OK, progress so far. One of the challenges is that our "new trailer" is actually still on order from Jayco. Getting Jayco to answer any general question without a VIN is hopeless so I gave up on that for now. We did order a solar kit from AMSolar.
Anyway, here is the short synopsis of the Alpha-Ply issue:
- Jayco confirms on-line that the 2013 JF series has: "One-piece, sidewall-wrapped Alpha Ply material"
- AM Solar, and other sources, state that use of Dicor on Alpha-Ply will cause blistering and bubbling.
- Dicor responds in their FAQ that blistering is due to reaction of petroleum-distillates in the sealant but that the blistering goes away
- Others have said that the blisters do not go away.
- From various contexts, I am inferring that Alpha-Ply may be chemically similar to TPO, though nothing confirmed. No where have we found a manufacturer approved statement like "this sealant works on Alpha-Ply"
- Alpha-Systems has not responded to any of my emails but we did find a statement in one of their documents related to Alpha-Ply heat weld repairs that states "Alpha recommends adding a 3/8” bead of Alpha Systems 1010 Non-Sag Sealant around the perimeter of the patched area."
Hooray, something concrete at last.
Finally, I found that RV Parts Nation sells AS-1015 self-leveling, but not AS-1010 lap sealant
I am looking for the self-leveling formulation anyway, assumed these were chemically compatible but of different viscosity, and ordered some tubes.