Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #1

More thoughts and mods on LED lights

We do a lot of camping at state parks without electricity. With the purchase of a new camper last year, I started to try to cut our electrical consumption by installing led lights. Like everyone else, I had a hard time getting it right. I started by purchasing several 30 led light assemblies from Command Electronics. I found that one of the lights was much brighter than having two standard 921 bulbs on in a double fixture. I ended up removing both 921 bulbs from my fixtures and installing one 30 light led assembly. Next I purchased some flat round 10 light leds from superbrightleds.com. Using two of these in a double fixture puts out a nice amount of light, but dimmer than having two 921 bulbs in a double fixture. We use this combination in our bunk lights, couch and dining table areas. Not really great for bright task lighting. Next I purchased a few 21 light assemblies from Command Electronics. This is a much better size light, not blinding bright. I think this is a pretty good all-around light, but still pretty bright to put two in a double fixture. Next I purchase some on-off-on switches model P2-61, manufactured by Diamond switch. By replacing the current on-off switch and rewiring the fixture, I can use the switch to turn on one light or the other. Or by a different wiring combination, I can turn on just one light or both. Depending on where the light will be located will dictate how and if I will modify the fixture. For instance in the bathroom, I have one 30 led bulb and one 10 led bulb, this way when you need good light to see in the mirror, you have it, but getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, you can use the dim one. I did some in the kitchen this way too, now we have task lighting and mood lighting. In the picture are all the bulbs I have tried. The black switch in the fixture is the new one.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1815.JPG  

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #2

That was a great write up. It was easy to understand and made sense. I was amazed at the number of fixtures in our trailer. I think there is eighteen. For the most part they are fine. We don't boondock yet so no hurry to change. When that time comes I'll refer to your write up for some ideas. Did you put a meter on to see your difference in power used? Btw did you take any picks with the lights on? It would be interesting to see what each one looks like.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:20 AM   #3

Standard 921 bulb 1.04 amps
30 light LED assembly .45 amps
21 light LED assembly .29 amps
10 light LED assembly .17 amps

Pictures of my lights
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc471/tslarson7040/

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:21 AM   #4

Thank-you. It was great you included a 921 to compare them to.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote