Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2017, 12:16 PM   #1

"Friction" Door Hinge Upgrade

Has anyone upgraded your door to a friction hinge? Do you have to replace the whole door, or can you replace the hinges? How difficult and expensive is the job?
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:26 PM   #2

I replaced the door in my previous TT due to a break-in. All they got was my Clint Eastwood movies... ... I tried to buy only parts for the door but I had to buy the entire door assembly and the graphics kit for that side of the trailer... and it wasn't cheap. In all I was out about $700- and the wouldn't sell me any part of the door assembly, just the whole thing... even going directly to Lippert that made it.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #3

You had me searching. It seems like buying the whole door is the only option.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #4

It sounds like a good idea but once again it doesn't work. Here is a post from the Forest River forum web site.

I have a 2016 Rockwood 8325SS that came with the Lippert Friction Hinge door. It lasted for 3 months and now it swings free. I did not come with a way to secure it to the trailer when the door is totally open. The hinge now makes a binding noise on the top hinge. Contacted Lippert and they state the entire door hinge needs replacement. The camper is put up for the winter months and I will play with it in the spring. The friction hinge in my mind is not a great idea. The slightest wind and the door closes.
New but not improved..

My plan is if I can get the binding noise out of the hinge, I will just put a OLD FASHION door holder catch on and call it a day.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:58 PM   #5

Based on these forums nothing works from the wdh to the rear bumper. Lol
Old 10-01-2019, 10:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
It sounds like a good idea but once again it doesn't work. Here is a post from the Forest River forum web site.

I have a 2016 Rockwood 8325SS that came with the Lippert Friction Hinge door. It lasted for 3 months and now it swings free. I did not come with a way to secure it to the trailer when the door is totally open. The hinge now makes a binding noise on the top hinge. Contacted Lippert and they state the entire door hinge needs replacement. The camper is put up for the winter months and I will play with it in the spring. The friction hinge in my mind is not a great idea. The slightest wind and the door closes.
New but not improved..

My plan is if I can get the binding noise out of the hinge, I will just put a OLD FASHION door holder catch on and call it a day.
I was wondering if you ever fixed the problem with your friction hinges as we have the same problem.
Freedom1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:38 AM   #7

For some reason I can't get the link. However, if you go to Amazon and search "magnet door stop" you will find a multitude of door stops that work on the trailer door. We bought the Amazon choice with the 3M doublesided tape. The door stop has been on the fiver for over 16 months. Put the post on the wall, and the stub on the door. Afix the post as far out as possible to get the most leverage on the door to prevent wind from blowing it closed. Ours holds in a least 20 mph winds. Lastly, sinc it is spring loaded a push on the door releases it.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote