Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2016, 08:29 AM   #1

Fantastic fan question

Does the stock power vent have to be completely removed to install the fantastic fan. I would prefer not to disturb my roof unless I have to.
gpd2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #2

Yes, Fantastic Fan comes as one complete assembly.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpd2111 View Post
Does the stock power vent have to be completely removed to install the fantastic fan. I would prefer not to disturb my roof unless I have to.
AFAIK it does have to be removed. I think there is another fan than can be retrofitted into the existing opening, but it does not seem to get as good of reviews as the Fantastic. I think it is called a Vortex 2 fan.
I wish Fantastic would come out with a retrofit fan too.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
AFAIK it does have to be removed. I think there is another fan than can be retrofitted into the existing opening, but it does not seem to get as good of reviews as the Fantastic. I think it is called a Vortex 2 fan.
I wish Fantastic would come out with a retrofit fan too.
I installed a Vortex II fan in my bathroom because I didn't want to disturb my roof as well. I'm not sure how it compares to a Fantastic fan because I've never seen one, but it moves A LOT more air then my factory little fan. It's a little loud but tolerable.

Install was very easy but the directions were clearly lacking. If you have any mechanical ability, its a breeze of a retrofit (pun intended!)

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #5

Thanks Marcm157 that's what I ordered. I've only had the tt for 1 month and don't want to screw with the roof

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2016, 02:47 PM   #6

No need to worry about the roof with this mod. All you do is take out the screws, clean off as much of the existing caulk and then put down new caulk tape. Seat the fantastic fan and screw it in place. Final step is to seal the screw heads.

I would not compromise and buy anything other than the fantastic fan or the Max air fan.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #7

I would love to install a new fan, but the dealership told me that any mod that was done by me would void my warranty. I had to have them install the AirMaxx vent cover because of that. What a racket. :/
CMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichigan View Post
I would love to install a new fan, but the dealership told me that any mod that was done by me would void my warranty. I had to have them install the AirMaxx vent cover because of that. What a racket. :/
Your dealer is full of baloney. Refer him to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. A modification can void a warranty only if it causes the damage or failure being reported for warranty adjustment. Even if a mod causes, say, a roof leak, the warranty will be void only for the area damaged by the leak. The warranty will still be in effect elsewhere.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichigan View Post
There is legislation called the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act that prohibits them from doing this. Basically what it says is a warranty company MUST PROVE that what you did caused the failure of the covered part.

It was enacted to prevent a company from arbitrarily denying a valid warranty claim.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #10

Don't put in an inferior fan for the sake of ease or the dealer lying to you. I put a Fantastic Fan in my trailer before I even camped with it for the first time. Go slow, take your time and do it right the first time. YMMV

There are so many YouTube tutorials to watch on the installation, I felt like an expert before I started!
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:16 PM   #11

Awesome!!!!! Thanks for the info.

I should go ask for my $49 back for the installation for the vent cover. ��
CMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Your dealer is full of baloney. Refer him to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. A modification can void a warranty only if it causes the damage or failure being reported for warranty adjustment. Even if a mod causes, say, a roof leak, the warranty will be void only for the area damaged by the leak. The warranty will still be in effect elsewhere.
X-2
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:09 PM   #13

X-3 My Fantastic Fan install was easy and it really moves the air. Love the thermostat setting.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:08 AM   #14

I know the op already ordered a new fan. FWIW I figured I would add my two cents for future readers.

I have a fantastic fan in my current mh (factory installed). I had a vortex fan in my last trailer (installed by me). The vortex fan installs from the inside. If I add another fan to my current mh it will be a vortex fan. It is easier to install and I do not see enough benefit from the fantastic fan to mess with the roof.
TakeItEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeItEasy View Post
The vortex fan installs from the inside. If I add another fan to my current mh it will be a vortex fan. It is easier to install and I do not see enough benefit from the fantastic fan to mess with the roof.
When I replaced the standard bath fan with the FantasticFan, when the RV was only a year old, one of the benefits was getting a better cover (or lid). The standard cover was very brittle and the weather stripping was disintigrating.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
There are so many YouTube tutorials to watch on the installation, I felt like an expert before I started!
Here is a great fan install video.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
Here is a great fan install video.
I wasn't impressed. He should have cleaned off as much of the old Dicor as possible before installing the fan. He also should have used a real steel roller—anyplace that sells wallpaper sells them—instead of trying to use that socket. There is no way he got enough pressure using that socket.

This is a much better video of an installation using butyl tape and Dicor.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I wasn't impressed.
I just my standards aren't up to yours.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #19

Got my vortex 2 installed and am trying it out this weekend. So far I'm very impressed. Easy to install (all from the inside). Fan is quiet. On low it is quieter than the stock small fan. On medium it is still slightly quieter. On hi it is a little louder. For the larger amount of air it moves it still isn't loud enough to hear outside the bathroom with it on hi. Anyone on the fence I would do the vortex 2 again.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk