Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2014, 07:23 AM   #1

Mods.

Sorry that I have not posted any pictures of our new Jayco Eagle 266RKS.We went on our maiden voyage to Gatlinburg three weeks ago and everything went fine. Going again for the 4th. I have been busy changing things and moding. Here are a few of the things I have done so far. Changed those stupid windows in the doors that let all the light and heat in but you can't see out of. I replaced them with dark tinted glass that stops the heat and light yet I can see out. Installed black Max-Air vent covers on all three vents to match my black AC. Installed black Winegard digital antenna. Now everything on roof is black. I like it! Installed new Samsung 24" LED TV in bedroom on a MorRide swivel mount. Installed hold down clips for min-blinds in kitchen, now we can travel with blinds down to keep out heat, don't know why Jayco doesn't install these $1.00 parts? Installed Atwood bi-fold stove cover. Installed Coleman digital thermostat. Installed a permenant surge-guard and voltage protector from Progressive that protects against everything! Added LED light bulbs in bathroom, wife complained about not enough light for makeup. Installed a Oxegenics shower head. Have been filling a few holes that I found in floor and walls and other odds and ends. I think that I have changed most things that I want to except for tires. I am upgrading the 8 plies to Carlisle 10 plies and getting them balanced before we head West! Will try and post some pics. soon.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:29 AM   #2

Like the black vent cover idea...mathching works for me too! Enjoy!

FireCapt564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCapt564 View Post
Like the black vent cover idea...mathching works for me too! Enjoy!
Yeah I like the Black, think it looks more "high end."
Old 06-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #4

Where did you get the replacement window for the door? I would also like to be able to see through the window.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post
Where did you get the replacement window for the door? I would also like to be able to see through the window.
I went to my local glass store and they ordered me two new pieces of glass. Even though the trim around the window has round corners, when you remove the trim the glass has square corners. I took a window with me and let them measure it so that if it was wrong , not my fault. The only difference was the thickness, the original is 3/16 and the thinnest that they could order the "Graylite" which is the darkest, in tempered was 1/4. The extra 1/16 fit just fine and I actualy like it for the extra sound and insulation benefit. Be prepared though, they are not cheap! It is also easier if you have a helper so you don't push the window thru the door. I also sealed the glass to the frame on both sides with silicone, the original was only sealed to the outside frame. Hope this was helpful?
Old 06-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #6

Congratulations! on the 266RKS! You have been one busy cowboy, with all the mods. I agree 100% on the mini-blind retaining clips. That was one of the first things I did on mine, too. Couple of other things that I did (and Jayco should have): I found one of those 1/2-circle stick on door bumpers in almond to put on the hallway wall, so the bathroom door knob wouldn't put a hole in it; also put smaller/flatter stick-on door bumpers on the inside of the exterior doors to keep the screen doors from rattling so much.

Hope you enjoy your 266 as much as I do mine. IMHO, it's just about the perfect trailer for 1 or 2 people (in my case 1 + dog) who like to have a little space to move around in.

Happy Camping!
Old 06-29-2014, 06:41 PM   #7

What is your Coleman digital thermostat?
I can't find it on google
Philpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpaint View Post
What is your Coleman digital thermostat?
I can't find it on google
I bought mine on Amazon. Part #AR7853, this is for a black one. They also make a white one.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Congratulations! on the 266RKS! You have been one busy cowboy, with all the mods. I agree 100% on the mini-blind retaining clips. That was one of the first things I did on mine, too. Couple of other things that I did (and Jayco should have): I found one of those 1/2-circle stick on door bumpers in almond to put on the hallway wall, so the bathroom door knob wouldn't put a hole in it; also put smaller/flatter stick-on door bumpers on the inside of the exterior doors to keep the screen doors from rattling so much.

Hope you enjoy your 266 as much as I do mine. IMHO, it's just about the perfect trailer for 1 or 2 people (in my case 1 + dog) who like to have a little space to move around in.

Happy Camping!
Yeah I added a rubber bumper to the door knob and some felt pads to the bottom edge of our sink covers so they wouldn't grind on the rim of our undermount sink. The solid surface covers are quite heavy. I have made many small additions, too numerious to list them all. I have listed most of the major one's. We really like the 266RKS floorplan. We were dissapointed when we learned they were not offering it for 2015. Thats why I had to drive 500 miles to find a 2014 with all the options that we wanted.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 316 View Post
Installed black Max-Air vent covers on all three vents to match my black AC.
I am trying to decide between the black and smoke colors. Does the black block out a significant amount of light? I am worried to they will block too much light and make it dark inside during the daytime. My thought is the smoke color would let more light in. Thoughts?????????????

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslarson View Post
I am trying to decide between the black and smoke colors. Does the black block out a significant amount of light? I am worried to they will block too much light and make it dark inside during the daytime. My thought is the smoke color would let more light in. Thoughts?????????????
Yes the black does block a good bit of light. I don't have a problem with that in the day and especially at night. I didn't think that the smoke would look right with my black AC. If you want as much light as possible, you may want to go with the smoke. What color is your AC? That would be a factor for me, I wanted everything to match.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 316 View Post
Yes the black does block a good bit of light. I don't have a problem with that in the day and especially at night. I didn't think that the smoke would look right with my black AC. If you want as much light as possible, you may want to go with the smoke. What color is your AC? That would be a factor for me, I wanted everything to match.
My AC is black also, and I would like them to match as you do. My wife is concerned about the light loss. I think it would be ok as there is another skylight in the living area and the shower skylight lets in lots of light too. I need to talk her into the black, let's see how that goes!

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:53 AM   #13

I hope everyone realizes that black absorbs heat and will make your A/C work harder..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:50 AM   #14

I'm getting clear for a lot less money and taking it to an auto tint shop and selecting the shade I like.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote