Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2016, 04:09 PM   #1

Round toilet out - Oval toilet in

I haven't taken any pictures yet. Not too much to really show I guess.

I started by removing the old toilet - easy - remove water line and two bolts that hold it down. I suggest opening any windows, vents and doors to the outside that you can. Then I plugged the hole with a plastic disposable cup.

Removed the sealing ring that was slightly stuck to the floor flange. Goes without saying to wear rubber gloves throughout the entire process.

Tried to mount the new toilet to the floor flange. I was able to get it to mount, but the back side of the toilet was rubbing pretty good on the back corner.

At first, I removed the 4 screws holding the floor flange down - that was not easy as when they install them, they obviously use a drill to nearly countersink them into the plastic floor flange. The factory doesn't think that anyone will ever be removing them. I had to chisel out a small amount of the floor flange around the bolts so I could get a wrench on the screws. I thought the floor flange was just pushed down into the black tank, but couldn't get it to move. After figuring out that it is called a floor flange and watching a couple of youtube videos, I felt stupid when I saw it was screwed into the black tank. I had to rotate the floor flange 1/4 turn to get the other set of mounts to line up where I needed.

Pretty easy after that. Just mounted the toilet to the floor flange.

Then I had my water supply line that was not where I needed it. It was close, but the PTE water lines do not bend or move very well. A trip to Lowe's for a 1/2 inch sharkbite elbow did the trick.

I put the Dometic 320 standard height toilet with spray handle in.

The last step was I mounted the spray handle down on the right of the toilet below the bowl on the wall. I wanted it out of the way so we wouldn't kick it or brush against it unintentionally.

I haven't used the new toilet, but there is no way it will not be better than the oval toilet. I put water to it and verified there was no leaks. I also sat on it and found that it is about 1 inch higher than the factory oval toilet. I knew they would be close, but it did feel higher. My family is short. My wife took a seat and mentioned she may need a step stool. She was just joking - I think.

I start my sabbatical at the end of the month. It will be nice having a somewhat real feeling toilet for our 2 month trip around the country.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
Site Team

I just replaced mine last month with a revolution 310 by Sealand/ Dometic. Wife wanted a low one cause she is short. I like the oval but had concerns that it would not clear a door. It works leaps better than the old Thetford when it was new
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote