Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #1

Television Antenna - KING Jack™ Replacement Head

How many people on this great forum have replaced their standard television antenna with the KING Jack antenna?

If you have,
1) What is your review?
2) Are you pleased or disappointed?
3) Are you getting more stations than you had with the standard antenna?
4) Do you feel the price was worth $50.00?

I am getting my "Honey Do" list together and this is one that I have been putting off for sometime now and the DW is once again asking about it.

I would appreciate any information that can be submitted!!

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:34 PM   #2

I have one. Very happy with it. Less than 10 minutes to install (not including draggin out a ladder...). In one place we frequent we went from 3 stations to 14 or 15. If you get one, I highly recommend getting a signal finder also.

If I was looking at one today I'd probably by the Wingman Sensar add-on. Less money and many people report good results with it.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:52 PM   #3

I was debating this at one point, but decided against it to save some money for other upgrades. I have also read mixed reviews; some swear by it and others say it is basically the same as a batwing with the wingman. The most important way to get good signals is knowing where to point your antenna. There are good websites/apps that can help for the general direction of local TV antennas, but as mentioned above, a signal finder would be the best method.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:22 PM   #4

I posted recently about doing the same thing. Bought the replacement head "open box" from Amazon. Quick swap out but went from about 14 channels to about 5, in my driveway. I returned it. Now, would I try again with a non open box unit? Sure. Great reviews, so must be some tech behind it. Be sure to post your results.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:51 PM   #5

I just put the add-on on the Batwing. Is it a improvement? I have no idea; I never seem to be around any antennas according to this website: http://www.antennapoint.com/

Is there a better website?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:58 PM   #6

Been using this one with excellent results:

https://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/
fowl8717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:03 PM   #7

It's what came on our new rig. Works much better than my previous antenna. If it was only 50$ I'd probably buy it.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #8

I had dismal results with the OEM antenna, so bought a King Jack. Now I get 4 channels.....sometimes.

I get them all about 10% of the time. When I can't get them all I can't even get one. I must note that I'm far from the stations and the mountains lurking over my valley are real big.

The signal finder interests me. Can someone provide a link? I'll gladly buy one.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:17 PM   #9

Here is one

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:32 PM   #10

tvfool.com, a compass and you're in business richer of 70 bucks

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #11

About 2 yrs ago, I replaced the standard antenna with a King Jack. Worked so well on the fiver that I bought one for the house. I have also found out how many channels you get can depend on the brand of TV you have. We have a Vizio in the living room and a Sony in the bedroom. The Sony will tune in more stations than the Vizio, but the Vizio has a built in signal meter that the Sony does not. Better tuner? Also, with the digital signals, you are more at the mercy of weather, terrain, trees, etc.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:23 AM   #12

What I use to find TV transmitters is a file that someone put together for use with Garmin units. The info was pulled from FCC database. This works when you can't go online to find station locations.
I probably got it from poifactory.com

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #13

Thank you everyone for your valuable information.
I think I may take DocBrown's https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RV-W...wingman+sensaradvice IF / WHEN the time comes to replace the antenna.

I have been satisfied with the factory antenna, but we have been camping with the Grandkids more this year and two of the trips, we encounter a rainy day and decided to play games inside the camper. When it came to bed time for the Grandkids, they wanted to watch TV for a little while.

As we all know, weather can make or break the reception on TV's. That is why the DW was trying to get the Upgraded antenna and hope for more channels or at least better reception on a few channels.

Once again "THANK YOU" to all of you kind folks! You are truly the best on the internet!!!!

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Old 07-26-2016, 01:09 PM   #14

Playing games with Grandma & Grandpa.....with no TV. What a better way to teach them what's important.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
Playing games with Grandma & Grandpa.....with no TV. What a better way to teach them what's important.
Thank you for the nice comment. That is why I have been putting off the new antenna. My wife and I have two daughters and the oldest has two kids (1 boy - 8yrs old and 1 girl - 4yrs old).

Both of the grandkids have been camping with us since they were 6 months old. They love camping and they know that the Television is not the answer when they have nothing to do. We always find things to do when camping. Watching Television when camping is only done before bed or severe weather (if we get reception). We do not bring any movies for them to watch and they are limited to 1 hour of electronics per day such as tablet or cell phone games.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Old 07-26-2016, 02:02 PM   #16

I replaced my standard bat wing with the King last year (?) and I am happy with the upgrade. Money well spent IMO. I get more channels for sure. I only wish I had purchased the one with the mast that is a permanent mount. The one I got just replaces the bat wing atop the standard mast. SUPER easy to install. But they offer one that comes with a new mast that is completely sealed and includes a built-in signal meter. If I had known about that one, I would have spent the extra money and purchased it.

We generally use it to ensure we have a somewhat local news station so we can keep up with the weather. We only have OTA TV at home, so we're quite accustomed to the channel selection. I generally use "Antennaweb.org" to find bearings for broadcast towers. But you need some kind of signal (either cell or wifi) to access the page, and sometimes that can be an issue.

One unexpected advantage is that it is more aerodynamic. Shortly after installation, I left the antenna mast up, and there was no damage whatsoever. I just cranked it back down when I saw it was up (after 20 minutes on the interstate) and all was well in the world again. If the old head was still up there, I'm sure it would have been damaged.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
I must note that I'm far from the stations and the mountains lurking over my valley are real big.

The signal finder interests me. Can someone provide a link? I'll gladly buy one.
No amount of technology is going to beat what the mountains are doing to your signal.

Anyway, this is the signal finder I use. Sure, you can use a website. While you are looking up where all the stations are, I'm already done scanning for them. It was well worth the $28.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
No amount of technology is going to beat what the mountains are doing to your signal.

Anyway, this is the signal finder I use. Sure, you can use a website. While you are looking up where all the stations are, I'm already done scanning for them. It was well worth the $28.
Where do you put that in your trailer? Directly on the back of the TV? Near the antenna coax plate? That looks like something I might like to have, and the price looks right...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Where do you put that in your trailer? Directly on the back of the TV? Near the antenna coax plate? That looks like something I might like to have, and the price looks right...
It's really small, maybe 3" x 3" and uses a single AA battery. It can sit in line between your TV's coax connection and your antenna connection. You'd need 2 short coax cables. I only have the one coax cable, so I connect it to the antenna once, find the strongest signal, then put it away and connect the coax to the TV.