Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #1

Jensen DVD/CD/MP3 player

During our first trip out in our new to us 2011 Pinnacle LKTS, I was not impressed with the quality of the DVD playback from the Jensen AWM975 AM/FM DVD/CD/MP3 player.

When I pulled the TV away from the wall I noticed a common three wire RCA cable connection from the player to the TV; red and white audio and yellow video plugs. The AWM975 has one HDMI port but was unused since RCA cables provide a cheap connection. A new HDMI cable brought immediate improvement and 1080i (or 1080p?) quality to the HDTV screen.

The attached pictures shows our set up with the player located just above the TV. The RCA cable plugs were wrapped in poor quality electricians tape (a gooy mess!) to make them more secure. One picture shows a noise suppressor found inline with the two audio cables. The last picture shows the new HDMI cable and the capped RCA cables at the back of the player after the longer RCA cable and suppressor were removed.

If your player and TV are HDMI compatible this is a nice upgrade. I hope someone finds this helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1591.jpg   IMG_1595.jpg   IMG_1597.jpg   IMG_1600.jpg   IMG_1603.jpg  

Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:32 AM   #2

Thanks for the info and the pics. I was going to pull out our unit to check on the antenna cable. For some reason reception with the radio has gotten worse. I will check the HDMI connection while I'm at it. I know our tv has one so can't figure out why Jayco never connected the two. Thanks again.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:58 AM   #3

While we are talking about the Jensen, my daughter put a DVD in mine last week to play a video for the grandchildren. It played fine, but will not eject the DVD. This was the first time the Jensen had ever had a DVD in it.

Any ideas how to get it to eject? This sucks.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #4

I have the same Jensen and the picture quality is poor. I never looked at the back of it and guessed the reason they used the out of date RCA cable was the Jensen didn't have an HDMI plug. Great to hear it does. I'll double check mine and then pick up a short cable.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulx213 View Post
I have the same Jensen and the picture quality is poor. I never looked at the back of it and guessed the reason they used the out of date RCA cable was the Jensen didn't have an HDMI plug. Great to hear it does. I'll double check mine and then pick up a short cable.
Paul,

I hope you have success improving your picture quality to HD when playing HD DVD's. If you do have the Jensen AWM975, it will say HDMI at the bottom of the player just right of the Jensen logo as the picture of my player shows.

Let us know what how things turn out.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8shooter View Post
During our first trip out in our new to us 2011 Pinnacle LKTS, I was not impressed with the quality of the DVD playback from the Jensen AWM975 AM/FM DVD/CD/MP3 player.

When I pulled the TV away from the wall I noticed a common three wire RCA cable connection from the player to the TV; red and white audio and yellow video plugs. The AWM975 has one HDMI port but was unused since RCA cables provide a cheap connection. A new HDMI cable brought immediate improvement and 1080i (or 1080p?) quality to the HDTV screen.

The attached pictures shows our set up with the player located just above the TV. The RCA cable plugs were wrapped in poor quality electricians tape (a gooy mess!) to make them more secure. One picture shows a noise suppressor found inline with the two audio cables. The last picture shows the new HDMI cable and the capped RCA cables at the back of the player after the longer RCA cable and suppressor were removed.

If your player and TV are HDMI compatible this is a nice upgrade. I hope someone finds this helpful.
When you changed the wires, did you have to change any settings?

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #7

Nice pictures and write up

We typically do not use the park cable, we normally watch TV off the Satellite Dish, we have the Dish Receivers HDMI output connected directly to the TVs HDMI input so we get great HD picture and the Satellite Reclevers Left and Right Audio output connected directly to the Jensen Audio input which gives us a big improvement in sound quality.

Also we bought the Jensen 12 Volt Sub Woofer mounted it behind the fireplace and connected it to the Jensen system, it made a dramatic improvement in the overall sound quality.

I connected the Sub Woofer to Channel "C" (which is the outside speakers) and put a A/B switch on Channel "C" so I can switch between the Sub Woofer and the Outside Speakers.

We watch DVDs on our Jensen unit all the time, with the Sub Woofer addition sounds and works great.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #8

Hi Gibby,

No changes were necessary, just removed the RCA cables and replaced with the HDMI.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #9

Hi Robert,

I like your sub woofer idea and the A/B switch on channel C, thanks for that info.

Do you have a Jensen model number for the sub woofer or should I just do a google search? Also, since it's a 12v component, how or where did you make the power connection. I'm also considering going with a satellite system so any further input on that topic would be welcomed. I like the idea of a roof mounted dish, mostly for security reasons (less likely to walk away), but a portable dish would provide better flexibility to have a clear sky. A neighboring MH RV we are parked near has a pole lashed to his rear ladder with the satellite dish at the top. It appears to be a standard dish.

Thanks again for the sub woofer idea.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #10

This is the one we have was bought off EBay, it was a display model that had never been used.
Got it for $75, works great.
It is powered by the same 12 VDC that powers the rest of the Audio equipment.
The neat thing about it is the Jensen DVD / Amp turns the Sub Woofer on and off, you supply it 12 VDC power then there is a control wire that connects to the DVD / Amp so the Sub Woofer is only on when the Amp is on.

We use a Tripod Dish with a 75 Ft cable, if it was roof mounted it would be blocked at most sites we stay at.

I have a good Satellite Meter (Accutek III) and use the Dish Pointer App on my I Phone, setup time only takes about 5 minutes.

http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/jensen...subwoofer.html
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post
This is the one we have was bought off EBay, it was a display model that had never been used.
Got it for $75, works great.
It is powered by the same 12 VDC that powers the rest of the Audio equipment.
The neat thing about it is the Jensen DVD / Amp turns the Sub Woofer on and off, you supply it 12 VDC power then there is a control wire that connects to the DVD / Amp so the Sub Woofer is only on when the Amp is on.

We use a Tripod Dish with a 75 Ft cable, if it was roof mounted it would be blocked at most sites we stay at.

I have a good Satellite Meter (Accutek III) and use the Dish Pointer App on my I Phone, setup time only takes about 5 minutes.

http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/jensen...subwoofer.html
Thanks Rob for the additional info.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
While we are talking about the Jensen, my daughter put a DVD in mine last week to play a video for the grandchildren. It played fine, but will not eject the DVD. This was the first time the Jensen had ever had a DVD in it.

Any ideas how to get it to eject? This ****s.
If you still haven't reclaimed the DVD look on the front panel for a very small hole near the CD/DVD slot. Not certain that there is one but on many players you can manually eject a disc with a straightened paperclip.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote