Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2014, 07:06 AM   #1

Jayflight 28BHBE Bunk Bed Mattress Mod

The mattress that comes on the bunk beds in our new Jayflight 28BHBE is pretty weak.

There is a dealer in foam and fabric where we live. My DW took our sons and one mattress to the dealer. They boys tried foam pieces in varying depths and density. They selected a pretty firm foam that was five inches thick. The dealer cut the foam to shape. We placed the new foam on the bunks and put the stock mattress on top of the foam. Now it is like a rather firm pillow-top mattress.

I am 6'3" and weigh 250 lbs. I fit in the bunks well and they are now quite comfortable to me. I think the boys will do well and be very comfortable.

Cost was $140 for each foam piece, cutting to shape included.

Now we need to shorten the window curtains on the lower bunk. The top bunk window curtains were already shorter.

A simple mod, but one that should pay dividends when the boys sleep well.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSELL5000 View Post
The mattress that comes on the bunk beds in our new Jayflight 28BHBE is pretty weak.....A simple mod, but one that should pay dividends when the boys sleep well.
I felt the same way about the cheesy Jayco bunk mattresses. I took a cheaper way out (did not have access to foam dealer) so I bought a king-sized 3" memory foam mattress from Amazon and cut it in two pieces to create a "topper". I used the OEM bunkbed matress to trace (one was 30" I believe and the other 39") and then cut the king to size. I placed the memory foam on top of the jayco cheese matress and put a twin fitted bed sheet over to keep everything together.
Honda EU3000is
DW, DD x 2 (10 y/o twins), DS x 2 (8 & 6 y/o), and "Oscar" the Weiner Dog
rtbreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #3

We bought a used 29 BHS and the double mattress was horrific. You could feel nearly every coil cutting into your ribs. So a local foam dealer cut a piece of 4.5 inch foam. World of difference. The previous owner removed the queen mattress and put in a standard pillow top mattress. We plan to replace it with a Select Comfort queen.
stepheneadams is offline   Reply With Quote