Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2015, 01:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpolsin View Post
I am leaning that way. my DW rolls her eyes everytime I spend time/money to modify the trailer. (she calls it my "mistress")
Be very grateful that you have a 'distraction' that you and the DW can share. A selfish one will cost you the marriage.

Keep communicating.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #22

I ordered a kit too. I'll investigate the void once I have the kit in hand to see what I could use it for. Party!
Old 06-19-2015, 01:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfawb0 View Post
I ordered a kit too. I'll investigate the void once I have the kit in hand to see what I could use it for. Party!
Storing Dachshounds, like ladamski!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:52 AM   #24

I just ordered the conversion kit from RV Wholesalers - $67 + $9 shipping. All other sites were selling this kit at a much higher price. Amazon and CW were the highest.

I will get pictures of my install when it shows up. I want to get it done before hunting season next month. (our deer camp command post is a KOA

Tim
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #25

I installed this and the one thing I don't care for is the locking ring on the female plug. It's plastic on plastic and easy to cross-thread.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:19 PM   #26

I've thought about doing this MOD but where we usually camp, I never have to pull the cord out of the "rat hole" more than 10' or so and never have an issue stuffing it back in. I thought I read somewhere on the Forum that it's best to have the entire cord pulled out no matter how long it was to the hookup, but I've never had a problem electrically with this method.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:41 PM   #27

Another reason for converting it is the fact insects like crawling up the cord & into your trailer.
b1mmuo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #28

My reason for conversion stems from a lack of confidence that the cord will stay in the hole. I had to pull over a few years ago after I was informed that 10ft of my cord had pulled out of the hole and was dragging on the highway.

Tim
Old 09-04-2015, 06:01 PM   #29

Oh, wow - thanks for posting about this. We're about to take off on a 10-night trip, with no time to make this mod before we go, but we have trouble getting the power cord back in, so we'll be doing this ASAP.
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:54 AM   #30

I got the kit in the mail. And I guess I'm making it harder than the directions indicate. I wanted to repurpose the power cable stowage space inside the mouse hole (located under my bathroom sink). Doing it by the directions would have probably taken about 2 hours, I'll probably end up using 8 hours over 4 days.

Instead of working all the splices at waist height on the outside of my trailer, I am on my belly on my bathroom floor. I've dismantled the wooden box that has served as the cable locker and have opened up the junction box where the splice between the TT wiring and the shore power cable.

I am using a short length of 10/2 ROMEX wire to go from the new outlet back to the junction box. Then I intend to put in a false floor to protect my water pipes, drain line, and new wire run.

I don't think I'm going to get to the false floor done until after hunting season. Hopefully I will have enough daylight tonight to work on the outside box.

Day 1 - disassemble interior cable stowage locker
Day 2 - unhook shore power cable and wire female Furrion connector
Day 3 - wire pig-tail to Furrion outlet. Figure out how to best remount the junction box and route the wires.
Day 4 – install Furrion outlet and splice the wires. Reinstall interference.

Tim
2008 Jflt G2 26BHS
Old 09-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #31

We're seriously considering getting the kit and having the dealer install it for us, as there's a bit of other work they have to do anyway. We are having a little less trouble stuffing the cord back in its hole, but we're seeing that the outside flange coming loose, so replacing the cord will involve replacing that, too, I guess.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:51 AM   #32

I like this mod a lot. One question though, is this installed from the outside as it appears in ladamski's photos? If so, I'm all in for this one. If not, not so much!
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:13 AM   #33

We don't know yet - haven't ordered the kit. It's on my to-do list for the weekend, though.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:49 PM   #34

Just finished the mod this weekend. In the end, it isn't much harder than replacing a household outlet. ...under a cabinet, with no room to work, and no light, and reading glasses that don't work for this task, with the goal of gaining better storage. Other than that, a piece of cake

The easiest way is as shown in the first few posts, where all the work is done outside the trailer.