Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #1

Shelf, outlet, and rod rack mods

My NOAA weather radio has never had a good place to call home on the counter. The space behind the stove is too small, the space next to the sink is too wet, it gets lost in the tangle of cords behind the TV, etc. I thought a small shelf would be a good place to put it so it's up off the counter and the antenna is protected from abuse. We also desperately needed more 110V power in the trailer. I pulled the microwave out and installed a 2 gang old work box and tapped into the microwave recep for power. There isn't going to be any additional load on the circuit from the weather radio or a couple of cell phone chargers that would cause a problem. The new recep is also a good place to plug in my Kill-a-watt voltage/frequency/current/watt meter thingy and it is right at eye level when standing in front of the door.

Also, I installed a $10 Berkely Rod Rack from Wal-Mart on the side of the fridge cabinet. I used to store 4 ultralight rod/reel combos in the empty space behind the sofa back but my kids would deploy the sofa bed and they broke the handle on one of the reels recently. The upright storage solves the broken tackle problem.

The shelf is made of 5/8" quarter sawn red oak and some tiny oak spindles I had laying around in the shop. There is a cubby area to put phones, TV/BluRay player remotes, etc..

Main shelf 7" x 20"
Bottom shelf 4 1/2" x 16", 18 degree bevel on front edge
Sides 3" x 5 1/2", 18 degree angle cut on the end
Back 3 5/8" x 18"
Railing 5/8" x 5/8" square
13 mini turned oak spindles
Attached Thumbnails
trailer shelf 001.JPG   trailer shelf 002.JPG   trailer shelf 003.JPG   trailer shelf 005.JPG   trailer shelf 004.JPG  

Old 07-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #2

I know what you mean that there is no place for the NOAA radio. Ours sits right on the night stand beside the bed. I am just waiting for it to go off some night so that I can jump out of bed and hit the ceiling. Love the shelf!!!!

2002 Jayco Eagle SE 304bh
crocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #3

The only thing you forgot to do was make one for me. Not only do I like it but I could use it just the way your using it. Can you pass along the size for me?
Your very organized just like me, my grand parents had a farm and that's where I picked that up from. Pop would say" never walk away empty handed put it back before you do anything else". With Pop you only forgot once!!! Never had to shout you ALWAYS heard him the first time
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #4

I like your rod rack. My rod rack is a set of plastic hook over door hangers that I use over the slides. I have them on both main slides and can hang up 4 rods fully rigged.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #5

Got it and many thanks.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #6

Great mods, love the woodwork! I used the same rod holders from Walmart, the horizontal model. I attached mine in the front storage area of the 23B, support wall on the front side towards the hitch. Far more difficult to get out than yours, but no more broken rod tips!
Old 07-08-2014, 05:10 AM   #7

How did you mount the shelf to the wall?

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:19 AM   #8

McFarmall,
that really loks nice!! As Chuck states, I'm interested too, in how you attached it to the wall. nice work!!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #9

I use the plastic Zip-It anchors available at your local home improvement or hardware store. I cut the pointy tip off where the threads start, drill a 1/4" pilot hole about 3/4" deep and zip them in. Then you use a #8 sheet metal screw into the Zip-It. The picture shows a sample of an anchor installed in the core slug produced when I installed my shore power inlet.
Attached Thumbnails
Shelf anchor 001.JPG   Shelf anchor 002.JPG   Shelf anchor 003.JPG  
Old 07-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #10

Thanks for that info mcfarmall. I am interested in your shore power mod - where is that thread. I really hate feeding on that power cord into that hole. One time it got all knotted up in there, and I had to remove the access door to get in there and get it untangled.
Thanks again

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckworkb View Post
Thanks for that info mcfarmall. I am interested in your shore power mod - where is that thread. I really hate feeding on that power cord into that hole. One time it got all knotted up in there, and I had to remove the access door to get in there and get it untangled.
Thanks again
Your welcome! Here is the link to my shore power mod. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ht=shore+power

Here is a link (down below) to a post I just put up today that shows the very slug I cut out of the trailer when I installed my shore power inlet on the rear wall of the 23B. I installed it on the rear wall for 3 reasons.

1. I didn't want to have to make a filler plate to reduce the size of the existing power inlet port.
2. I wanted it to be very close to the converter/circuit breaker panel.
3. I wanted it to be in a more central point on the rear of the TT because some campgrounds have the power poles on either side of the site.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...202#post214202