Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2016, 06:23 AM   #1

J-Steel Couch. I hate it

We have a '15 X213 that has a futon style j-steel couch. I think it's heavy, bumbling and I find it difficult to get underneath to the large storage area. I have a recurring back strain that makes it really unpleasant to get under there.

I'm curious if anyone has removed it and put another type of quick-fold-down options in the space, maintaining the storage, and also the fold-down(or out of the way) so the slide out can come in?

I do like it as a couch, but it is so heavy. It's not particularly attractive either, so I already put a custom cover on it...

Pics would be great, please give me your DIY mod ideas.

Becky~
beckyinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:53 AM   #2

I have two couches in my trailer and we've been thinking of removing one and adding two recliners. We really have no need for two sleeper sofas and it seems like a waste to me. The recliners will serve our purpose. Good luck on your search!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyinma View Post
We have a '15 X213 that has a futon style j-steel couch. I think it's heavy, bumbling and I find it difficult to get underneath to the large storage area. I have a recurring back strain that makes it really unpleasant to get under there.

I'm curious if anyone has removed it and put another type of quick-fold-down options in the space, maintaining the storage, and also the fold-down(or out of the way) so the slide out can come in?

I do like it as a couch, but it is so heavy. It's not particularly attractive either, so I already put a custom cover on it...

Pics would be great, please give me your DIY mod ideas.

Becky~
Just take it out. You can use the space to put some lightweight chairs, and have some room for company. Do you really "need" a sofa for sleeping?
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
Just take it out. You can use the space to put some lightweight chairs, and have some room for company. Do you really "need" a sofa for sleeping?
HA no, but DH says yes. I cant imagine putting more people in there to sleep on that uncomfortable thing besides the 4 people already in there! my concern is the storage. I would like to maintain it as storage. I could do a couple of those lightweight IKEA chairs, and a storage ottoman. I just have to convince the hubs that it's a good idea...

Old 07-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #5

This suggestion doesn't replace it, but you might be able to make the storage more usable. I realized that the front panel on our sofa is really only held in place with a couple of L-brackets. The position is the same on our X19H, but the external storage is underneath, although we are sometimes accessing from the top. I am seriously considering adding a couple of hinges and latches to the front panel of the sofa so I can lift or drop it out of the way for interior access as well (stuff tends to get shoved to the back and is hard to reach). This mod might make it a bit more liveable.

If you are going to remove it and replace it I think it will be hard to find something that will fit on the X213. With the slide running over the top of the sofa whatever you replace it with can't have arms and must be fairly flat. Maybe a couple of chairs that you can tip over on their side to clear the slide?
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
This suggestion doesn't replace it, but you might be able to make the storage more usable. I realized that the front panel on our sofa is really only held in place with a couple of L-brackets. The position is the same on our X19H, but the external storage is underneath, although we are sometimes accessing from the top. I am seriously considering adding a couple of hinges and latches to the front panel of the sofa so I can lift or drop it out of the way for interior access as well (stuff tends to get shoved to the back and is hard to reach). This mod might make it a bit more liveable.

See..... This is why I put my little rants online, because someone somewhere will come up with the perfect solution... Solution: the skirt, like yours is lightly attached. Ours is into the frame support under the couch (2x4's) with a whopping, TWO 3" wood screws. Take out the wood screws and the skirt is free to move. Hubs had several hard-drive magnets laying around, so one behind each end of the couch frame, and one screwed into the ends of the skirt, and viola, problem solved, and the magnets are super strong. I will probably add a couple of black drawer pulls to match the kitchen hardware. That will bring the total investment up to about $6.

I'll add pics as soon as hubs texts them to me...

I can deal with this solution, over the work of removing the furniture and purchasing expensive new stuff. Plus, we would've had to deal with decorative covers for the hvac and electrical wiring that's at the back of the storage area. Now we don't.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:21 PM   #7

Quit your complaining honey...it's all done:

Jayco X213 Under Couch Access Mod – Restricted Ayerspace
X213_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by X213_2015 View Post

Old 07-29-2016, 05:46 AM   #9

Love the magnet idea. Our J-steel framing is different (more metal framing) which should make this even easier. Since I lent you my idea, I hope you don't mind if I borrow yours!
Old 07-29-2016, 06:06 AM   #10

Steel away (pun intended) - I might actually pick up some of the referenced magnets in my blog post. Alternatively if you get some "strong" magnetic cabinet catches those may work too. I would mount the steel plate to the skirt and the magnet to the frame.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Love the magnet idea. Our J-steel framing is different (more metal framing) which should make this even easier. Since I lent you my idea, I hope you don't mind if I borrow yours!
by all means! Oh, and instead of drawer pulls to remove the panel to access underneath, I screwed on some grosgrain ribbon as a pull-tab, just below the magnets on the skirt, so it didn't interfere with the magnets. It was just long enough to stick out front enough to put a finger in and pull on. No Extra weight.

Enjoy!
Old 10-12-2016, 09:04 PM   #12

Does The Skirt Always Have Screws?

I have a 15 X213, and my couch skirt is not held on with any screws that I can find. Are they behind the wood frame as I would expect or are they covered by the upholstery? Could there be nails under the upholstery? Could it be glued on? Has everyone who's tried this mod found something other than screws? Would like to do this but I don't want to put a crowbar to it to find out!
CmpLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:59 AM   #13

If you look at my post here: Jayco X213 Under Couch Access Mod – Restricted Ayerspace

The first picture shows a vertical 2-by vertical between the floor and the bottom of the steel couch frame. There were two screws through the back of this 2-by material into the back of the skirt panel. They are a little hard to see but you should be able to feel around and find them. Unless of course they switched to using construction adhesive...in which case options are limited for removal.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:19 PM   #14

CmpLover - not sure that it is clear from above, so just in case...

You can access the back of the panel (and the screws mentioned above) by pulling the J-Steel partially open to a 30-45 degree angle and then craning your neck inside. Bring a flashlight, it can be dark in there. You can see the angle from X213_2015's link.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:39 PM   #15

Well, that's what is confusing. I've felt behind that 1x2 and stuck my head in there. There are no screws, screw holes, nothing. It's totally smooth. That's why I'm asking if anyone has seen the skirt attached in any other way?
CmpLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:06 AM   #16

You guys are working on removing your couches, I'm trying to make sure mine stays in place

The section of the couch that makes the L-shape in my trailer was held to the wall by two screws. It gets a rough ride going down the road and broke the two screws so I need to come up with a better method to hold it in place. Jayco just drives a couple of long wood screws into the outside wall to keep it where it's supposed to be.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote