Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #1

replace ceiling fan with fantastic fan

In our 2013 31.5 RLTS I think the ceiling fan is useless and because it is quite dark in the kitchen I would like to replace it with a fantastic fan. Any thoughts?
Crablad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #2

Your talking about the 110V fan right? It's mounted in a recessed 14 x 14 plastic plug where a skylight can go?

You will need to confirm that there is accessible 12V there. Also a step ladder to turn it on and off if you replace it.

In my unit I had the factory option installed for a thermostatic fan option which works great while in storage as I can set it to temp and it opens and closes automatically venting my unit on really hot days. Also has a rain sensor to close and shut off during such an event. Love it!

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #3

I put vent fans in all of my roof vents over the winter.. works great you will like it after your done...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crablad View Post
In our 2013 31.5 RLTS I think the ceiling fan is useless and because it is quite dark in the kitchen I would like to replace it with a fantastic fan. Any thoughts?
When you say 'ceiling fan' I assume you are talking about a large fan like in a living room about 3' across. If there is not a standard 14" crank up ceiling vent there, you have a problem. If you already have a crank up ceiling vent there, that helps a lot.

Last year I added a Fantastic fan to our 2013 Eagle 28BHS in the hole over the main bed.

Even though there was wiring for 110v for any possible future 2nd AC unit, there was nothing for 12v D.C. I did some checking and found that all (IIRC) of the light fixtures in the front bedroom were already running off the same fuse. So I didn't want to add additional load to a circuit with already a significant load.

The best solution I had was adding another circuit dedicated to the new Fantastic fan. That proved to be the biggest part of the project. I had a spool of heavy gauge speaker wire I used since it had two wires siamesed together and the wires were color coded so I could easilly identify + or -. After a bit of effort I was able to run the wire from the fuse panel up through the wall to the ceiling and through the ceiling and AC duct forward to the front bedroom ceiling vent hole.

Once I had 12v power to the hole, mounting the Fantastic fan was a piece-o-cake. I then added a Fantastic vent cover to protect the Fantastic fan's crank up lid.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:20 AM   #5

Did you happen to replace a existing vent cover with the fantastic fan vent cover?
I installed a fantastic fan in our bedroom vent and was disappointed with the limited air drawn in because of the max air vent cover I still used. The Fantastic fan vent cover is about 70 dollars and didn't want to spend the money and time if the results were only marginally better.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
Did you happen to replace a existing vent cover with the fantastic fan vent cover?
I installed a fantastic fan in our bedroom vent and was disappointed with the limited air drawn in because of the max air vent cover I still used. The Fantastic fan vent cover is about 70 dollars and didn't want to spend the money and time if the results were only marginally better.
I replaced the existing factory roof vent with a Fantastic fan in the existing hole.

I added a vent cover over the top of that.

When I installed it, I tried to make sure I adjusted the front/rear position of the vent cover to allow the Fantastic vent to be cranked open the maximum amount possible.

Trying to quantify the amount of air moved is hard to do. But our perception is the Fantastic fan functions better as an exhaust fan. We open some windows thru which air can be drawn in and exhausted out the Fantastic fan.

My principle reason for adding the vent cover is for protection from falling branches, hail stones etc. A few years back we had a bad hail storm in our area. (We got a new roof on the house courtesy of the insurance company ) At the time, I was working for a RV dealer in the parts dept. We had almost an immediate 'rush' on our replacement vent lids. We sold maybe a couple hundred over the next few weeks. We couldn't get them in quick enough. Some of the vent lid remnants people brought in had 6" holes smashed thru them. The busted lids in effect opened the roof up to rain coming in unchecked thru the roof.

After that, it became a no-brainer to me that adding a vent cover was a smart move and good insurance.
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #7

Has anyone replace the ceiling fan with a skylight. Is this an option? We have fantastic fans in living room and bedroom.