Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2016, 09:05 PM   #1

Slide-out pantry mods

My wife never really liked the tall slide-out pantry in our Seneca, especially when full of supplies she has trouble pulling it open and sliding it out. She asked if there was a way we could "split" the very tall slide-out into two, more manageable sections. She hasn't asked for much regarding our unit and has tolerated my many mods, so when she asked....I did!

I removed the one-piece pantry slide-out by releasing the drawer slides, two on bottom and one on top. After removal of the pantry I removed the outer "door", it is stapled to the pantry drawer, careful prying and it came right off. Already finished on the back side so I just had to fill the old staple holes with a rub stick. Shortened the original outside handle screws and put the handle back on.

Then I cut the pantry apart right below the middle fixed shelf. I cut off 4" from the top of the (new) bottom section and installed a new 3/4" thick "top" to close off the upper portion of this section. Then 1-1/2" x 5-1/2" boards were added to each section to support the new drawer slides. 20" heavy-duty drawer slides were used as you can see in the pictures.

Inside the empty cabinet I duplicated what Jayco used to support the other half of the drawer slides. It took pieces of 1/2" and 3/4" plywood and 2 pieces of 1 x 2 (3/4" x 1-1/2" actual size) to support new catches. The catches are RV Designer Collection H316 Heavy Duty Push Latches, exactly what Jayco used on the top and bottom of the original pantry. I added one more catch to each section.

The outer door was installed with 4 self-closing hinges. Since the pantry sections are held in by the push latches, the self-closing hinges are all I need to keep the door closed. Except for the hinges, it looks exactly like it did before modification.

Despite removing 4", the actual usable space is the same according to the wife. She is very happy, individually the sections are easier for her to pull out and I think the two pieces are much sturdier than the one huge slide-out. It took a couple days of work, but well worth the effort if DW is pleased!
Attached Thumbnails
Split sections slid out.jpg   Cabinet door modified.jpg   Sections slid separately.jpg   New drawer slides and catches.jpg   Cabinet door closed.jpg  

Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:52 PM   #2

Very Nice! Plus, happy wife, happy life.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote