Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #1

New Stand-Alone Heat System for your trailer

The new system does not require a gas furnace to be hooked inline with the electric heater. It has its own fan with cabinet and works with the RV Comfort System’s CheapHeat controller and electric heater. This system is UL certified and RVIA compliant in both the United States and Canada.

The system consists of a multi-position combination-ducted/plenum cabinet that allows the tri-stage heater element to be installed from either side so the system can be used in multiple locations. The press release stated that one of the product’s best features is that a trailer manufacturer is no longer required to place the furnace next to an outside wall for venting, which provides more flexibility in its floorplans.

RV Comfort Systems is based in Bothell, Wash., and is the OEM patent holder for the CheapHeat electric heating system for recreational vehicles. The company will be making its new system available for public purchase on Jan. 1. More information is available by calling 425-408-3140 or visiting www.rvcomfortsystems.com.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodro123 View Post
The new system does not require a gas furnace to be hooked inline with the electric heater. It has its own fan with cabinet and works with the RV Comfort System’s CheapHeat controller and electric heater. This system is UL certified and RVIA compliant in both the United States and Canada.

The system consists of a multi-position combination-ducted/plenum cabinet that allows the tri-stage heater element to be installed from either side so the system can be used in multiple locations. The press release stated that one of the product’s best features is that a trailer manufacturer is no longer required to place the furnace next to an outside wall for venting, which provides more flexibility in its floorplans.

RV Comfort Systems is based in Bothell, Wash., and is the OEM patent holder for the CheapHeat electric heating system for recreational vehicles. The company will be making its new system available for public purchase on Jan. 1. More information is available by calling 425-408-3140 or visiting www.rvcomfortsystems.com.
I've been following several threads other forums on Cheap Heat and I'm seriously considering it for my TT when I get it to reduce propane consumption. Because of the wacky location of the furnace, a stand alone system that uses the floor ducts might be attractive. However, when I just now went to the website, I didn't see anything on it. Or am I blind (I do wear trifocals)?
Old 12-31-2011, 06:32 AM   #3

The web site worked fine for me. Here's a video to whet your appetite:

http://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/sysinfo_video.html

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I've been following several threads other forums on Cheap Heat and I'm seriously considering it for my TT when I get it to reduce propane consumption. Because of the wacky location of the furnace, a stand alone system that uses the floor ducts might be attractive. However, when I just now went to the website, I didn't see anything on it. Or am I blind (I do wear trifocals)?
Jeannie, This was cut and pasted from an email I recived, I bet because of this not being for sale until 1/1/2012 they didn't update the web page but I think if you call the number they would send you info on it. Happy New Year
2015 Silverado 2500
Old 12-31-2011, 07:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
The web site worked fine for me. Here's a video to whet your appetite:

http://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/sysinfo_video.html
The website was working just fine for me, also; it just didn't have anything about the new standalone system. I've already watched the video you linked which also says nothing about the new system.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Jeannie, This was cut and pasted from an email I recived, I bet because of this not being for sale until 1/1/2012 they didn't update the web page but I think if you call the number they would send you info on it. Happy New Year
Good to know I'm not getting blinder. I'll watch the site for a while to see if anything turns up. Hopefully, they will mainbtain their site better than Jayco does.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #7

From the video...NEMA 1 is the highest rated enclosure??

NEMA 1
NEMA 1 enclosures are typically used for protecting controls and terminations from objects
and personnel. This style of enclosure, while offering a latching door, does not have a
gasketed sealing surface. NEMA 1 enclosures are used in applications where sealing out
dust, oil, and water is not required. Motor start/stop stations are often housed in NEMA 1
enclosures.

Solid copper "ingot" used under the heat sink??

Looked like a yellow anodized aluminum one to me.

The product and concept look good to me. I can heat my trailer with 2 small portable space heaters set on low so it can be done. It just irks me when manufacturers use a BS artist to pitch their goods. The guy didn't even have the forethought to have a razor knife at hand to open the boxes!

Maybe I'm just over critical of the presentation.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
The website was working just fine for me, also; it just didn't have anything about the new standalone system. I've already watched the video you linked which also says nothing about the new system.
Sorry about that... misinterpreted your original post.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
From the video...NEMA 1 is the highest rated enclosure??

NEMA 1
NEMA 1 enclosures are typically used for protecting controls and terminations from objects
and personnel. This style of enclosure, while offering a latching door, does not have a
gasketed sealing surface. NEMA 1 enclosures are used in applications where sealing out
dust, oil, and water is not required. Motor start/stop stations are often housed in NEMA 1
enclosures...
The guy was referring to the strength of the box. NEMA 1 utilizes the heaviest guage steel required to make the box.

Quote:
...Solid copper "ingot" used under the heat sink??

Looked like a yellow anodized aluminum one to me...
I'm not sure what you are looking at. The piece the SCRs are in contact with looks like copper to me but could be an aluminum heatsink. Since they are fastened through to the case and the board is spaced away from the case, I suspect there is a piece of copper bar stock between the board and the box. Or there is a cast or machined piece of copper fastened to the box that protrudes through the board to serve as the heat sink. It is really hard to tell in the video.

Quote:
...The product and concept look good to me. I can heat my trailer with 2 small portable space heaters set on low so it can be done...
I know of at least two or three people on two other RV forums who have Cheap Heat installed and they are very pleased with how it works.

Quote:
...It just irks me when manufacturers use a BS artist to pitch their goods. The guy didn't even have the forethought to have a razor knife at hand to open the boxes!

Maybe I'm just over critical of the presentation.
I agree, the video is a podunk production. The guy doing the video (there is a second one on the website with him and Gary Bunzer, the RV Doctor, that is somewhat better) is obviously more of a desk jockey (he is the "top dawg" in the company), not a professional presenter. The video is typical of You Tube videos; low quality video and a limited budget. It costs money to make a professional video and a small company like RV Comfort Systems is not like to have the advertising budget to support making a professional video, let alone paying for the additional bandwidth needed to show it on their website. Personally, I would rather see money being spent to develop a product rather than promote it so I can be tolerant of a poor quality video.

I didn't detect any B.S. in the presentation. From what I've been able to glean from the website and from people who have used the system (including one who was able to get dealer status from Cheap Heat and install his own), everything presented was accurate.

I worked thirty years in warehousing, much of which was in shipping and receiving, and seven in retail and, even though we had knives available, we used whatever was in reach to open boxes: knives, keys, scissors, hands, pens, whatever was fastest. I'm thinking you may be a wee bit too picky on that point (and I'm so picky, noses cringe in terror when they see me).
Old 12-31-2011, 01:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
Sorry about that... misinterpreted your original post.
No worries.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #11

I fired off an email early this morning and just received the following:

Jeannie,
That is correct we will have our stand alone system field tested ready to ship to the aftermarket dealers by the end of Jan 2012. We are already shipping to OEM coach builders as of 1/Dec/2011.
Please be aware that we already have an 100% electric heat add on system for existing gas furnaces that allows you to switch back and forth between Gas or Electric at the flip of a switch. If you have a gas furnace is may be easer that removing it and installing the stand a lone (they both have the same heating ability).
Either one of our systems have the ability to heat your coach to a comfortable 72 inside at a zero degree outdoors temp (Check our gas furnace compatibility chart on the bottom of our FAQ page).

Thanks

Sent from my iPad
Larry McGaugh

President
RV Comfort Systems
Ph 425-408-3140

The CheapHeat™ system has been registered with the US patent office to protect its customers from fakes and imitations. As a patented product, you can be confident that a thorough search has been made at the US Government Archives to ensure that the CheapHeat™ system is not an uncertified spinoff of another product.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #12

Now that thing is AWESOME!! But with msrp at $880, I think I'll continue burning gas for now.
3Pillons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #13

Larry McGaugh from RV Comfort Systems sent me an email the following is that email.

Rod,
I have tried to log on to the Jayco Owners forums but for some reason it won't recognize my user name. The Stand-A-Lone system provides the same amount of heat as the Add-on System.

CH50-DH50 comparable to a 40,000 btu Gas furnace

CH50-DH37 Comparable to a 30,000 btu Gas furnace

CH50-DH18 Comparable to a 20,000 btu Gas furnace

The DH37 and DH50 require a 50 amp service.

When talking about heat output, remember that a gas furnace is only 60% efficient, 40% of the heat goes out the flue. But an Electric heater has no flue so its 100% efficient. So means a 40,000 btu furnace in is only 24,000 btu output. Additionally a gas furnace has a 60 sec pre-purge cycle and a 90 sec post-purge cycle. Which means that for every heating cycle there is 2 1/2 minutes of run time with no flame (heat). After taking the 2 1/2 minutes of no fire each heat cycle your true output into the coach is about 18,000 btu measured at the register.

Our DH50 has a true 17,500 btu output to the register (add-on or Stand-A-Lone). The best way to explain it is if you measure the temp at the floor register the electric is with in 5 degrees + or - depending on the length of the ducting. The DH50 draws 21 amps (about the same as 2 roof AC) per leg on a 50-amp service leaving 29 amps per leg to run the coach (58 amps at 120 VAC to run the coach).

Respects

Larry McGaugh

RV Comfort Systems
2015 Silverado 2500
Old 01-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Rolly Send a message via Yahoo to Rolly
Larry McGaugh became a member of JOF today. I am sure he can answer any questions you guys have

'75 Dodge Class A Motorhome AKA "The Getto" :eek:
Rolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Larry McGaugh from RV Comfort Systems sent me an email...
I got the same thing in a PM. One of the mods might want to email Larry to see why he couldn't log on.

I have a lot of questions but since the new heater won't be available for aftermarket until late this month, I'll just wait until the website updates before bugging the guy. I was impressed with how fast he replied to my first inquiry...on a holiday even! I've got plenty of time to make a decision.