Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #61

Thanks..I'm gonna try that!
ACA6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #62
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwjbw View Post
Here are some pictures of the LEDs that I (and jpeake) picked up on ebay.

Packaging

Attachment 1301

Stock light vs 42 LED, Stock is slightly brighter, but of course hotter and uses (much) more power.

Attachment 1302

Left is 25 LED Right 42 LED, almost seems like the 25 LED might be brighter, but it's really hard to say.

Attachment 1303

Over all, I'm happy with the LED lights and really like (very low) power usage
What does it cost to change out one of these double bulb RV lights to the LED`s? I`m thinking I would only need a few changed over for boondocking and just not use the other lights, is that what you did?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
What does it cost to change out one of these double bulb RV lights to the LED`s? I`m thinking I would only need a few changed over for boondocking and just not use the other lights, is that what you did?
The 42 LED bulbs are about $5/each and the 25 LED bulbs are $3 from ebay seller "dl-autotech". He has a good stock, ships super fast and shipping is free

I would go with the 42 LED version for max power savings. Same brightness as the 25 LED version but close to half the power. But even the 25 LED bulbs are 90% less than the stock 921's.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:02 AM   #64

Dry camped this weekend with my crappy Interstate HD24-DP (37Ah) and all LED lights in the trailer. It was cold at night, in the 40's so we ran the furnace at 65 degrees both nights. Battery made it all weekend, but it was getting pretty low. I discharged it more than i should have. The LED's performed well, that little battery would never have made it without them.

I ended up replacing every bulb in the trailer, even the ones over the sink that i was gonna leave 921. I am happy with it and will be sticking with the LED bulbs. But I may make a couple changes.

I see the Command Electronic kits (the K-900, 0.47 A), but those are way too bright for my taste. But they also have a smaller board (K-0031 0.33 A), 21 LED's instead of 30 for $18.95. I may get four of those and put them in the double fixtures in the main living area. They are as bright as the stock 921, and still save lots of power. Might be a good compromise of brightness, power and money. I am just worried that running them will make my other LED's look too blue by contrast...

I also see now that the crappy little battery the dealer installed needs to go. I think I may try the Sam's Club golf cart batteries, and put the Interstate in my kid's Gator.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeake View Post
snip......I also see now that the crappy little battery the dealer installed needs to go. I think I may try the Sam's Club golf cart batteries, and put the Interstate in my kid's Gator.
May want to consider two 6V deep cycle golf cart batteries thus reducing the depth-of-discharge on your weekend dry camping trips (increase battery life). The furnace motor is one of the bigger amp hogs, especially maintaining higher temps.

My twin 6V upgrade: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=2752

I went with the K-900 UPG LED's, but I didn't put two LED boards in every twin light fixture, just went with one LED board and pulled the remaining bulb.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
May want to consider two 6V deep cycle golf cart batteries thus reducing the depth-of-discharge on your weekend dry camping trips (increase battery life). The furnace motor is one of the bigger amp hogs, especially maintaining higher temps.

My twin 6V upgrade: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=2752

I went with the K-900 UPG LED's, but I didn't put two LED boards in every twin light fixture, just went with one LED board and pulled the remaining bulb.

Bob
I've had that thread bookmarked already. Excellent write up and will be my reference when I take the plunge. Were you the guy that did the bogart monitoring system also? That is a pretty slick little gadget.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip......Were you the guy that did the bogart monitoring system also? That is a pretty slick little gadget.
Yes......, and the Tri-Metric by Bogart Engineering is a great tool for the boondocker.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 06-14-2011, 06:28 AM   #68
Site Team

I noticed that my rig came with 2 12v batteries standard. Is that normal or a extra upgrade on the Eagle.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I noticed that my rig came with 2 12v batteries standard. Is that normal or a extra upgrade on the Eagle.
that's cool! what batteries are they?
Old 06-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Since you don't have hydraulic landing gear and/or slides, the RV dealer supplied/installed them. I know that some dealers install two 6V Marine/RV batteries in lieu of one 12V Marine/RV battery, but two 12V Marine/RV batteries is new to me. It's possible that do to all the electric features (rear/front jacks, awning, slides, 90 AMP converter, etc.) on the Eagle and Pinnacle FW's that two 12V's are required for AMP capacity.

Good question, hope someone has the answer.

Bob

ps: FW's with hydraulic landing gear and/or slides the factory will supply/install the battery so that the RV transporters can operate the hydraulics.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 06-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #71

Quote:
The 42 LED bulbs are about $5/each and the 25 LED bulbs are $3 from ebay seller "dl-autotech". He has a good stock, ships super fast and shipping is free

I would go with the 42 LED version for max power savings. Same brightness as the 25 LED version but close to half the power. But even the 25 LED bulbs are 90% less than the stock 921's.
I've decided to replace the two lights above the couch, I was not sure if I really wanted to in case the orangish original lights were better for reading. However after realizing how much heat the give if, I've decided to replace them with LED. After replacing these last two lights, my entire X20E will then be outfitted with LED (on the inside).

Looks like dl-autotech does not have any more of the 42LED 921 bulbs I bought last time. I'm getting 2 of the 28 LED bulbs. They look to be the same as the 25LED but with 4 LEDs on the end instead of just 1.

It just amazes me how much heat the original bulbs give us.

- Justin
jbwjbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #72

Two night out at a site without electric.

Ran the fridge, water heater, lights, and water pump, going though almost the whole fresh water tank (~26 gal or so). At the end of the camping trip, the gauge still showed full battery! I give a lot of credit to the LED bulbs!

- Justin
Old 07-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwjbw View Post
Two night out at a site without electric.

Ran the fridge, water heater, lights, and water pump, going though almost the whole fresh water tank (~26 gal or so). At the end of the camping trip, the gauge still showed full battery! I give a lot of credit to the LED bulbs!

- Justin
Or a bad guage? I'm surprised the battery wasn't down at least a bit after running the water pump through a tank of water (assuming the fridge and water heater were running on propane).
Old 07-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Or a bad guage? I'm surprised the battery wasn't down at least a bit after running the water pump through a tank of water (assuming the fridge and water heater were running on propane).
With a few things running it would show 2/3, with everything off at the end of trip, it was full.

Justin