I scratched off another item on my 'to-do' list of mods today.
I never liked the cheap sounding factory speakers on my 2013 Eagle 284BHS.
After a bit of looking around, I found something in a rather flush mounted speaker that didn't look like it would protrude all the way through the wall.
After removing the cheapo factory speakers, I probed to the sides of the speaker locations with a wire coat hanger. The only problem I found was a frame member about 6" to the rear of the aft speaker. Which was about 1" to 2" too far away from being an issue. When I cut the hole for the speaker magnet, I only cut the outer surface of the wall. I sliced the styrofoam insulation around the circumference of the hole and chipped it out flush with the inner wall suface. I measured the depth of the hole I made to accomodate the speaker. And there was about 1/8" of extra clearance between the inside surface of the wall and the speaker magnet.
I used the same putty tape used for sealing windows, roof vents and other fixtures for sealing the newly mounted speakers. I also used some Dicor self-leveling sealant around the edges as an extra sealing measure.
The front speaker is very close to the outlet fixture for the range's exhaust fan. The placement of the new speakers was limited by needing to cover the holes for the old speakers. The front speaker is mounted about as far forward as it can go while still concealing the old holes. The rear speaker I mounted likewise, but as far as the the rear as I could.
As for sound, I have to say the improvement is very noticeable. The bass isn't real intense, but better than the originals.