Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #1

Storage

I have 2 Honda 2000i gennys and have tried storing them in the front pass-thru storage on my 22FB. No matter what anyone says - you can really smell the gas and exhaust form them - when the trailer has set still for a couiple of hours.

First thought was to put a box on the back bumper - but was soon talked out of that on this forum - without a lot of extra work to strenghen the back bumper - which kills the warranty.

I got exicted when I saw the diamond plate tool boxs many have added to the front of the trailer. But none were the right size to hold the Hondas - and fit in the space between the front of the trailer and the propane tanks.

So I built my own boxes - they mount of the front tongue of the trailer - they are held up by two 2x2 metal shafts bolted to the tongue.

Also can now carry 2 batteries.

Not worried about tongue weight since the gennys used to ride up front anyway - plus I tow with a 3/4 ton that has 1 ton springs (used to carry a 4000 lb + truck camper).

I don't carry them in the back of the pickup because my two motorcycles take up all the room.
Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #2

Looks good. Does the truck come close to the boxes when doing a sharp turn while backing up. Again looks good.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
Looks good. Does the truck come close to the boxes when doing a sharp turn while backing up. Again looks good.
I checked it out before I built the boxes - the bumper of the truck hits the propane cover before the boxes.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #4

Nice job I might have to copy that Idea.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
I checked it out before I built the boxes - the bumper of the truck hits the propane cover before the boxes.
Thats good I was worried about that. Good job.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #6

Very cool mod. I also travel with 2 Honda 2000 and wish I had a place to carry them in/on the trailer. With my low cargo capacity I can't put 100 pounds of generators in/on my trailer.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #7

Jayco also make a slide out tray that bolts to the frame of the trailer. It will easily haul two generators. Cost when you buy a new trailer is around $450. Cost after the factory $750 plus freight and installation.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:07 AM   #8

Nice install - I am assuming you only store the generators here and when you need them you pull them out to use. As expensive as those things are I got to have them "out of sight" and secured to something.

I think I would put them in the bed of my truck after I was at a camp site and run them from the tail gate while still secured to the truck. My truck has the hard plastic folding bed lockable cover panels so this is my best spot to store the generators. My generators goes with me when I leave the camp site for supplies. Being "out of sight" is still the best defense.

I still have memories of camping at Elkmont Camp in the smoky mtns near Gatlinburg. I came back from a supply run and found a tree laying across the road. My neighbor camper had just got back from town himself and had left his generator chained to a small tree while he was gone. They cut the tree down to steal his Honda generator in broad daylight..
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Jayco also make a slide out tray that bolts to the frame of the trailer. It will easily haul two generators. Cost when you buy a new trailer is around $450. Cost after the factory $750 plus freight and installation.
Is there a web page where I can see the factory options?
Old 11-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Yes and no. Jayco.com will list the options available for each Jayco line but descriptions, including pictures, are generally lacking. Often, dealers will give better descriptions and also often have excellent photo galleries of individual RVs they sell.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #11

Quote:
You will have to either go to a dealer and they have access to the pics or you might call Jayco customer service. You will need the VIN number. It takes at least 3 weeks to get them from the factory. We paid for ours and will pick it up in the spring.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
You will have to either go to a dealer and they have access to the pics or you might call Jayco customer service. You will need the VIN number. It takes at least 3 weeks to get them from the factory. We paid for ours and will pick it up in the spring.

Talked to the dealer today and they knew nothing about factory accessories - Jayco needs a decent web site with the available options.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #13

I found this list of features and options for the JayFlights on the Jayco.com site:

Customer Value Package
13,500 BTU A/C
30 lb LP Gas Bottles (2) w/ABS Cover
ABS Shower Surround
Bath Skylight
Bathroom Fan
Microwave
Outside Shower
Oven
Water Heater Bypass

Standard Exterior Equipment
30"x72" entrance doors with entrance step light
5/8" Tongue and Groove plywood flooring
Adjustable Awning
Aerodynamic, rounded front profile
EZ-Lube Axles EZ-Lube Axles

Electric powered sliderooms
Exterior Speakers
I-Class cambered structural I-beam frame
Integrated A-frame
Outside Shower
Plywood, fully decked and walkable crowned roofs
Stabilizer Jacks (4) Stab Jacks (4)

WaterWorks System including minimum of 75 gallons fresh water capacity

Standard Interior Equipment
Ball bearing drawer guides, 50lb capacity with full drawer extension 50lb Capacity Ball Bearing Drawer Guides

Decorative backsplash in kitchen area
Diamond floor vinyl flooring Wall-to-wall Vinyl Flooring

Gas/Electric DSI Water Heater
Glazed Concord Cherry stained hardwood cabinet doors, with raised panel in kitchen area
Glued and pocket screwed cabinetry Pocket Screwed Cabinetry

High Output Oven with Piezo Ignite
MaxView windows; large tinted safety glass windows
Night Shades
Oversized 60/40 style kitchen sink with high-rise faucet
Pleated shades throughout Pleated Shades Throughout

Porcelain stool
Residential furniture, cushions, and window treatments designed and made by Jayco
Stereo with CD, four (4) speakers

Options
Bike rack/cargo tray system
Canadian standards
Customer Value Package
Customer Value Package with 15,000-BTU A/C
Electric Stabalizer Jacks (4)
Electric Tongue Jack

Elite Package
Front diamond plate
Linoleum, living area
Maxistor door (28BHS)
Outside grill
Power awning
Roof ladder
Satellite kit
Spare tire and tire carrier
Technology Package (N/A on 33RLDS with Ledgestone Firplace Option)
Thermal Package
Old 11-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I found this list of features and options for the JayFlights on the Jayco.com site:

Customer Value Package
13,500 BTU A/C
30 lb LP Gas Bottles (2) w/ABS Cover
ABS Shower Surround
Bath Skylight
Bathroom Fan
Microwave
Outside Shower
Oven
Water Heater Bypass

Standard Exterior Equipment
30"x72" entrance doors with entrance step light
5/8" Tongue and Groove plywood flooring
Adjustable Awning
Aerodynamic, rounded front profile
EZ-Lube Axles EZ-Lube Axles

Electric powered sliderooms
Exterior Speakers
I-Class cambered structural I-beam frame
Integrated A-frame
Outside Shower
Plywood, fully decked and walkable crowned roofs
Stabilizer Jacks (4) Stab Jacks (4)

WaterWorks System including minimum of 75 gallons fresh water capacity

Standard Interior Equipment
Ball bearing drawer guides, 50lb capacity with full drawer extension 50lb Capacity Ball Bearing Drawer Guides

Decorative backsplash in kitchen area
Diamond floor vinyl flooring Wall-to-wall Vinyl Flooring

Gas/Electric DSI Water Heater
Glazed Concord Cherry stained hardwood cabinet doors, with raised panel in kitchen area
Glued and pocket screwed cabinetry Pocket Screwed Cabinetry

High Output Oven with Piezo Ignite
MaxView windows; large tinted safety glass windows
Night Shades
Oversized 60/40 style kitchen sink with high-rise faucet
Pleated shades throughout Pleated Shades Throughout

Porcelain stool
Residential furniture, cushions, and window treatments designed and made by Jayco
Stereo with CD, four (4) speakers

Options
Bike rack/cargo tray system
Canadian standards
Customer Value Package
Customer Value Package with 15,000-BTU A/C
Electric Stabalizer Jacks (4)
Electric Tongue Jack

Elite Package
Front diamond plate
Linoleum, living area
Maxistor door (28BHS)
Outside grill
Power awning
Roof ladder
Satellite kit
Spare tire and tire carrier
Technology Package (N/A on 33RLDS with Ledgestone Firplace Option)
Thermal Package
Thanks!

But no pictures and no costs.

I have seen a flipout kitchen counter top extension in a picture on this forum - but can't find it anywhere on the Jayco site.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #15

Go to RVDirect.com to get prices. The Jayco website had seven pictures but I didn't transfer them over since I couldn't put more than four in a post. Use Google Image search to try to find more pictures (be careful here; Google Image search uses a really fuzzy search and a lot of unrelated photos will show up). Also, some dealers put up slide shows of their stock that will do a better job of showing what is available than Jayco does on their site. A regular Google search will find those but you have to go through a lot of junk hits to find them. Just use "Jayco" (no quotes) and your trailer number for search words.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip.......Not worried about tongue weight since the gennys used to ride up front anyway - plus I tow with a 3/4 ton that has 1 ton springs (used to carry a 4000 lb + truck camper).....snip
Flashman,

Nice creative storage mod, and taking advantage of the limited space on the TT A-frame.

One thing you may want to confirm is how much your loaded TT tongue weight has increased. Had a friend add a large metal storage box to his TT A-frame a few years ago, his TV and TV receiver could handle the added weight, but the loaded tongue weight exceeded his existing 1,000lb spring bar rating. He upgraded to 1,200lb spring bars and he was good to go.

Just food for thought.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Flashman,

Nice creative storage mod, and taking advantage of the limited space on the TT A-frame.

One thing you may want to confirm is how much your loaded TT tongue weight has increased. Had a friend add a large metal storage box to his TT A-frame a few years ago, his TV and TV receiver could handle the added weight, but the loaded tongue weight exceeded his existing 1,000lb spring bar rating. He upgraded to 1,200lb spring bars and he was good to go.

Just food for thought.

Bob
Spring bar? I don't have any sway control - dealer didn't even try to sell me one - said truck-trailer did not need it - the truck is 1ton Dodge diesel and thinks nothing of pulling that little trailer.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Spring bar? I don't have any sway control - dealer didn't even try to sell me one - said truck-trailer did not need it - the truck is 1ton Dodge diesel and thinks nothing of pulling that little trailer.
Flashman,

No question that your TV won't even know the loaded 22Fb is behind it, but the loaded tongue weight is a separate issue.

The WDH (weight distribution hitch) spring bars having nothing to do with sway control, they are part of the WDH assembly (sounds like you don't have a WDH). Your correct that some trucks may not need a WDH (depending on the TV and TT loaded weight), but in some cases as weight is added to the TT tongue the loaded weight may exceed the weight limits of the TV's reciever...., and/or WDH spring bars.

Your TV's receiver has two different weight limits assigned to it: the first is "weight carrying", the second is "weight distribution". Assuming you don't have a WDH, then you are using your TV's receiver in the "weight carrying mode", which means the total tongue weight is resting on the hitch ball without and assistance from a WDH....., which may be ok.

I'm just suggesting that checking the sticker on your TV's receiver for your "weight carrying" mode limit, then confirm that your new loaded tongue weight doesn't exceed it.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 11-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Flashman,

No question that your TV won't even know the loaded 22Fb is behind it, but the loaded tongue weight is a separate issue.

The WDH (weight distribution hitch) spring bars having nothing to do with sway control, they are part of the WDH assembly (sounds like you don't have a WDH). Your correct that some trucks may not need a WDH (depending on the TV and TT loaded weight), but in some cases as weight is added to the TT tongue the loaded weight may exceed the weight limits of the TV's reciever...., and/or WDH spring bars.

Your TV's receiver has two different weight limits assigned to it: the first is "weight carrying", the second is "weight distribution". Assuming you don't have a WDH, then you are using your TV's receiver in the "weight carrying mode", which means the total tongue weight is resting on the hitch ball without and assistance from a WDH....., which may be ok.

I'm just suggesting that checking the sticker on your TV's receiver for your "weight carrying" mode limit, then confirm that your new loaded tongue weight doesn't exceed it.

Bob
Thanks for the lecture!

Have you heard of the TOW BEAST?? by Reese - a 2.5 inch receiver hitch. The non WDH weight carrying mode - weight rating is 1,200 lbs - enough I think.

Specs below

Designed for Full-Size Trucks, Vans and Utility Vehicles with Full Frames and Heavy-Duty Suspensions
Ideal for Marine and Commercial Use
Strong, Secure Heavy-Duty Side Bracket Design
2½" Square Receiver Tube Opening
All Frame Attachment
Welded Electrical Bracket Included
E-Coat Base w/ Black Powder Coat Finish - Withstands 1000 Hour Salt Spray Testing per ASTM B117 Standards
Rated up to 18,000 lbs. (GTW) Weight Carrying (WC)
Rated up to 18,000 lbs. (GTW) with Weight Distributing (WD)
Solid All-Welded Construction for Maximum Strength and Safety
Custom Built According to Manufacturer & Model Year
Ensures Perfect Fit and Top Towing Performance
Computer-Aided Design and Fatigue Stress Testing
Designed to Withstand Road Abuse Within Specified Capacities
Backed by a Nationwide Limited Lifetime Warranty

WC Tongue Weight: 1,200 lbs.
WC Carrying Weight: 12,000 lbs.
WD Tongue Weight: 1,700 lbs.
WD Carrying Weight: 14,000 lbs.

After all the 2 gennys weigh a whole ~ 80 lbs combined - and the boxes and frame add another 70 lbs - and remeber the gennys used to ride in the pass thru storage - right up front so I have added a whole 70 lbs.

I KNOW what I am doing. I am not suggesting that this mod will work for everyone - just wanted to show what I did.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Then I apologize that I came across that way, wasn't my intention. What thru me off was the comment that the dealer made the initial hitch recommendations, weight has been added since then, and it wasn't clear if the tongue weight had been taken into consideration....., but your latest post clarified that.

On some occasions I will tend to go into a little more detail than required when discussing weight considerations, but I make a strong effort not to be critical in presentation. In doing so I hope that some of the folks reading some threads that don't have the level of knowledge as some of us are made aware that some conditions (mods, cargo placement, etc.) can impact towing safety.

Again, apologize for the mis-understanding.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS