Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #1

My 26BH Mods - Video

Was out working on a few new mods today and thought I would take a quick video of everything I have done instead of trying to get a bunch of pictures.

Mods Include --

- Barker Jack
- Wingman
- Turbo Maxx Fan
- Progressive EMS
- Rechargeable flashlight
- Frig Fan
- Thermostat
- Bunk shelves
- Top Bunk Power hole

Hope it is helpful.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #2

Really really good mods! (2 thumbs up!)
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:40 AM   #3

Nice job. Enjoyed the video of your mods.

Mary Anne
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #4

You've been busy, nice mods! I especially like your fridge fan and bunk shelves. Where did you get the fan and how/where did you tap into power? Using the alligator clip is a great idea of 'switching' it off.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
Site Team

Neat mods and video, you have been busy.

-Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #6

I passed the link onto Don for his perusal! Good job; great mods!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #7

The fridge fan came from a guy on Ebay that makes a kit for that purpose.

As I understand it, if you have a unit that is around 2007 or earlier, you can tap off the light. If you have a later model as I do, they rewired and you can no longer do it that way...So what I did is took a very small gauge wire and ran it down the drain tube. It is small enough that it should allow water to pass no problem. My load center is right below the fridge, so I routed the wire to it and used a free circuit. Now the fan has a dedicated fuse as well.

I have not used it on a trip yet, but I hear they work really well. It has to be better than one of those little battery operated fans.

Link -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DOMET...Q5fAccessories

Old 02-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #8

Thanks for the link and explanation of your install. Ours is an '08 so it looks like I might have to figure out a way I can route the wire on our unit. Our little battery fan just doesn't cut it anymore.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #9

The fan runs like .4 amps so you dont need a very think wire. I think I used around 20 gauge wire (I pulled the strand out of some old cat3 telephone wire). The hardest part was running it down the drain tube, it just took multiple tries. It is easier to do it from the inside of the fridge than from the outside. There is also a small plug at the end of the drain tube I had to remove. Probably to keep ants or some small insects from going back up the tube, so do at your own risk.

Remember, you only need one wire since the ground comes from the fins. I routed the wire around the back of the fridge and then poked a small hole in the foam insulation that goes down to the space below the fridge. From there I crimped the wire to a spare circuit on the fuse panel. On most units you should see several spare circuits and the wires are numbered to match the fuse position.

Sounds a little involved, but this is really a very easy mod and I think will make the fridge operate much more efficient.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #10

On my Eagle the fuse panel is located on the other side of the TT across from the fridge making wiring a challenge. I might be able to snake it down the draintube and tap into something in the outside fridge panel, I'll have to check it out.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #11

If it were me then, I would simply tap into the 12 volt circuit that is supplying the fridge already. Just make sure you put a fuse inline at the tap.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #12

Since I just got back from a week out, I thought I would make a few comments on some of my newer mods --

Turbo Maxx -- WOW! I think this is the most useful mod I have made to date. I was able to run all week without A/C. It was in the mid 70s outside and sunny. Last year I would have had to have the AC running during the middle of the day to keep it from being like an oven in the trailer - not anymore! It did at times get up to about 78 in the TT, but with the breeze, it was tolerable. I did have to clean off the vent screen at the end of the trip, it had quite a bit of lint on it -- but I sure did get to enjoy the outdoor air much more....

Progressive EMS - Pretty cool being able to keep an eye on the power. I liked being able to just plug in without worrying about checking the pedestal. Amazing how much power you are using...dont realize it until you see it on the meter...

Frig Fan - Amazing improvement. I will know more when I go out in the middle of the summer, but the fridge stayed very cool from top to bottom. I could tell a huge improvement already.

Wingman - well I setup and could not get any stations...I was disappointed in my Wingman...but then..stupid me...I got home and realized that I had turned off my amp before we left when I was on battery....when amp is turned off, it does not pick up anything....will have to wait til later to try out the wingman...duah....

Other mods worked as expected and I am very happy....

Old 04-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #13

Nice Mods. I just ordered the fridge fan and looking forward to its capabilities. Hopefully we get it before our maiden voyage this weekend.

What was the model number of the thermostat you installed? I love that idea because it will also act as a thermometer in the trailer. All the thermostats I've looked at are 24V systems and the trailer is a 12V system. Does that matter?
Prodigy Brake Controller
pjsl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #14

Did you get the same fan from Ebay? If so, I think you will really like it. Cant wait to try it out in July and see if I have much better results. Last year w/o it was not fun to keep everything cold. I have an old computer fan I am also planning on installing in the outside compartment to improve the air flow.

The thermostat is a 1F81-261 by White Rodgers. Only reason I used it was because I had it lying around extra. I dont really like it because it is too slow to react to changing temperatures. Works fine in a house, but in the TT it causes too much of a temperature swing.

Most digital thermostats will work fine on a 12 volt system. They are basically just relays in there and will power off the batteries rather than requiring 24 volts. A lot of folks use the inexpensive Hunter digital stats that they carry at the Walmart.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #15

Great mods tafische

Many thanks for taking the time to create your video and sharing it with us.

Great stuff...
Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
Since I just got back from a week out, I thought I would make a few comments on some of my newer mods --

Turbo Maxx -- WOW! I think this is the most useful mod I have made to date. I was able to run all week without A/C. It was in the mid 70s outside and sunny. Last year I would have had to have the AC running during the middle of the day to keep it from being like an oven in the trailer - not anymore! It did at times get up to about 78 in the TT, but with the breeze, it was tolerable. I did have to clean off the vent screen at the end of the trip, it had quite a bit of lint on it -- but I sure did get to enjoy the outdoor air much more....

Progressive EMS - Pretty cool being able to keep an eye on the power. I liked being able to just plug in without worrying about checking the pedestal. Amazing how much power you are using...dont realize it until you see it on the meter...

Frig Fan - Amazing improvement. I will know more when I go out in the middle of the summer, but the fridge stayed very cool from top to bottom. I could tell a huge improvement already.

Wingman - well I setup and could not get any stations...I was disappointed in my Wingman...but then..stupid me...I got home and realized that I had turned off my amp before we left when I was on battery....when amp is turned off, it does not pick up anything....will have to wait til later to try out the wingman...duah....

Other mods worked as expected and I am very happy....
tafische is now part of the "mod squad". Nice mods. Unfortunately Crabman has none of them yet! Closest thing would be a Vortex fan installed in the bathroom vent. I really could use a fan in the frig for those brutally hot humid Summer days when the fins ice up.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
Did you get the same fan from Ebay? If so, I think you will really like it. Cant wait to try it out in July and see if I have much better results. Last year w/o it was not fun to keep everything cold. I have an old computer fan I am also planning on installing in the outside compartment to improve the air flow.

The thermostat is a 1F81-261 by White Rodgers. Only reason I used it was because I had it lying around extra. I dont really like it because it is too slow to react to changing temperatures. Works fine in a house, but in the TT it causes too much of a temperature swing.

Most digital thermostats will work fine on a 12 volt system. They are basically just relays in there and will power off the batteries rather than requiring 24 volts. A lot of folks use the inexpensive Hunter digital stats that they carry at the Walmart.

Yeah, I just ordered the fan from your link to ebay. I started my fridge up for the first time last weekend and it took quite a while to get to temp and there was no food in it. Based on everything I've read I believe it will do a good job especially when I have a bunch of food in it.

I also wanted to mention that my trailer is a 2009 and my fridge has the light in it. I was supprised to see it from what I had read on the forums. But it should make for an easier installation than going through the drain tube.

I'll probably head down to walmart or a hardware store after work and pick up a thermostat. Looking forward to that mod. Thanks for the help!

I love doing mods so if you come up with any others, let us know! The only thing I've done so far is add gutter spout extensions to try and reduce the black streaks. I also plan on adding a 2" reciever on the bumper for bike racks and a drain valve for my water heater instead of the plastic plug. Last weekend I bought a Coleman roadtrip grill that uses 1lb propane tanks. I'm going to look at teeing into the propane line near the water heater with a quick connect fitting. That will allow me to tap into the TT propane system instead of the 1lb bottles.

Thanks Again!
Prodigy Brake Controller
Old 04-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #18

You will have to go through the drain tube if you have a 2009 (just like me). The light inside the fridge does not have constant power - only when the door is open. It is really not that hard - I used solid wire from some old cat3 phone wire. I think it is 20 or 22 gauge and went down the tube pretty easily. I had no trouble with the drain still working.

On the propane - look under the trailer opposite and just forward of the main entry door. You should already have a T in the gas line that may make it easier for you to tap off of. I am thinking about going from here and putting a quick connect someday.

Post pics and let us know how your mods go.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #19

Ah, didn't realize there wasn't constant power.

Thanks for the heads up on the propane tee.

I will definitly post some picks when I get the mods done. Thanks!
Prodigy Brake Controller
Old 04-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #20

I don't know how I missed that video before but it was very good. Thanks for posting it for us.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote