Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2016, 04:24 AM   #1

Skylight and Door Window Covers

I was unhappy with the amount of light in the morning plus heat coming through the skylights and doors windows. My DH's solution was to use the reflective door covers and cut reflective material and use bars on the skylight to hold in place. I hated looking at silver so I covered the inside panels with marine grade vinyl. I used spray adhesive to stick the silver to the vinyl. Then I took the panels to a local seamstress and had her bind the edges. I used Velcro and attached the to the door windows, skylight over the shower and the one in the kitchen area. They works well and are easily remove able plus the silver still reflects the heat. Now the bedroom is dark in the morning if we do not get up with the sunrise. Plus we have chairs in the rear of the camper living area and it eliminates sun glare coming through the back door window if watching TV. I bought the precut window covers for the doors and shower. The kitchen skylight, I cut from old window reflectors we had from our previous motor home.
Attached Thumbnails
camper cover example.jpg   camper cover shower.jpg   camper cover door.jpg   camper cover silver.jpg   camper cover skylight.jpg  

"Let the Reel Cool Times Roll !!!!!
ReelCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:13 PM   #2

Nice work!

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:32 AM   #3

Skylight and Door Window Covers

Nice work. I'll be doing something to both of our doors windows before next season.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:59 AM   #4

Looks good. Very close to what we did, makes a big difference here in the South Texas heat.
2014 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Empty nesters training to be professional grandparents!
US Army Helicopter Pilot - Retired, Home of Record - SOUTH TEXAS
AtkRWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #5

Very nice! You need to start an Etsy store... hehehe

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
Very nice! You need to start an Etsy store... hehehe
LOL. Actually the seamstress who did the binding, once she figured out what I am doing with these said she wants to start making covers. So I am going to help her set up. On a side note, I used old window protectors from our motorhome for the skylight and purchased reflective door window covers. Unless you can repurpose other materials, it will be more cost effective to buy the reflective material by the yard and cut your own patterns. Not that these are heavy, make sure to buy industrial strength velcro by the yard (holds up to 10 pounds). Otherwise they will not stay. The one skylight I used cheaper Velcro on was not sticky enough. So I had to replace it. We just went on a week trip and except for the one cover they work perfect and stayed up on the road.

"Let the Reel Cool Times Roll !!!!!
ReelCool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door window covers, skylight covers