Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2017, 05:16 PM   #1

Strengthening the dinette seat back

The back of the dinette seat that's near the entrance door of my 23RB always seemed to be some what flimsy. Felt like it would not take much pressure applied by folks sitting on that side to break it.

So, I did two things. 1) I added several 90 degree angle pieces where the back and the seat meet. I then covered them with brown duct tape to make sure the screws and metal plate didn't damage the seat cushion.

Next, I cut two 1" x 2" boards to fit from the floor to the top of the dinette back. After sanding and staining, I screwed them to the back of the dinette seat. It seems to have made the dinette back much more firm.

I would post pictures, but I can't post any without them being upside down.

Erroll

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:39 PM   #2

I had the same issue, but mine seemed to stem from the traveling. The bench sits right over the wheel well, and the screws would work themselves out from the rattling. I would always find them under the cushion once we got setup. All i did was replace the wood screws with panhead bolts and lock washers.

Would love to see your pics if you get them to load right side up

islandman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #3

Sounds great. Too bad we can't see the finished product.

I can tell by the way the seat back on the dinette looks in my 26BH that it isn't going to hold up without some serious modification.

I'm actually considering removing the entire panel, cutting it off flush with the bench and not having a backrest. My TT will primarily be used for hunting and we never use the dinette. In fact, I've always just taken the table outside and put it under the awning anyway.

Having a bench just inside the door would be great for plopping down to take our boots off.
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:25 AM   #4

I'm going to try to add some pictures of the modification now. The metal corner supports I covered with brown duct tape to keep the sharp edges from nicking the cushions.

I'm not happy with the way the back supports came out. I was trying to stain them to match the color of the dinette wood. One I got close, the other is definitely on the red side. If it bothers me enough, I may take it off, re-sand, and re-stain.

The 1st picture show the only back support for the dinette seat that faces the entrance door. The 2nd pic shows the corner supports I used. These probably do not add a great deal, but I figured any added support is better than no support. The 3rd pic shows where I covered the corner supports with brown duct take. I did this in order to cover the metal to keep it from nicking the fake leather seat cushion. The 4th and last picture shows the 1 x 2 boards I used to provide support to the back of the dinette seat.

After passage of time, I'll know if it has worked or not. If the dinette back doesn't collaspe over the course of time, I figure it will worth the modification.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0329.jpg   IMG_0341.jpg   IMG_0347.jpg   IMG_0345.jpg  

Old 08-18-2017, 05:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Sounds great. Too bad we can't see the finished product.

I can tell by the way the seat back on the dinette looks in my 26BH that it isn't going to hold up without some serious modification.

I'm actually considering removing the entire panel, cutting it off flush with the bench and not having a backrest. My TT will primarily be used for hunting and we never use the dinette. In fact, I've always just taken the table outside and put it under the awning anyway.

Having a bench just inside the door would be great for plopping down to take our boots off.
I did this on a previous fifth wheel. It worked really well for me and kinda 'opened up' the interior a bit. Also made getting larger things in and out of the trailer easier.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:02 AM   #6

Same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
The back of the dinette seat that's near the entrance door of my 23RB always seemed to be some what flimsy. Felt like it would not take much pressure applied by folks sitting on that side to break it.
Erroll
As my wife was leaning back in the dinette, the back released from the wall bracket and seat base. I re-enforced and fixed it on that camping trip with what I had in the tool box.

She was not impressed with Jayco "quality" and this is our 3rd Jayco of 4 RV's. I was told, "the next one WILL NOT be a Jayco!"

All this could have been avoided with a little glue and better hardware. Somebody tell Jayco that staples have no gripping power.

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:46 AM   #7

On my dinette, there was little area where reinforcement could be added.
A brace was added where the dinette seat back meets the wall. However, there is nothing to anchor the other end of the dinette seat back to. There are only two solutions to this. Either add re-enforcing boards to the back (which is what I did after market), or use a 3/4" or at least a 5/8" back to the dinette. Also, screw and glue is much better than staples.

But we all know if all the wood is screwed and glued, production slows down. Production slows down and the workers will get paid less. The workers will want more money. More salary and few units produced equals higher prices for the trailers. If Jayco trailers cost more, then buyers (most of whom want inexpensive trailers) will go else where to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercityjeff View Post
As my wife was leaning back in the dinette, the back released from the wall bracket and seat base. I re-enforced and fixed it on that camping trip with what I had in the tool box.

She was not impressed with Jayco "quality" and this is our 3rd Jayco of 4 RV's. I was told, "the next one WILL NOT be a Jayco!"

All this could have been avoided with a little glue and better hardware. Somebody tell Jayco that staples have no gripping power.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:11 AM   #8

Atlee,

You are correct. Cost is a driving factor with RV sales and RV manufacturers are rapidly producing products to meet price points. Quality is a term thrown around by RV salesman to fool the public.

But for us, another key factor is reliability or durability.

We actually camp 45-60 days a year and plan to keep our TT for ten years. If on year 1, the back of the dinette separates (plus all the other fixable problems), I question the reliability of the unit and (Jayco) brand. First year failures make me wonder if the unit will last much beyond warranty? We've also owned 2 Jayco popups and a Funfinder with fewer issues?

We store our Jayco under cover and we fix as things break. At some point, you have to wonder why buy a brand that needs continual repair, why not buy a depreciated 2-3 year old unit instead, or why even bother with Jayco, at all?

Other lines have their issues too. We are looking hard at Winnebago and Lance. Both have different weaknesses. But over ten years, I have to wonder would those premium priced units be less problematic?

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #9

Understand about the quality. I also looked at the Winnebago TT's when I was looking for a new trailer. There were things I really liked about them.
Unfortunately, I am very constrained by money. So, I went with what I hope will be, long term, a decent trailer.

I have found several fit and finish items on my 23RB. But of course, it's a bit unfair comparing it to other trailers I've owned. Why, you ask? Well, for what ever reason, the used ones I've owned never seemed like mine. I never made any mods. Maybe I always though of them as short term solutions. Whereas with this brand new Jayco, it's mine. I hope it lasts until I'm done with RV'ing.

So, I have been peeling back the onion layers in order to make modifications that make it the way I what it.

We shall see what the future brings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercityjeff View Post
Atlee,

You are correct. Cost is a driving factor with RV sales and RV manufacturers are rapidly producing products to meet price points. Quality is a term thrown around by RV salesman to fool the public.

But for us, another key factor is reliability or durability.

We actually camp 45-60 days a year and plan to keep our TT for ten years. If on year 1, the back of the dinette separates (plus all the other fixable problems), I question the reliability of the unit and (Jayco) brand. First year failures make me wonder if the unit will last much beyond warranty? We've also owned 2 Jayco popups and a Funfinder with fewer issues?

We store our Jayco under cover and we fix as things break. At some point, you have to wonder why buy a brand that needs continual repair, why not buy a depreciated 2-3 year old unit instead, or why even bother with Jayco, at all?

Other lines have their issues too. We are looking hard at Winnebago and Lance. Both have different weaknesses. But over ten years, I have to wonder would those premium priced units be less problematic?

Old 08-22-2017, 05:12 AM   #10

This is out third RV. All of them had this same issue. All three were different brands manufactured decades apart.

Unless you go up significantly in size, weight and/or cost you will have the same issues with other brands.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:11 PM   #11

Back rest issues for dinette

Problem.....backrest on dinette in trailer wobbles due to "Jayco superior engineer".

Solution...after much research did not find a solution that I felt was adequate....came up with this, piece of steel angle iron, sloped on top so you don't lose a finger walking by. Carrage bolts on the back of the cushion so you don't feel anything....not 100% solid but short of rebuilding the bench and spending $4,000 in the process, problem solved!!
Attached Thumbnails
20211023_141847.jpg   20211023_141840.jpg   20211023_141852.jpg  
steinborn is offline   Reply With Quote