Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2016, 03:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shultz01 View Post
I thought horn would be in the front near the bumper--but it was up on the firewall above the engine.
Yes, not the easiest place to access and work on things. I brought the new switched wires all to the horn area and then continued the air horn solenoid wire along the firewall and then down to the area I mounted my new horns and air regulator.

Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:26 AM   #12

So on yours, you talked about adding in a separate tank and what not to prevent pressure loss on the parking brakes. I am not sure on yours, but on mine, I have both a "P" guage/tank and a "S" guage/tank. I am assuming that "P" means primary and runs the brakes. "S" means secondary and it appears to run the rear air bags since that tank empties out when I level the coach. Does your coach have the rear air bags / second tank? I am under the impression that I should be able to tie an air horn into the secondary tank system without the risk of impacting my brakes....thoughts?

RyRoRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
So on yours, you talked about adding in a separate tank and what not to prevent pressure loss on the parking brakes. I am not sure on yours, but on mine, I have both a "P" guage/tank and a "S" guage/tank. I am assuming that "P" means primary and runs the brakes. "S" means secondary and it appears to run the rear air bags since that tank empties out when I level the coach. Does your coach have the rear air bags / second tank? I am under the impression that I should be able to tie an air horn into the secondary tank system without the risk of impacting my brakes....thoughts?
My 2014 has the rear Freightliner "AirLiner" air spring suspension, but since I do not have air brakes I only have one air "system" and no dashboard air gauge(s). My rig has hydraulically-boosted 4-wheel hydraulic disc brakes versus the newer units with air-actuated drum brakes.

On the older units like mine we do have a separate air-actuated driveshaft parking brake. If I lose all air it would come on as a safety measure, hence my addition of the pressure protection valve so I don't exhaust the air supply accidentally.

To your point, I do not know how Freightliner designed the air system, so I can't say whether tapping into the secondary side could compromise the air system. Your service brakes probably are are on the primary side, but your rear spring (parking) brakes might be on the secondary, as well as the rear suspension. I just do not know. If the rear spring brakes are on the secondary side, dropping pressure too low in that side might cause the parking brake to pop on unexpectedly. Bad news if you are rolling!
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:13 PM   #14

If you think your current horn is not loud enough make sure you get one of these. I am sure you will get their undivided attention. Turn up the volume on your computer before watching

Don

2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album http://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is online now   Reply With Quote