Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #1

squidmo's 19H mods

figured i would start a page... first up:

motion sensor outside light...

i kind of treat campers like boats... it's important to keep water on the right side of things on both...

one trick i use when installing things with a sealent, or silicone... is to pre-install the item over a few pieces of masking tape... then i draw the outline of the part onto the masking tape... then i take the part back off, and cut the tape just outside the lines drawn...

sometimes i even tape a bit up from the edge on the part as well... after applying sealing, and smoothing it out, all you have to do is pull up the tape!

it makes cleanup a snap, and leaves a nice, tidy appearance. lost my light by the time i had it on and finished.. i'll snap a few more photos...

as for the electrical connections.. i always prefer to solder, then heat-shrink my connections... again, i do the same thing with the boats, using heat-shrink with a sealant built in...

a little gunk to clean off from the old light still.. and messy fingerprints.. how embarrassing!

will polish it back out after everything is dry...

next up: tornado rinser...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1124.jpg   IMG_1127.jpg   IMG_1128.jpg   IMG_1129.jpg   IMG_1132.jpg  

IMG_1133.jpg  

yeah, i have plans for retirement... i plan to turn my on-off switch to 'off'.....
squidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #2

Using the tape is a great idea, looking forward to seeing the finished install. The motion sensor light is perfect, and it seems very bright.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #3

Good idea about using the tape, thanks for the tip. Your light looks nice.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #4

excellent install job!
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #5

ok... on with the upgrades... i bought the 'tornado' rinser kit, thinking it would give me everything needed, but in hindsight, just the rinser nozzle alone would have been better, as i don't care for the hose portion of the kit and will replace it with a hard-line, or better hose setup.... prepare for leak city if you don't get everything sealed up correctly...

realizing i was going to hard mount the hose system for this thing, after building the new hose of course, i mounted it via a couple of hose clamps to the sewer outlet... actually not a bad place to mount it permanently, though i still plan to re-work that portion in a few days...

i'm thinking a braided, stainless water heater or washing machine hose will work better... use teflon tape on your hose fittiings!!!

as stated, i treat RVs like boats... and i thought this the perfect place for some 5200... 5200 is a 3M marine sealant recommended for items that are going to be under the waterline... it really is an 'adhesive/sealant'....

yes, i keep it in the outside kegerator fridge... keeps it in limbo, and won't harden up on ya... remember to let it sun a bit before you use it... when it's cold, you aren't going to get any out!!!!

5200 seems to have worked as usual, as i don't have any leaks around the fitting.... if you ever need to remove something that's been 5200'd... don't try to pry it off... use a piece of 50lb braided fishing line, strung tight on a few handles to 'saw' through the sealant...

on looking at it, i feel i mounted the nozzle too low... i'm even thinking of adding another to the other side, as our jayco tanks don't seem to have many options on mounting these dudes.... yes, overkill, but that's how we roll at squidmo high school.... plus, i think it will divide the pressure a bit....

anyway, the rinser, combined with the clear elbow, allows you to see how really clean you get things... i plan to add one to the gray tank as well...
Attached Thumbnails
5200fridge.jpg   tornadoinstall.jpg   tornadoe01.jpg   bibclamped.jpg  

yeah, i have plans for retirement... i plan to turn my on-off switch to 'off'.....
Old 05-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #6

for you, nylyon....

a few of the light install completed, so you can see how the tape works... also, remember to wipe off the pencil marks on the part, or they will be forever sealed in silicone, for everyone's viewing pleasure...

the light works great, as advertised... i think the LED puts out plenty of light, and any motion near the campsite is picked up, and the light comes on... super convenient.

next up to bat... sewer hose storage (that thing on the side is USELESS. now trying to figure out what else i can stash in there)... front bunk step up with hinged access to bike fork mounts... shelving for pantry under television...
Attached Thumbnails
lighinstall01.JPG   lighinstall02.JPG  

Old 05-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
Site Team

Nice, neat jobs! That 5200 is good stuff and it grabs forever.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #8

Don't forget that 5200 is not quick dry. Yes, there is a quick dry version, but the regular version takes several days to set up.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #9

yes, even the 'fast cure' you need to let set for a day... which i did.

it's about to get a wash and wax job... so tempted to use my 3M marine wax on the camper as well, but i think i'll just go with the mequire's number 6....

thoughts?

Old 05-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #10

That light came out so nice, love to see a well done modification!
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
That light came out so nice, love to see a well done modification!
thanks, guys!

this thing must have been stored outside (no longer), because the front end is little sun faded... no problem, my usual "Texas Paint Restore Kit" and a little elbow grease, back to new... a few showing how much of a difference it makes.

i'm waxing the entire camper, but the front was the part that needed it most... gonna probably go with the 3M marine on this part, as it seems to have a bit more bite, and will probably last longer....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1262.jpg   IMG_1264.jpg   IMG_1257.jpg  

Old 05-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #12

also, got the first camp out of the way... baby squid caught her first muddy Texas waves.... camper stays home for a few weeks, however... it's fishing time.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1249.jpg   IMG_1247.jpg   IMG_1243.jpg   IMG_1209.jpg   IMG_1232.jpg  

IMG_1176.jpg   IMG_1157.jpg  

Old 06-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #13

ok... here we go with a few mods i was talking about...

you know, you guys should see what i've done to my skiff...

the mrs. wanted a way to step up into the bunk... it's a lot higher than our pop up, and the baby needs to climb up as well... i figured a box, with a hinged lid, a couple of saris fork mounts... and good to go... i staggered the mounts to make sure the handlebars didn't conflict.. one up top and back on the left... one down low and front on the right... it worked on the garage floor...

went out to dad's shop (he doesn't have every tool.. he has two of every tool)... rummaged around for some scrap, in this case baltic birch plywood, 1/2"....i consider this a prototype, and plan to build one that matches the finish/color of the rest of the camper... it has a dado'd bottom for strength... if anyone wants a drawing, dimensions, or a cut sheet, i can furnish... but this version is a bit rough. the final will be out of 3/4", stained to match and no awful exposed piano hinge....

the box is mounted to the side of the dinette, with three through-bolts, lock washers, fender washers, and also angled countersunk into the bottom of the bulkhead, with long drywall screws.... no screws in the floor, yet, untill i see if this works out ok... as it is, it's very solid, and i don't think it needs to be mounted to the floor.

i have to say, that dinette is WAYYYY out of square.. i used a full 1/4" shim in there, and that's only 10" of run-out.. that can't be right.. i know the box is square. (see the gap on the front edge?)

i already copied the finish with a few doors i made... yeah, dad also had the right bit setup to shape the jayco doors to a match, raised panels and all... and the stain isn't much of a stretch... or as dad put it, "close enough for a camper" (more on that later)

i'll post a few photos with the bikes installed, and the bungee setup to keep them planted to the floor... sure wish i could figure out how to get that third bike in there... hmmmmm.... i'll have to get my pet spider monkey to sinch the forks down...

yes i managed a fing-mangler (brad point bits are sharp)... and a bit of field first aid...

i also installed a shelf system in the 'pantry' under the television... shelf pins and holes, with a good lip to keep things from falling out... sorry for the sideways photos... i'll fix those later... i'm lazy.

we're heading back home in a few weeks for a long camp (pensacola), so i hope to get a few more mods done...
Attached Thumbnails
bikestep01.jpg   bikestep03.jpg   bikestep04.jpg   shelves01.jpg   shelves02.jpg  

fingmangler.jpg   fieldsurg01.jpg   workin01.jpg   box01.jpg  

Old 06-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #14

Nice mods. I am thinking about doing a box/bike mount myself.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #15

thanks, Doc.

well... the jury is still out, but i plan to test it out tomorrow, and mount a couple of bikes... still working on a few other items as well.

i'm still not sure if i want to do the front storage mod, as i'm not sure i need that much more storage... but it will have to wait, regardless...

stay tuned.. more to come!

Old 06-22-2012, 03:04 AM   #16

Squid, nicely done! Thanks for sharing. My little girl is 22 now. Noticed that they started using the bird decal again, your daughter must think that's neat. I want to build a sliding drawer for the back of my truck. Tired of having to jump in to get stuff from the back. Will be in the trailer tomorrow and off to California till the 3rd of Aug. Than I can do more mods to catch up to you.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
Squid, nicely done! Thanks for sharing. My little girl is 22 now. Noticed that they started using the bird decal again, your daughter must think that's neat. I want to build a sliding drawer for the back of my truck. Tired of having to jump in to get stuff from the back. Will be in the trailer tomorrow and off to California till the 3rd of Aug. Than I can do more mods to catch up to you.
as you might see from a few photos, i built a thing in the back of the truck that divides the top and bottom halves, with the cap on... carpet on top...

sure makes it nice to lock stuff up, out of sight... plus, you can sleep back there in a pinch. though i've gotten 8 hours back there, i don't recommend it....

it keeps things from sliding/banging around as well. also pretty cool to slide out at the beach (it's heavy, but easier to get in and out that you might imagine).. we have a big patio umbrella that goes in a spot in the middle...

i have a sliding drawer built for one side of it, but have never put it in...

Old 07-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #18

PUGs and windows

a few shots of the Pop Up Gizmos installled, as well as a few shots of the cutouts i made for the windows and tent sides... let me tell you, the camper sure is dark with everything installed... we basically just cover up the windows that are getting direct sunlight, and leave the others without.

the PUGs hold tight and at the top, i used a few heavy duty woodworking style bessy pinch clamps. work great.

a couple of the windows needed a little two sided velcro to hold, but most it just tucks inside the window frame.

the ones inside the tent screen simply slide in after you unzip the side... then zip back up... presto!

it's nice to have those dark tents sides! sure makes it easy to sleep in if you want to!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1447.jpg   IMG_1444.jpg   IMG_1439.jpg   IMG_1429.jpg   IMG_1428.jpg  

Old 07-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidmotion View Post
yes, even the 'fast cure' you need to let set for a day... which i did.

it's about to get a wash and wax job... so tempted to use my 3M marine wax on the camper as well, but i think i'll just go with the mequire's number 6....
thoughts?
I went with the Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax. Easy application and removal and great glossy shine.
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #20

thinking of trying some of that on my boat next time... i've used mequire's stuff for years, with nothing but good things to say about them... i do think the 'marine' grade waxes hold up better...