I finally got around to installing an additional vent fan in our trailer. Before this we had the one exhaust fan in the bathroom that we had upgraded to a Fantastic Fan which was a great upgrade.
This fan could create a good breeze in the trailer but it left the bunkbed area alone and it got pretty stuffy up there so I wanted to install another fan over the bunkbed area.
First step was to get the roof blueprints from Jayco which they sent promptly after I sent them my VIN.
After mulling this over and having a chat with DW we decided on a good location to install the fan. I wanted it near the head of the bed so we could reach the controls without crawling into the bed. She wanted it near the foot of the bed so it wasn't as noisy over our daughters head. "We" decided to put it at the foot of the bed. This also gives better air circulation.
Measured it up and marked the roof with masking tape.
Then after a little pep talk I sliced open our roof
I drilled a few holes to get the jigsaw started and created an exploratory hole. Once I located the roof joist I double checked my measurements and cut out a 14" square butted up against the roof joist.
I got lucky and had a few wires to choose from running accross the hole I just cut. i had planned to pull wire from a nearby light but didn't need to. I did need to cut and lengthen both of these sets of wires though.
Once I rerouted the wires I drilled 4 holes in the remaining luan covering the hole. Then I went into the bunkbed and cut the luan with a box cutter. Very easy to cut. With the hole complete I added a bit of framing around the 3 sides of the hole mostly so the screws from the fan would have something to grip into. Not really for structural reasons.
Stapled down the extra flaps of roof material and test fit the new fan. I had connected the power as well so tested the function too.
All was good so back up to the roof to lift the fan out and install some butyl tape and screw it down!
To be continued......