Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2017, 08:45 PM   #1

Taking out the couch in x213

Hi we are about to be the proud owner of the a 2017 x213.

We are not big couch in the trailer fans and was thinking if removing the couch and putting in a low narrow bench with cupboards below.

A) has any one done that
B) whst effects would this have on weight and valence?
C) How hard is it to do?
D) what does the floor look like below the couch?

Thank you for any and all help
Amrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:52 PM   #2

I put totes under the couch....yes there is some storage under there. I would be concerned about resale down the road if you took out the couch though. You also would lose a bed when it is folded down. It would not be hard to take it out but you will be left with holes where the anchoring bolts go. The floor is finished to the wall.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:05 AM   #3

I started a thread... not much response, but my plan is to remove the couch and dinette and build a custom U-shaped bench, much like the X254 has. See pic for how much space this would create.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ods-42174.html

The rear of the X213 is the "living area" but it's pretty tight, especially for a family of 5.

BTW... the front valance of the jacknife sofa is easily removable... you can slide totes in and out easily. It is not structural.
https://goo.gl/photos/sQzc7u2x4QYHzxir7
Sergeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:39 AM   #4

X213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeum View Post
I started a thread... not much response, but my plan is to remove the couch and dinette and build a custom U-shaped bench, much like the X254 has. See pic for how much space this would create.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ods-42174.html

The rear of the X213 is the "living area" but it's pretty tight, especially for a family of 5.

BTW... the front valance of the jacknife sofa is easily removable... you can slide totes in and out easily. It is not structural.

I read that! And love the idea! I also agree

We are not going to have the time or budget to do that but thought to solve the cramped feeling by reemoval.of the couch and to make a low bench no wider than the pantry beside the couch. Giving me easier accessed storage, lightening up the trailer and opening up the space.

When I was thinking of the couch removal I too was thinking that a u dinette would have been a much better use of spacw. Coming from a tent trailer it surprises me that this has not been done.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:44 AM   #5

Thank you. I am aware of the storage. Just really hate the couch. It makes the space feel so cramped and for a family of 4 has little value to us. Having more open space is a better option.

Hopefully putting in a narrow bench with cupboards would be enough to cover up the wholes?

Would it have any effect on the Balance and towability of the trailer?? Or because it's behind the axles it would have little effect?
Old 02-24-2017, 07:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrya View Post
Thank you. I am aware of the storage. Just really hate the couch. It makes the space feel so cramped and for a family of 4 has little value to us. Having more open space is a better option.

Hopefully putting in a narrow bench with cupboards would be enough to cover up the wholes?

Would it have any effect on the Balance and towability of the trailer?? Or because it's behind the axles it would have little effect?
I think the difference in weight from what you take out vs what you put in will be negligible. Travelling with an empty FW tank vs half full would have more effect. Also, how you pack your gear... The X213's fwd "garage" can be tricky if you add too much weight at the front. This coach is already tongue-heavy.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:04 AM   #7

Thank you. That helps.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:41 AM   #8

I don't believe they use bolts to keep that sofa in place, could be wrong but I think there just screws. Anyway the holes would be small, few and far between and I bet after you fill them you'll hardly see them if at all.
If I were you I wouldn't worry about resale value, just put it back if you deside to sell. You bought it it's yours your living in it in the way that makes your family comfortable so enjoy it and I think it's a great idea.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #9

I am not 100% familiar with the X213, however, a few observations I can foresee. Have you looked under the couch yet?

The linoleum flooring is installed first and goes wall to wall. The mounting holes are from a simple screw(s), so the holes will be small. A light tap with a hammer, and a small touch of a good clear caulk, to fill the hole, and you will be good to go.

It appears a small part of the wheel well might be under the couch, it is fairly narrow, which should not be an issue.

I suspect your furnace and water pump is under the refrigerator. This would make me concerned about the 6” diameter heat duct that probably is under the couch along with the plumbing to the kitchen sink. There will also be electrical under the couch too.

With all that said, with some careful planning I am sure you can do exactly what you are thinking. If I am correct with the wheel well and furnace duct, you may need to elevate the narrow bench to have the duct over the top of the wheel well, and the plumbing and electrical can easily be pulled back and strapped down.

One more thing; you do not mention how many are using the TT, but with front bunks, I would guess 3-4, plus maybe a dog or two. Have you used the TT much yet? Have you been out in poor weather with everyone hanging out inside? For us it is a requirement to have two separate seating areas, in our 23B, my DW sits at the dinette reading, the kid in the bunk playing (or whatever they do), and I will sit at the couch with the table making fishing lures.

Before modifying that area I would make sure to have a few trips under your belt in various conditions to ensure you want it out. One last thing, depending on how, and how much storage you want you could affect your payload as these hybrids do not have a lot of cargo capacity.

I have highly modified my 23B to fit our needs, so don’t be afraid to do it, just spend a little time thinking through it first. And remember light weight construction techniques are required.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:10 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrya View Post

More weight in that area can only help. The x-213 are extremely nose heavy. I weighed mine last year and it was over 1000 LBS. In a perfect world, 600 LBS tongue weight would be perfect for this trailer.

Something else to consider is the plywood box behind the couch for the power cord. Not a big issue because this could be removed and the trailer could be converted to a removable power cord which is exactly what I'm doing at the moment on mine.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
More weight in that area can only help. The x-213 are extremely nose heavy. I weighed mine last year and it was over 1000 LBS. In a perfect world, 600 LBS tongue weight would be perfect for this trailer.

Something else to consider is the plywood box behind the couch for the power cord. Not a big issue because this could be removed and the trailer could be converted to a removable power cord which is exactly what I'm doing at the moment on mine.

What year is your X213 Danno?
Old 02-24-2017, 02:25 PM   #12

LOL! Like this...?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8806.jpg  
Old 02-24-2017, 03:01 PM   #13

Thank you! Great advice! Knowing what's under there makes the planning a bit easier!

We have not yet punched it. We are between it and the sonic 220vbh.

We are 4 and possibly a dog. We have spent a lot of time camping in a pop up. Honestly the space in the x213 is massive. We really are mostly an out door kind of family even in the rain!! Add the out door shelter. Bunks for each small child and the massive king. We are good for seating. It's more floor space we worry about with the dogs crate. She is a border collie so it's not a small crate.

Looking forward to the summer!
Old 02-25-2017, 10:49 AM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeum View Post
What year is your X213 Danno?
Mine is a 2012 which I bought last year, and yes, my power cable will now be like your picture. I sold a 2007 26ft R-vision to purchase this x-213, and I must say the R-vision towed so much better. I've tried different settings but still cant get a good "feel" especially in windy conditions. I thought for sure the nose was too light because that's how it felt, and was shocked that I had over 1000lbs tongue weight with nothing in the front storage area. I like the layout of the x-213 but I wont drive long distances with it.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:43 PM   #15

Mine is a 2012, I tow it with my 04 Ram quad cab 4x4. I use a WDH with it and it tows great even in windy conditions and passing big rigs. I have Firestone air bags installed on the rear suspension of my truck and my trailer is nice and level when loaded. Gas mileage not so great....