Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #1
dcv

Installation of Winegard Trav'ler SWM3 Satellite on a 339FLQS

Looking for installation ideas and wire routing locations for a Winegard Trav'ler SWM3 system on a 339FLQS. The TT is not pre prepped from factory for this unit.
dcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcv View Post
Looking for installation ideas and wire routing locations for a Winegard Trav'ler SWM3 system on a 339FLQS. The TT is not pre prepped from factory for this unit.
I don't have the exact same rig but similar enough. Mine is a 355MBQS.

Traveller wiring goes from dish and follows vent pipe through roof straight down into underbody. My installer build a shelf in my underbody and mounted my controller box and power inserter there. We disconnected the existing coax wiring from the back of the Sattelite and AUX inputs in my docking station and connected those to the SWM3 splitter using the existing wiring to all the tv's. We also added an additional drop in the underbody should I ever want to set up a TV outside.

It was really very simple and other than having the Traveler controller and power inserter inside the coach it is perfect. This eliminated lots of pulling cable and only took about a half hour to wire up. I can post some pictures for you tomorrow if you would like.

It's a very clean installation. My dealer came up with this. It was something I couldn't envision until they did it. I was going to do it myself and would have made a mess trying to pull wires.

I made no mention of this to DirecTV and simply called them and told them I wanted another box for my spare bedroom and my garage. They added them to my bill and sent them to me. I have one in the living room of the coach and another in the bedroom and they both work great. We also have two DVR's already at home and I think I'm going to swap one of those out and take it with us in the coach.

I'm very happy with the system. It works great and most of all it is so simple my wife can do it. Between the Traveller and the Autoleveling my wife has taken over most of my setup duties.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post

I made no mention of this to DirecTV and simply called them and told them I wanted another box for my spare bedroom and my garage. They added them to my bill and sent them to me.
Perfectly OK. Only problem will be if you travel out of your home area you will not get your local channels.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Perfectly OK. Only problem will be if you travel out of your home area you will not get your local channels.
You can get your locals, but you have to call DirecTV and ask them to change your "service address". They are fully aware that people use the service in their RV's and haven't had any issues with it. When I ordered an extra receiver, I told them it was for the RV and all they said was that we would still have to pay the monthly lease charge whether we used it or not.

We change our locals at least once a year. We don't bother for trips shorter than a week, but when we take an extended trip and will be in the same spot for an extended stay, we do it.

Just know that if you do that, it will change the locals on ALL of your receivers on the account whether still in your home or in your RV, and if you were recording something on your local channels at home while you were away, they wouldn't record properly.

It is also a "roll of the dice" on whether you get a CS rep that knows what they are doing and doesn't mess up the change, so I always double check the account info after they have finished. More than once, the rep changed our billing address as well as the service address and I had to call back a couple of times to get it all sorted out.

Another surprise we got was when we camped in Florida. Down there, you are charged 21.00+ for their regional sports packages that we don't pay for in Michigan. So while we were in Florida, with our "service address" there, our bill went up accordingly.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:03 AM   #5

Thanks for the heads up on the locals. Honestly at this stage it's really not an issue for us as there is zero news coming out of Seattle that I can tolerate anyway. We're still weekend warriors and just enjoy getting away from home and it's nice to have some of the comforts especially during our rainy season when we like to get away, but still kick back inside.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2016, 08:05 AM   #6

Now that it was mentioned what does happen when your outside your local area and you don't notify, do you get other local channels closers to your physical location or does just nothing come in?

Old 07-31-2016, 08:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Now that it was mentioned what does happen when your outside your local area and you don't notify, do you get other local channels closers to your physical location or does just nothing come in?

You just get a black screen with a no signal message. Spot beams for locals are quite large however, and depending on where you travel to, you may still get them. We go up north about 100 miles from home and still get them.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
You can get your locals, but you have to call DirecTV and ask them to change your "service address".
It is also a "roll of the dice" on whether you get a CS rep that knows what they are doing and doesn't mess up the change, so I always double check the account info after they have finished. More than once, the rep changed our billing address as well as the service address and I had to call back a couple of times to get it all sorted out.
FYI Dish works basically the same way and I've ran into the same address issue twice in the last 4 years with Dish. First time after returning home after a 6 week trip I got caught up with catching up with all the home stuff and a couple weeks later got a late notice from Dish. Checking my files I had never received a bill so I called them and the bill had been sent to my temp service address that was a campsite in a Florida State Park. The Sat companies don't seem to care if you are traveling with your home service, but their Customer service reps seem clueless. I've found that when you tell them the receiver is in your RV and you need to make a temporary change to the service address, they immediately want to switch you over to their RV service department and all they want to do is sign you up to their tempory RV service.

It is important to check with them when you head home, to change your service address to your home address and make sure your billing is correct.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
FYI Dish works basically the same way and I've ran into the same address issue twice in the last 4 years with Dish. First time after returning home after a 6 week trip I got caught up with catching up with all the home stuff and a couple weeks later got a late notice from Dish. Checking my files I had never received a bill so I called them and the bill had been sent to my temp service address that was a campsite in a Florida State Park. The Sat companies don't seem to care if you are traveling with your home service, but their Customer service reps seem clueless. I've found that when you tell them the receiver is in your RV and you need to make a temporary change to the service address, they immediately want to switch you over to their RV service department and all they want to do is sign you up to their tempory RV service.

It is important to check with them when you head home, to change your service address to your home address and make sure your billing is correct.
This is why I mentioned nothing about an rv when getting my spare relievers. My dad has has the same issues with billing and the potential loss of locals is the lessor of two evils for me.