Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #1

Stupid LED lights question

I hope I ask this correctly. I am thinking of buying a strip of LED lights. It is 16 feet long. They sell them with and without a transformer. The transformer plugs into an regular 110 outlet. Some come with remotes as well. They also sell just the light strip with no transformer. I believe LED lights are made to run on 12 volts. Correct me if I am wrong. The lights in our RV's also run off of 12 volts. Do those same RV lights run off of 12 volts when connected to shore power? Basically, what I am wondering is if I can simply tap into one of the RV lights to supply power to the LED light strip and if so, will being connected to shore power cause any problems? This would eliminate the need for a transformer, and also free up an outlet for other things.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #2

Check the output rating on the transformer. If it is 12Volts DC then it will work.
Dwilcox353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilcox353 View Post
Check the output rating on the transformer. If it is 12Volts DC then it will work.
are you saying that if the transformer is a 12Volts DC, then I would not require it? I could simply tap into a wire running to a light?
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #4

What you want to do sounds okay but first I would find out from the manufacturer what voltage is needed to power the light strip. ... and as posted above, it should be stated on the transformer.

The next issue would be to determine if you want them to operate from an existing switch, or add a switch somewhere for the light strip only (easy to do). It could be an inline switch that doesn't have to be wall mounted.

If you include the light strip into a circuit that already controls lights (or something else), then those lights or whatever is in the circuit will be powered on when you turn the switch on. For example, If you tie into the circuit that controls your outside light(s), the light strip will receive power whenever you turn your outside light on.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #5

What he said .
Our trailers have 2 electrical systems in them a 110V that will be energized when plugged into shore power. The 12V runs off the battery when dry camping (no shore power) or off the converter when plugged into shore power that converts 110V AC to 12V DC and charges the battery.
And you can get an Inverter if you want 110V available from the Battery when dry camping but that is a whole different deal.
Dwilcox353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #6

LEDs are low draw on amps/current and would think they should be OK. Like the above said, verify the output rating of the transformer just to make sure. If anything you may trip the breaker/fuse if its too much for the circuit to handle.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote