Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #1

Rear Bumper Storage

I really like my new X213 and all it has to offer, but I have one beef, not too much outdoor storage. I am curious to see if anyone has added any new type of storage box to the rear bumper? I am considering weight, balance and overhang as issues when adding onto the bumper. Anyone have any pics or descriptions of what they have done?

Thanks in advance
OffTheGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTheGround View Post
I really like my new X213 and all it has to offer, but I have one beef, not too much outdoor storage. I am curious to see if anyone has added any new type of storage box to the rear bumper? I am considering weight, balance and overhang as issues when adding onto the bumper. Anyone have any pics or descriptions of what they have done?

Thanks in advance
This is just what you need. I found a guy that would build me a custom aluminum diamond tread box to my specifications. The length takes of the right half of my bumper while the spare is in the center of the left side, so it looks somewhat symetrical. The front opening door allows the box to come up right under the taillight without obstruction, and the 16" depth lets it stick out no further than the spare tire. It's plenty big to carry an air compressor, hoses, cords, etc.

It's attached to the bumper using 4" square U-Bolts with plywood pads on the inside to distribute the load so the sheet metal doesn't tear.

The bumper support is 1/4" rectangular tubing welded to the trailer frame and parallel to the bumper with cross supports, also square tubing, welded between the cross support and the bumper making the bumper attached to the frame in four places. There is also a piece of angle iron welded to the rear side of the bumper on each end of the box so that the box is screwed to it in order to prevent it from bouncing when going over rough roads. At every seam where metal meets metal, the seam is completely wire welded, no spot welds. The box was $275 with $60 for FedEx delivery. That's cheaper than Northern Tool sells their boxes for and theirs won't fit my application. I'm really happy with the entire setup.

---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #3

Very Nice, thanks for posting the pics
OffTheGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #4

that is a beautiful job! Very impressed!
mtkeg15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #5

Very nice. But does anyone know if adding something like this has any affect on the warranty?