Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #1

Secure Storage Mod for 2011 JayFlight 26BH

I thought I'd pass along my idea for including a secure storage location in my new 26BH. Going with what I already had, I found that my gun cabinet would fit perfectly in the storage area under the lower bunk bed.

I added a false wall in the space to add a bit more security in case some skinny thief tried to get in through the cargo door. I added one 2x4 on the floor, directly under the 2x4 that the bunk access door hinge attaches to.Then I added a pair of studs between the upper and lower 2-bys to give more support for the 3/4 inch mdf particle board I used (had it on hand, so that's what I used).

I spoke to the Jayco warranty dept. and was told that the floor on the 2011 Flights is 5/8 inch thick plywood, and there were (probably) no critical components (wire, plumbing, etc) in the area where I planned to screw things down. I made sure that the screws I used would pass into the floor boards no more than 5/8 inch, so I feel confident that I didn't damage anything by my mod.

The warranty rep said he couldn't approve my addition for warranty reasons. So if I damaged anything, repair costs are all mine. But again, I feel confident that I didn't do any damage. He also mentioned that with the added weight in the rear, I needed to be sure to balance the load, with some extra loaded weight in the front of the TT.

Here's how I did it.

PARTS USED

One 64 inch long (I think) section of 2x4 -- (screwed to the floor, under the bunk 2x4 with 2 inch drywall screws, screwed in at an angle to limit penetration into the floor board)

Two approximately 16 inch 2x4 sections to use as studs
-- (one in the center, one at the end near the water heater)

2 inch drywall screws -- (for attaching the 2x4s)

Fifteen or so 3/4 inch #10 round head wood screws -- (for screwing the back of the gun cabinet to the floor)

MDF board for the false wall -- ( I think it measured around 19x64 inches. Had to notch out the front-upper corner to fit around the existing bunk framing)

Tools: Electric drill with a phillips bit, a flat bit, and a couple of drill bits (larger one to drill screw holes through the back of the gun cabinet, and a smaller one for making pilot holes. Hand screw drivers for giving the screws their final tightening. Hand saw for the 2-bys. Used my table saw for the MDF, but a hand saw would cut it too, if that's all you have.

And a broom, dustpan and a little hand vac to clean up all the wood dust and metal chips.

Before I started, I removed the angled panel from under the lower bunk to make it easier to work. I also removed the lower bunk mattress, and detached the lower lift cylinder mount so I could work with the access door completely out of the way.

After it was done, I drilled holes and added a few screws to secure the bunk access door, just to make it a little harder for a thief to get to. Taking out a half dozen screws every time I access the gun cabinet won't be that big of a deal. Worth the trouble, in my opinion, for the added security.

I should have taken pics as I did the project, but these are all I got. Just thought I'd pass this idea on to other 26BH owners. It may work in other bunkhouse TTs, as long as you have a gun cabinet that will fit in the space.

I'll feel a lot better leaving my trailer now, knowing my valuables are a little harder to get to. Now if nobody steals my trailer, I'll be ok!

Have a good one,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6668.jpg   IMG_6669.jpg   IMG_6670.jpg  
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:29 AM   #2

Excellent! This is what I take with us here. I keep it in our hanging closet next to the master bed in our 314BDS. It is an incredible safe for handguns, approved by NRA, lightning quick to access. I have it on a wall mount in our closet at home, have considered getting a wall mount for the TT and affixing it somewhere. As is now......someone could take the safe and all, but they'd never get into it . My #1 priority was having quick access to a loaded gun yet safe with kiddos around. Can't speak highly enough of the Biovault.
Jon Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #3

Love your mod. re: Installing a "safe box" in your TT.

That gives me an idea. I should do the same mod to my 2006 Jayco FBS as well. Good place to hide my wallet, keys, extra money, etc. at my seasonal camp site. Currenty, I hide my stuff under my TT's matress. Great hiding spot for kids but most adults look there first. (silly me). Having a secure box (perhaps with combo lock instead of a key lock) is a great idea. Thanks for sharing your mod....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #4

Great idea for added security! Never consider a false wall. The pics shows it well
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote