Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #1

New fifth wheel

Hi, I recently purchased a new Jayco Eagle. This is my first fifth wheel, previously we had a travel trailer. I have a question on the fifth wheel. When trying to level it from from left to right what is the best way to do so. I use blocks under the tires to get it level as possible however when I check the level across the rear bumper it shows level then I check the front of the trailer using the tongue and it shows differently. What is the best practice for getting it completely level. By the way it has electric stabilizers in the front and rear.
Todd7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #2

Hi Todd,

I use boards under the tires to level best I can, side-to-side. The bumper and pin box can be off a bit, simply because they are welded to the framework; and don't necessarily have to be level with the frame(trailer floor). Remember, you want the floor level, not the bumper or hitch.

I have always checked level(with a 2' level) on the trailer floor, just inside the entry door.

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ, CC, 4X4
2005 Jayco Talon ZX24-E Toy Hauler(SOLD).
2017 Forest River Hyper Lite XLR
Prodigy P2 Brake Control
12K Husky Straight Line WD Hitch
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #3

I think its nearly impossible that any fifth wheel will show as level at every possible place level could be checked. In my opinion, there are two reasons to level a trailer:

1) Comfort
2) For the refrigerator to operate properly.

As long as the trailer is level for comfort (maybe check the floor in several places) and the refrigerator is reasonably level (check it on the bottom of the freezer or on some shelves) a trailer is level enough.

What works for me is after getting the trailer reasonably level is to affix small levels (the stick on, RV type) at the front of the trailer, one on the side and one on front, so I have a ready level references.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #4

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
I think its nearly impossible that any fifth wheel will show as level at every possible place level could be checked. In my opinion, there are two reasons to level a trailer:

1) Comfort
2) For the refrigerator to operate properly.

As long as the trailer is level for comfort (maybe check the floor in several places) and the refrigerator is reasonably level (check it on the bottom of the freezer or on some shelves) a trailer is level enough.

What works for me is after getting the trailer reasonably level is to affix small levels (the stick on, RV type) at the front of the trailer, one on the side and one on front, so I have a ready level references.
I appreciate the responses, I will have to try that. My previous TT had the stick on levels but I have yet to put them on the new fifth wheel. What are your thoughts on the stabilizer that goes under the front pin? Are they needed? The dealer told me that the new models do not need them just some people prefer them.
Todd7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #5

I check the level of the RV on the inside.. not bumper ... I check right by the fridge which in my rig is almost in the center of it...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd7176 View Post
...thoughts on the stabilizer that goes under the front pin? Are they needed? The dealer told me that the new models do not need them just some people prefer them.
I've never used them. I think their purpose is to help keep the trailer steady as people move around within the trailer; there's certainly no structural reason for using them.

We've always been able to keep the trailer steady enough with a combination of the rear stabilizer jacks and between wheel "chocks" which lock the wheels together. I put the chocks in quotes as most of those devices - including those from Bal - are not true chocks at all in that they are NOT designed to keep your trailer from rolling down a hill. Thus we use both between wheel chocks and wedge chocks under the tires.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd7176 View Post
What are your thoughts on the stabilizer that goes under the front pin? Are they needed? The dealer told me that the new models do not need them just some people prefer them.
I use it only because I am a light sleeper and any movement wakes me. In my case it works great and you can find them cheap everywhere.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #8

You are correct with the tire blocking as your first step but with a 5'er vs the TT you also have two points of contact in the front where the bumper pulls have a central point. Thus when you put down the gear if you are not hitting the pads around the same time, or the ground is giving more on one side than the other your trailer will flex. I have a pin mounted level that I can see from my TV that helps with the initial setup then I confirm in the center floor with my 2 ft level. Nothing worse then having your bed sloped down.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote