Originally Posted by trashman
I was wondering if the remaining wall could be moved to the center of the bed? then both sides could exit the bed without disturbing either party.
And,in addition, a 80 inch standard size queen mattress could be used.
I have had the same thought numerous times, but I just don't think I could do it. There are A LOT of wires coming into that little space: COAX, speaker wire, power wires, AC wires. It's probably the 3rd most wired spot in the trailer (behind the breaker panel and the "control center"). That alone would give me serious pause on a project like that. And I think the "damage" would be much more significant, thus requiring MUCH more repair work.
There are probably guys out there who could do it, but I'm certainly not one of them!
Thanks for all the kudos! I'm really no craftsman at all. I looked VERY closely at all of what was involved before I attempted this, and got some guidance and encouragement from a guy (here on this forum) I would consider a "master craftsman". Really, once you kind of know how these things are put together, you can figure this stuff out. I was also prepared to abandon the project at any time if I came across something I couldn't reconcile. Once I was prepared for that, I just grabbed my screw gun and started backing out screws and figuring things out as I went. The only surprise was that the wall was stapled into the entertainment center; I would have used screws there (but the staples actually made it easier to remove even if they caused a couple unintended scratches).
Bottom line: the trailer is mine, and it's no longer under warranty, so the risk was minimal, and to our mind it was worth it to try. Also, I was VERY careful to remove the wall in such a manner that it could be replaced if we didn't like the results. I used the proper bit to remove all the screws (so they didn't get stripped out) and used a very gentle hand when removing stapled pieces. Once I got into it, I knew I could put it back if I needed to, and better than it was installed originally. Jayco used staples where I would have used screws in many places. In fact, all told, I think we stripped out one screw head on removal, and that was because DW wasn't familiar with how my impact driver worked.
Assuming I keep all the parts (for now they're in a pile in my garage), I could put it back together with my screw gun and a pneumatic finish nailer in short order if I ever wanted to.
2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)
Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!