Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2017, 11:53 PM   #1

Gas tee for grills

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	32633 I have a gas grill and a camp chef 3 burner stove.

I built a gas tee which makes my single auxiliary gas port into a double port so I can have both devices attached at the same time, no more changing gas lines depending on which stove I want to use.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:40 AM   #2

Fly,

Nice mod!!!

What kind of grill do you have? Ann have you tried the CAmp Chef with all three burners on high yet? Possibly with the grill on high at the same time?

I looked into doing something similar, but the guy at the local propane place didn't think I could run both our Camp Chef two burner stove and the grill (Coleman Roadtrip at the time) at the same time. Or two Camp Chef two burner stoves when our friends are with us. While I may not run both the grill and stove at the same time, we do have both the Camp Chefs going depending on the size of our group.

My plan was to have at least a 15' whip made, then the 3 outlet tee for the grill and stove. We hardly ever cook right at the trailer. But having a 32' rig, plus the ship length he figured it was to far after the regulator.

Looking forward to hearing the feedback of both running at the same time.

TY!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:46 AM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0637.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	32651
Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Fly,

Nice mod!!!

What kind of grill do you have? Ann have you tried the CAmp Chef with all three burners on high yet? Possibly with the grill on high at the same time?

I looked into doing something similar, but the guy at the local propane place didn't think I could run both our Camp Chef two burner stove and the grill (Coleman Roadtrip at the time) at the same time. Or two Camp Chef two burner stoves when our friends are with us. While I may not run both the grill and stove at the same time, we do have both the Camp Chefs going depending on the size of our group.

My plan was to have at least a 15' whip made, then the 3 outlet tee for the grill and stove. We hardly ever cook right at the trailer. But having a 32' rig, plus the ship length he figured it was to far after the regulator.

TY!
I have used my camp chef with all three burners at the same time, no issues nor did any seem like it wasn't getting enough gas.

My grill is a Nexgrill, I bought it at Costco a few years ago, it looks a lot like this one.

It won't be too common that I am using both cookers at the same time, especially with all burners running on both stoves.

I just built the tee, and I also have a 10' extension, I expect that I will loose some flow with the extension, if for no other reason due to the added resistance.

I have not yet been able to try this out yet, my next trip is in 3 weeks, camping with my daughter and her small family so I expect to use both stoves.

More than anything, it will be nice to not have to switch the hoses at the connector every time I change stoves.

I will try to remember to report back when I use it on my next trip
Attached Thumbnails
nexgrill.jpg  

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:51 PM   #4

How did this work on your last trip? Where did you get all the parts to put it together? I need to make something similar for my deer hunt in a few weeks.

2016 JayFlight X23F
11 Expedition EL
4 Girls under 8 yrs old
1 Wife
1 Dog
2 guinea pigs that stay home...
cbaka27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Fly,

Nice mod!!!

TY!

Hey need: The '15 BHDS32 has two ports: the one intended for the OEM twin burner and the rear one for the back grill. Those lines tee together under the rear kitchen. I'm pretty sure Jayco only runs 3/8" tube. And not a 1/2" that splits into twin 3/8.

We run the double burner and an accessory grill simultaneously all the time. I can't imagine those 1/4" ports on this adapter would be much different.

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #6

I haven't played with adding more Propane ports but do know some propane grills run on high pressure systems and others on low pressure systems.

You might want to check with others on here on which one will run your particular grill.

In my case I have the COLEMAN ROADTRIP unit and it has the 1 LB Propane Canister. Since I also have the MR BUDDY heater for back up heat i always have a good supply of the 1 LB propane canisters.

I just use them on my grill.. I personally don't like the idea of having my outside grill sitting right next to my trailer. Mine is setup at a right angle in the patio area...

Google Image

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:35 PM   #7

Craig,

Our 32 has two ports also at the rear. The concern the guy at the propane place had was that the Camp Chef stove has 2-30k btu burners, plus the grill (was a blue Coleman Road Trip like pictured above) that is now a Weber Q220 (12k btu burner I think it is) was that there may not be enough propane flow if the burners were all on due to the total length of propane hose from the regulator. It's possible if I didn't want an additional 15' whip, before the tee, then another ~3' hose to each stove, it may have worked hooked up the the rear port (s) with just a ~3' hose.

I know that the chance of all the burners being on and on high at the same time are probably pretty slim, but better safe than sorry.... even when cooking burgers we may be cooking corn on the cob, or fried potatoes (cubed and seasoned) in a pan, etc...

As a result after "window shopping" for I can't tell you how long, I finally broke down and bought a baby tank, a little 5lb'r. Got it used, and next thing I knew I ended up buying a second one (unfortunately a new one...) since I could fit two in a small, available spot....

Fly,

Adapter tee looks great!!! I do wonder how it's worked so far for you?

Roy,

I don't like cooking right next to the rig either. That's why I had looked into having a 15' whip made before the tee to the stove and grill. That way I could get it away from the rig some.

Chances are I will never use the outside stove top on our 32 for the same reason. That's why I am considering making a drawer to replace the stove top. Little more storage space for (outside) garbage bags, foil, etc.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:01 PM   #8

I finally broke down and bought a Coleman Road trip grill. I bought a kit to convert mine to use Low pressure propane. Included in that kit is a 12' quick connect hose. Like you
I've always been nervous cooking close to the camper.
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug View Post
I finally broke down and bought a Coleman Road trip grill. I bought a kit to convert mine to use Low pressure propane. Included in that kit is a 12' quick connect hose. Like you
I've always been nervous cooking close to the camper.
For me, it has sent a case of being nervous cooking somewhat close to the rig. But a case of not wanting to deal with the grease film from bacon, burgers, steak, etc that would end up being on the siding of the rig.

When we had just the Road Trip grill, I used to set it up by the front arm of the awning (perpendicular to the trailer), with the end of the side table about even with the awning edge. Even then would a grease film on the rig. And at that time we were usually only cooking for our family, even if with friends. Cooking evolved into a group thing, so we will set up a dedicated 10x10 Ez Up that houses all the cooking equipment.

Doodle,

Enjoy the RT grill. One thing I would suggest doing is to put water in the grease catch pan that surrounds the burners. I always hated clean up time of our RT, but would never remember to put water in it when setting up.... Those who use water say clean up is easier vs no water in the world pan....

Old 09-21-2017, 06:06 AM   #10
Site Team

I modified my Weber Q to work low pressure and tested it out on the onboard QC. As others stated, I don't want to be that close to the rig just for the smoke and cooking smells inside. My other concern is 2 fold. 1. Wasting a lot of LPG every time the long hose is disconnected, and 2. Using all my onboard LPG and having to go out looking for propane on a cold night.

What I did is get my hands on a 10 lb LP tank with a holder to keep it stable. I have another hose with a regulator at the tank and the same QC for the grill end. It has lasted me almost 2 years and I use it a lot for just cooking when camping. I carry it in my truck bed strapped down. I have had those 1 lb tanks vent in my storage area and it was kinda scary.

Side benefit, If for some reason I need some propane for a quick shot in case I run out, the 10 lb tank can be used on the camper temporarily, or if the 10 lb tank runs out I can use the onboard supply in a pinch to grill.

Multiple backup systems just like the space shuttle.

Sorry for the epistle!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote