Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2016, 10:29 AM   #21

You can buy the regular Maxx Air vent cover and add 2 hinges to one side for your flip up when needed. You can also change out the the nut and bolt on the other side with a SST bolt and wing nut and lock washer. That's what I did and it's quick and easy to service for that wayward leaf that Norty says " will drive you nuts".
Old 03-25-2016, 04:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Also - which Fantastic Fan model are you guys swapping into your Jay Flights? It seems like there are multiple models...
Last year I installed the Fantastic Fan with the thermostst with forward/reverse. Can't recall the Model number but search the internet for the best price. Very easy install but be careful not to cut the roof material while you are taking off the caulking. Don't ask me how I know.
We love our fan and so does the dog when we are gone,,,,the thermostat keeps the TT comfortable.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyshouz View Post
I removed the original fan and installed the vortex fan. It installs in the original opening without the need to break any of the original roof seals. It wasn't that bad to install. This spring im adding the Maxx air ii. I totally forgot about the stink-pipe clearance. Now im nervous it won't fit.

This is interesting! How is it holding up? I see they have a Vortex II out, is that what you have?. I watched a couple of videos online on how to install this unit. Seems pretty straight forward and reasonable price. Looks like the hardest part is getting the stock fan bracket out. I like the 3 forward and 2 reverse speeds.
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:59 AM   #24

This may be a silly question, but I will ask anyway. The purpose of a vent cover is to allow you to have the vent open during the rain since the cover has angled lovers that deflect the rain. My question is if it is raining hard will the rain still get in from bouncing off the roof and up into the cover / vent and possibly into the camper? I know that the filter may also help to deflect splashing rain but for those that take the filter out have you experienced any water getting into the camper?
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:31 PM   #25

This is what I have (background left):

The Fantastic vent cover is a great match for the Fantastic Fan. No rain gets inside. Plus, see the adjacent vent pipe in close proximity to the vent. The Fantastic vent cover fits the vent like a glove unlike the Maxxair which was too wide and could not be fitted because of the vent pipe.
2013 RAM 1500 V6/TF8/3.55
sebring96hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_26 View Post
This may be a silly question, but I will ask anyway. The purpose of a vent cover is to allow you to have the vent open during the rain since the cover has angled lovers that deflect the rain. My question is if it is raining hard will the rain still get in from bouncing off the roof and up into the cover / vent and possibly into the camper? I know that the filter may also help to deflect splashing rain but for those that take the filter out have you experienced any water getting into the camper?
Filter? Don't know about a filter but for the most part the slant of the louvers stops any rain that beats on the roof. I did have a slight issue with the front cover in my fiver. The roof was at such a slant that I did get a small amount of rain in a downpour but that was an unusual case and I replaced that cover with one having a longer bevel section. If the roof is level, (parallel to earth ), there is no problem.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote