Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #1

Insulation

We woke up to the view in the first image this morning.

We have had a very mild winter so far in Northern Montana, but cold is on the way. We are parked in a family members driveway so periodically we have to go dump. This is not conducive to skirting, but it will be happening this weekend. I just have to engineer it to be easily removable.

It is kind of frustrating that the lot next to us used to have a Class A on it. Completely set up. The guy wants $12,000 for an empty lot with a storage shed and hookups on it. Not gonna happen.

The insulating I have done is on the slides. That made a bigger difference than I thought it would. I did the top and sides, and will do the bottom of the bedroom slide when I do the skirting.
Attached Thumbnails
Dec2morning.jpg   BedroomFront.jpg   LRFront.jpg   LRRear.jpg  
Mdiwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:57 PM   #2

I've seen people insulate on the inside of their campers when parked long-term, but never on the outside. Are you sure your slides will come in with the insulation on there?

Did you investigate the cost of having the honey wagon come to you instead of you going to a dump station? May be worth the convenience, but not sure...never had it done before. You might also consider getting a macerator and using it to pump black or gray water into your family member's septic tank. Either option would allow you to skirt and insulate your camper without ever having to remove it to go dump.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by justman View Post
I've seen people insulate on the inside of their campers when parked long-term, but never on the outside. Are you sure your slides will come in with the insulation on there?

Did you investigate the cost of having the honey wagon come to you instead of you going to a dump station? May be worth the convenience, but not sure...never had it done before. You might also consider getting a macerator and using it to pump black or gray water into your family member's septic tank. Either option would allow you to skirt and insulate your camper without ever having to remove it to go dump.

The slides definitely will not go in. I have to take the insulation off, not a big deal. I need to get up there to remove the snow before closing anyway.

We are not in a park so no real honey wagon. I do have a cousin (small town, big family) who owns a port-a-poty business, I might give him a call.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #4
Site Team

Keep us informed and updated on this adventure. If you can make it through a Winter in Northern Montana in an RV you can anywhere! Best of luck.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Keep us informed and updated on this adventure. If you can make it through a Winter in Northern Montana in an RV you can anywhere! Best of luck.
The plan is to get out of here as soon after Christmas as possible. As long as we are here the grandparents and kid need to spend time together.

There are quite a few people who overwinter up here. They are definitely set up for it though.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:36 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdiwade View Post
The plan is to get out of here as soon after Christmas as possible. As long as we are here the grandparents and kid need to spend time together.

There are quite a few people who overwinter up here. They are definitely set up for it though.
OK that will be much easier then all Winter.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote