Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2016, 07:41 AM   #1

New Entry Steps For My Designer

In late 2015 I was contacted by Torklift International about their GlowStep Revolution replacement RV step assembly. I had been reading about this product on an RV Forum and asked a question or two about the product and then TorkLift contacted me. They were looking for some feedback from actual users since this is a new product. Their offer was to provide a GlowStep Revolution at no charge for a written evaluation after install. I provided the measurements and the GlowStep Revolution showed up. Part of the agreement was that I install promptly and provide the agreed to feedback.
Unfortunately I was unable to hold up my end of the agreement to “install promptly”. I had several issues that came up such as a failed EPDM roof that was leaking and required immediate attention. Because I was not able to “install promptly” I offered to return the GlowStep Revolution to Torklift. They refused and said they would work with me and they have to an amazing degree. This all ended with the install taking place on 4-10-16.
The OEM steps were removed (heavy) and the GlowStep Revolution frame was installed. After all dimensions were checked to verify which mounting holes to use in the provided brackets the frame was tightened up and the step assembly was installed (2 bolts).
The GlowStep Revolution is a fantastic product IMHO. The quality is excellent, no rocking of my rig as I walk up and down the steps since the weight is on the step landing gear feet. Another feature is the glow panels on the sides of each step. At night it is almost like looking at an airport runway at night. You know exactly where to step with no other lighting needed. I did go from the original 3 step to 4 with the GlowStep Revolution which makes the extra bottom portable step unnecessary. The vertical distance from the door threshold is only 6.5”. I don’t know what the original was since I didn’t measure it prior to removal, but it was a lot more than 6.5” inches. Old knees know the difference however. I don’t have a scale, but I can’t be sure of the exact weight difference, but the GlowStep Revolution is a lot lighter the OEM steel step assembly. You definitely feel the difference when lifting each.
I can’t say enough about Torklift and the GlowStep Revolution. The product is superb and their support is second to none which is very refreshing in today’s world and it is Made In The U.S.A.
Please let me know if any of you have any specific questions not answered in this post. I will gladly help any way I can. I do have other pictures not posted here if there is something specific you want to see.
My recommendation is to get a GlowStep Revolution. You will never regret it.
I am in no way employed by or have any type of relationship with Torklift other than being a very satisfied user of their GlowStep Revolution.
Addendum: 4-14-16
I just found out Torklift has a promotion on right now called #RVStepFail where you can enter for a chance to win the GlowStep Revolution. Here’s the link for those of you that are interested in showing your creative ways of entering your rig. Here is the link to the promo details: RV Step Fail - RV Step Fail Blog
Attached Thumbnails
Old Step (Copy).jpg   20160411_084733 (Copy).jpg   20160414_083409 (Copy).jpg   20160414_083427 (Copy).jpg  

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:24 AM   #2

I was asked recently how these new steps heat up in direct sunlight. I had no clue, but suspected less than the old steel ones, but really didn't know. Sooooo:

5-23-2016
Panama City Beach, FL
4:00pm CDT
Outside Temp 85 F measured with Acu-Rite Model 00754W4 mounted in the shade under the door side slide approx. 10’ away from the GSR and 2’ above grade.
Steps are in direct sunlight since 11:00am or 5 hours

Concrete temp directly in front of bottom step 104 F
Bottom step 87 F
Third step 87 F
Second step from top 94 F
Top Step 95 F

I would say the top two steps are warmer due to the reflection off of the white entry door. When stepping on any of the steps bare foot no noticeable heat is noticed, but when the concrete is stepped on it is noticeable hotter.

The temp was taken with:

Klein Tools
Infrared Thermometer
Model# IR1000
Distance from IR1000 to each measured surface was 6”.

My conclusion:

The Glow Step Revolution is much cooler in direct sunlight vs concrete. So much so as to just barely feel warm.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 05-24-2016, 06:03 AM   #3
Site Team

Nice evaluation. We've seen these on TT's at the shows, and they look nice, and are really light. But, OMG, what do we do with all the homemade booster steps we toiled over, planning and building for hours, finding just the right piece of old scrap carpet to glue on it? Then rebuilding "cause we messed up on the measurements and it wobbles, and then there's finding a place to carry the 25 pounds of wood we've crafted........???

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:31 AM   #4

How does the product store? It looks as though you have to lift it and then secure it from the bottom? Is it easy to deploy?
Old 02-25-2017, 10:35 AM   #5

Ed,
Did your installation require the "Vertical Stud Adapter Bracket"? I'm considering this mod but I'm not finding any install docs online. My steps are riveted to its install bracket so removing them I'd be left with just the mounting bolts but can't quite convince myself that the adapter bracket would solve the mounting issue.

I ran across these steps recently and remembered reading your post about them from earlier last year. Your comment about "old knees" is spot on.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:02 AM   #6

Saw and tested the steps at the RV Show this month and thought they were great and extremely sturity. Each bottom leg is adjustable so it's always level and very steady. I felt they were a little pricey ( for me) but I'll Waite till I fall and break my leg at the cost of thousands then I'll buy them. I will be looking into these soon.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Ed,
Did your installation require the "Vertical Stud Adapter Bracket"? I'm considering this mod but I'm not finding any install docs online. My steps are riveted to its install bracket so removing them I'd be left with just the mounting bolts but can't quite convince myself that the adapter bracket would solve the mounting issue.

I ran across these steps recently and remembered reading your post about them from earlier last year. Your comment about "old knees" is spot on.
I'm not sure what the Vertical Stud Adapter Bracket is, but my old steps were riveted to it's install bracket also and this entire part, steps and bracket, was removed as a unit. The new steps bolt direct to the same bolts sticking out from under the door as the original steps.

If you contact the manufacturer they have a measurement sheet they ask you to fill out and send back to them so they make sure you get the parts you need.

Here is a picture of my GlowStep as it looks after a year in service. I still love it.
Attached Thumbnails
20170221_154324.jpg