Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #1

Ladder Idea for Bunks

anyone have a floor plan with bunks with out a kid ladder? my 6 year old loves his new bunk but I need a way for him to get up and down on his own. any ideas? I don't want a big eye sore sitting in the trailer always in the way, I though about a ladder on the bathroom door but not sure if its strong enough. I have a 23K jay feather with triple bunks any ideas? thanks.
dj'stoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #2

PVC pipe ladder

Attached is a photo (albeit a little grainy) of our solution to the same problem. Made with PVC pipe and connectors from Home Depot. Simply glued together and works great for the kids and I have had no problem climbing on it when necessary. Good Luck.
lilamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:17 PM   #3

That's a good idea. Too bad the picture was so grainy. Could you explain how you secured the rungs? It looks like it should be fairly light.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #4

The pieces are simply connected with t connectors used in plumbing. It was a lot of cutting as the rungs and the pieces between the connectors were all quite short, but easy cutting. I will take a better picture this weekend if it will be of assistance. I pretty much did trial and error but didn't glue together until all fit properly. My six year old was the chief engineer of the project and picked the color.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #5

Same issue here - Jayco 'dropped the ball' when they thought out access to the top bunks on the 23k! My 10yo sleeps up top and will eventually damage the walls/bunk the way she scrambles up there! I've been scratching my head on trying to figure out making access easier for the kids....I like your ladder, though..cheap & easy!

My original thought, in order not to restrict access to the lower bunk & cupboards, was to build a very narrow ladder along the side wall beside the bathroom door - the only thing I haven't come up with is a way to protect the wall itself from foot-scuffs....

Nice to see I'm not the only 23k owner! What to you tow with? We just pulled 5,000km from Ottawa to Victoria, across the prairies and over the rockies. Overall our Envoy did well....

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:06 PM   #6

McMONK. Actually our trailer is the 213.

The scrambling up the shelves on the side is what expedited my ladder building. The kids would have been quite content playing jungle gym till something got broken.

I pull our trailer with a Nissan Frontier. Pulls reasonably well and has done the Rockies but like you I just take it easy.

A move across the country to Victoria isn't a bad thing. Enjoy the island. Lots of great camping there. I would do more there if the ferry wasn't so cost prohibitive.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #7

Yup ... just learning our way around and loving the experience! Hey, I grew up in Aldergrove & POCO...left 22 years ago to see the world...if you ever get across throw me a note!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #8

Here is the ladder I built for my 5 year old. The sides are 1x3 oak, and the rungs are 1 inch oak dowels. The dowels go into the sides 3/8" for strength. It holds me just fine-210 lbs. I stained it to match the wood in our TT. I used L brackets on top to go over the edge of the bunk to hold it in place. I know it isn't exactly "cheap and easy" but I wanted something that would look nice.

Good luck,
Dave

2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH "No Worries II"
2011 F-250 Super Duty Lariat, 6.7L PSD "The Mistress"
B&W Companion slider
mach8274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #9

Dave,

Really nice ladder; wish I had some of your woodworking skills!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #10

Very nice ladder. I may borrow your idea for my 29BHS. Thanx!
Bearly51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #11

Nice looking ladder. Round steps are fine for kids but would probably kill an old fat person.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #12

Smile Bunk Bed Ladder Installation

Bunk Bed Ladder Installation.zip
I have attached a zip file with instructions on purchasing and installing a bunk bed ladder. The instructions are for the 2010 Eagle Super Lite 28.5BHS 5th Wheel, but you can use the included math formulas for any trailer. This was very easy to install and it looks like the 5th Wheel came with the bunk ladder! My 5 year old and 8 year old kids love it! Anyone can do this! It is easy!
janepatm is offline   Reply With Quote