle of two trusses. The blocking frame in the picture is attached to the truss on both sides, it just fits. I didn't measure the thickness of the wood, but it looked less than 1 1/2", so you will probably have to rip something or multi layer different ply wood sizes.

Make sure the duct work is not under your hole. My ducts are right behind the side blocking...it just fits too.

Cut the roof membrane in an "X" so it drops in the hole after.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:54 PM   #38

Whoops, forgot the picture
Old 03-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #39

I was thinking adding a vent in the back too. Somebody do this so we can see...
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
I was thinking adding a vent in the back too. Somebody do this so we can see...
Yes. I did it and you can see pictures on my site. However, I got the new vent location of the pre-installed blocking from Jayco. Much easier (if it's there) than creating your own blocking. Also, the wiring was within easy reach of the new vent location (and they didn't put the wiring where it would be in the way while making the cut ).

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A