Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #1

simple solution for scratches on vinyl floor

I put a plank vinyl floor in last Fall. I like it but every time I pull the slide in the vinyl gets scratches. So, I got a 34"X48" piece of white board (1/8" thick), some carpet non-skid pads and double sided tape. I cut the board into 6 pieces about 8"X32" and applied the double sided tape and non-skid pads (picture is worth a thousand words here). I put them under the slide and no more scratches. Wish I had thought of this on my own but no...got it out of some camping magazine. Works great!
Attached Thumbnails
slideout panel front (800x449).jpg   slideout panel back (800x449).jpg   slideout panel edge (800x449).jpg   slideout panels down (449x800).jpg  

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:25 PM   #2

Looks good, Troutslayer. Just curious....how did you get it to stick under the slide? I get the 2 sided tape part but what was your process? Thanks.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #3

Trout, that is clever! I made a "mental" note to ask how the flooring was working (and promptly forgot). I see that you like it, but have you found any problems with it, like shrinking? I looked up your post install post and reviewed it.
Really impressed with how it looked/looks. The Bride and I constantly moan about the carpet and have noted the shift back to hard flooring.
Did you get around to installing 1/4 round?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #4

They do work good. I installed plank in my last class A. Since I had extra flooring I just used some spare planks. I could see the roller on the main base so i just sat the planks in front of the rollers and brought the slide in. Surprisingly , I didn't have a problem with them moving, the roller would just ride up on the pieces. But the way the particular slide works has to be taken in account. Nice job though.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
Looks good, Troutslayer. Just curious....how did you get it to stick under the slide? I get the 2 sided tape part but what was your process? Thanks.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Thanks. It's one of those simple things but hard to explain (for me). The two-sided tape is sandwiched inbetween the bottom side of the board and the rubber gripper material (like what's used under an area rug) so the tape doesn't contact the floor (see second picture from top). So its rubber mat, tape then panel (on top). The rubber gripper material keeps it from sliding and the white part of the panel keeps the bottom of the slideout floor from scratching the laminate floor. Phew! hope that helps

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 04-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Trout, that is clever! I made a "mental" note to ask how the flooring was working (and promptly forgot). I see that you like it, but have you found any problems with it, like shrinking? I looked up your post install post and reviewed it.
Really impressed with how it looked/looks. The Bride and I constantly moan about the carpet and have noted the shift back to hard flooring.
Did you get around to installing 1/4 round?
Yea, I really like it because it's much easier to keep the floor clean. It does shrink in cold weather but the instructions are pretty clear as to the amount of space needed for that. I have put the quarter round down and it was pretty easy except at the kitchen sink cabinet. There was an angle there that was difficult to cut but all-in-all it turned out well. I used a high strength hot melt glue to fasten it to the wall and so far, it has held.

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 04-30-2017, 08:46 PM   #7

Skip, have you replaced the carpet on the slides? How far under the slide were you able to remove the original carpet or vinyl? Did you do the steps and sleeping area as well?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:27 PM   #8

I have not replaced the slide out carpet yet but plan to by using the existing carpet as a template and purchase a little higher grade commercial carpet. I removed the main area carpet that was tucked about 4" under the slide out carpet (the slide out carpet overlaped the main room carpet). I left the bedroom carpet alone cuz it wasn't in bad shape. However, I did replace the step carpet with a wood piece that I stained and finished and put on hinges. I can lift the step "lid" and use the area under the step for more storage. I think this is on my pictures. It's a fun project and the results are well worth the effort. Good luck!

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A