Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2015, 09:16 AM   #1

How to Carry Portable Waste Tanks

Well, we stayed at Chapman State Park in Pennsylvania over the Labor Day weekend. Great place; beautiful country, great campsite. What is most unique is that this is the first time I could convince the wife that we could stay at a site with only an electrical hookup; no water or sewer hookup. We showered in the bath house (very nice bath house) and managed the water supply and tanks fine. We dumped and flushed tanks on the way out. All went well.

Now that my wife has seen that we survived, I think we can do again. We have a potable waste tank – I call it a “turd-toter.” This would make managing the tanks a little easier.

My question: how do you carry your turd-toter? I don’t really want it inside the trailer or inside the truck. I made the PVC fence post storage for the sewer hose – that works great, as it is easy to deal with the hose and it is not in the trailer or truck. Is there a similar approach for a turd-toter?

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2015, 09:31 AM   #2

An excellent question, I to have purchased a Turd-Toter and have used it but put in back of truck. I have seen others who have it strapped on back of trailer. I purchased the 39 gallon one, so it's quite big and would also like to know some suggestions.

UpNorthMGOBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #3

I often see it bungee corded to the inside of the ladder on the back.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
I often see it bungee corded to the inside of the ladder on the back.
Yep, purchase a ladder chair rack, mount the EMPTY and rinsed/cleaned tote on the lip (our fits perfectly when turned-around), make sure it isn't covering tail lights, then strap it down so it is secure and doesn't bounce. Wish I could include a picture but the TT is at the storage lot ... maybe someone else can contribute a snap. Scroll-down on this thread to see an example.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:49 AM   #5

That won't work for me. I don't have a ladder on my trailer, but looking for a place to put my blue tote. I'm thinking maybe build a carrier under the back end of the trailer.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:18 PM   #6
Site Team

I have carried mine in the truck bed for years but lately have been looking at my rig. On the front underside of my front storage compartment, under where the generator would be mounted is a huge empty area. If I cut one metal brace, I think it will go up in there and I can strap or bungee it in. Mine is only 15 gallons.

I have not decided what to do yet. Some more measurements are in order.

I would be skeptical of hanging it under the rig. I have seen loose rocks and road debris that can knock a hole in it easily.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:21 PM   #7

Last weekend, on the drive home a TT pasted me. He had it stapped to the rear bumper. It looked as if he made a small shelf for it. I could not see what was truly between the tote the bumper, as it was smaller than the tote. My guess was a piece of plywood. I could see, a couple large U-bolts stratiling the bumper, assuming to hold the plywood.
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
Yep, purchase a ladder chair rack, mount the EMPTY and rinsed/cleaned tote on the lip (our fits perfectly when turned-around), make sure it isn't covering tail lights, then strap it down so it is secure and doesn't bounce. Wish I could include a picture but the TT is at the storage lot ... maybe someone else can contribute a snap. Scroll-down on this thread to see an example.
Looking at the under frame mount in the second link it appears to be above the axle and between the frame. Nicely done.
The latter rack works well for two lounge chairs that take too much space in the basement.
196? Shasta 16ft

Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:44 AM   #9

Whats wrong with carrying them in the back of the truck? That is where mine ride..
211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:54 PM   #10

I bolted a receiver to my 4 inch bumper and bungee strapped it to a hitch haul platform. Works great.

JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote