Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2017, 09:37 PM   #1

Replacing fans in a Whitehawk

Need info or experience changing roof fans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thepoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:31 PM   #2

A Fan-Tastic fan is probably the 'gold standard.' It moves lots of air and is fairly quiet. But you need a fair amount of 'gold' to buy one and the roof sealant outside needs to be removed, the old flange removed, a new flange installed, and the new flange resealed on the roof.

We had one in a previous RV and really liked it.

IMO, a Vortex II fan is almost as good at moving air, almost as quiet, easy to install, costs less, and can be installed from the inside without messing with the sealant on the roof.

Our trailer now has 2 of the Vortex II fans.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
A Fan-Tastic fan is probably the 'gold standard.' It moves lots of air and is fairly quiet. But you need a fair amount of 'gold' to buy one and the roof sealant outside needs to be removed, the old flange removed, a new flange installed, and the new flange resealed on the roof.

We had one in a previous RV and really liked it.

IMO, a Vortex II fan is almost as good at moving air, almost as quiet, easy to install, costs less, and can be installed from the inside without messing with the sealant on the roof.

Our trailer now has 2 of the Vortex II fans.
X2 on the Fan-Tastic fans, and that's what I replaced ours with.

No experience with the Vortex II
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:12 AM   #4

I'm getting ready to replace my bathroom fan also, and I like the idea of not having to open up the roof to do so. Does anyone know if the Vortex 2 fan can be left on all the time while the TT is in storage to circulate the air?

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:57 AM   #5

Why do they bother putting in such tiny fans? We made the upgrade part of our deal with the dealer. Ours was a simple 3 speed unit, manual lid with lid closed shutoff. Really great for pulling air through the trailer and removing moisture and.... bathroom ambiance. You can get them with auto lids, rain sensors, thermostats, etc.
PeaceNCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
Does anyone know if the Vortex 2 fan can be left on all the time while the TT is in storage to circulate the air?
I suppose it could be if you were hooked up to power (or had solar). I like the Vortex idea and originally thought about replacing my original small bath fan with one. However, once I got up on the roof and discovered how cheap the hatch and hatch seal was, I decided to replace the entire thing. One with FantasticFan and the other kitchen one with Maxxair.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
snip... Does anyone know if the Vortex 2 fan can be left on all the time while the TT is in storage to circulate the air?
I don't know how long the fan motors would last on high speed all day and all night (24/7) trying to circulate air inside the TT.

If you want to keep the fan on low speed to exhaust air from the ceiling of your TT they'd be fine, IMO. Of course you would need to supply power to the TT and, if the TT is outside, have a vent cover (like a Camco or Maxxair) over the vent.

I have Maxxair covers over my 2 vents with Vortex II fans and leave the ceiling vents open all the time (TT is outside) but leave the fans off.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #8
Site Team

I installed the Vortex on my previous TT and used it for 7 years and it worked fine when I sold it. One of the first mods on my new one was a Vortex. For me being able to install from the inside without disturbing the seal was a big plus. From reviews the Fantastic fan moves more air however.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #9

I installed this fan in the bathroom of my Whitehawk 28 DSBH. It has a remote with 10 speed settings, it's two way so it draws air in or pushes air out. The remote also has a temperature gauge that lets you know the inside temp of the trailer. Rain sensor as well. I'm pretty sure its comparable to the Vortex. Ford/Chevy, you get the gist.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:13 PM   #10

Just a thought. I had a fantastic fan put in my white hawk. The best thing about it for me is the remote. Without it, I would be constantly climbing on the commode to reach the knobs on the fan. Just a thought in case you have short people camping with you!
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:38 PM   #11

Im a big fan of the Vortex. My budget and fear of breaking the factory roof seal lead me to that choice. It is loud but moves plenty of air in our SLX. I just recently bought a second one for the bathroom. I intend to use it more at night with the door partially closed for air w/o the noise. If your vents dont already have power like mine, you'll have to fish around for the power in the ceiling. (Mine was already very close to the opening)
izzyshouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I have Maxxair covers over my 2 vents with Vortex II fans and leave the ceiling vents open all the time (TT is outside) but leave the fans off.
2x - Covers are a must have.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #13

I replaced mine with Maxxair deluxe fans. I like being able to run the fan in the rain and leave the cover open. Mine has the built in cover. I had a Maxxair fan on my last rig and was happy with it.

Yes I had to break the seal on the roof, but after doing it, if you are even a little bit handy with tools, it is quite easy and is no where as scary as it sounds. Butyl tape under the flange and lots of Dicor around it and over the screws. I'm confident my installation was just as good, if not better, than the factory install!!
Old 02-23-2017, 06:42 AM   #14

Probably first mod I would recommend and this is not a mod to cheap out on. Fantastic Fan or Max Air. Getting rid of the oem vent system/cover is a must, they are flimsy and pretty much junk. Removing the old one is not a difficult task and the whole upgrade can be done in less than an hour. I had to do some mod to the inside shroud to deal with the deeper space between the ceiling and roof in my Whitehawk. Am not a big fan if the remote since we tend to set the speed and leave it alone. The fan is switched on the wall next to the bathroom light switch so set the fan to H/M/L and get on with your business. For the record we installed a Max Air II vent cover and pretty much leave it open 24/7. Have experienced 30/40 mph winds [tornados in the area] and two rounds of 3" plus of rain last week and with the vent open there was Zero rain inside.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:02 PM   #15

Vortex

The Vortex is certainly easy to install, and without removing/replacing the vent. Vortex II has slower speeds, but high really pulls out the air. Vortex I is cheaper and has only high speed. They are noisy, however.
Homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:30 PM   #16

Well thank you guys now I know what's my next mod is going to be, I have replace all three cover and install the Maxair vent cover and I will be replacing the fan in the bathroom.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:24 PM   #17

Bassdogs...how did you mod your inside shroud to deal with it being too short? Do you gave any pics?
Whammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:10 AM   #18

Didn’t have a fan, but just added the Heng’s Vortex II Fan Upgrade kit to my Starcraft and am very happy with it. Fairly quiet and moves a lot of air.
16WhiteColly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:34 AM   #19

Look at my latest post "will it work"......pics included!

My Smoker Adventure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BSZsmP5X78
Use code SPdiscount to buy on Amazon
Spower is offline   Reply With Quote