Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #1

Theft prevention (Batteries and propane tanks)....

Although I haven't had too many issues in my neighborhood (knock on wood), I thought this would deter them a little....I bought these online from B & D RV Battery Lock For RV travel trailers and popup campers. And BatteryShackle (Propane lock) https://batteryshackle.com/product/propane-shackle/

Hoping that this may slow them down at least....
Attached Thumbnails
Battery locks.jpg   Propane lock.jpg  

Current: 2012 GMC 2500HD Denali
Sold: 2009 GMC Sierra 1500
Danjo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo61 View Post
Although I haven't had too many issues in my neighborhood (knock on wood), I thought this would deter them a little....I bought these online from B & D RV Battery Lock For RV travel trailers and popup campers. And BatteryShackle (Propane lock) https://batteryshackle.com/product/propane-shackle/

Hoping that this may slow them down at least....
Those locks will only keep the honest folks honest...maybe. My little battery operated Dremel could cut through the shanks of those locks in 30 seconds or less each. Imagine how fast bolt cutters or an 18v battery operated grinder could take out those locks.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Those locks will only keep the honest folks honest...maybe. My little battery operated Dremel could cut through the shanks of those locks in 30 seconds or less each. Imagine how fast bolt cutters or an 18v battery operated grinder could take out those locks.
This is a deterrent, I agree. Like I posted, hope it slows them down or maybe look for more easier pickin'. Does anyone have a 100% secure way to avoid theft, short of just removing the batteries and storing them in your house?

Old 11-19-2016, 08:20 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo61 View Post
....Does anyone have a 100% secure way to avoid theft, short of just removing the batteries and storing them in your house?
It may not be 100%, but it is sure close. I have a system that will notify me if someone is tampering with my battery boxes or entered my TT. I have a SimpliSafe Alarm system at my house and I have a door/window sensor in each of the battery boxes. They also have a chain an lock system. I have a motion sensor in the TT in a place that can monitor the inside of the TT for any movement.

The best part of the SimpliSafe alarm system is that you can designate the sensors as an ALERT (sends you an SMS text message) or an ALARM (yes the alarm company will call you). I have them set for alert while we are at home and if we are going to be gone for any long length of time, I get online and change the sensors to ALARM. In alarm mode they will also set off a 105dB alarm horn.

So for $25 a month, I can change any of my sensors (home and TT), to Alert or Alarm, I have the perimeter privacy gates and screen doors set to ALERT, with the doors/windows/motion sensors set to ALARM.

If any of them go off, I log into my security cameras to see what is going on.

This setup fits our needs but may not fit yours.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
ALARM - Trailer Motion Alert.jpg   ALARM - Basic System No Sensors.jpg   ALARM - Entry Sensor.jpg   ALARM - Motion Sensor.jpg   ALARM - 105dB Siren.jpg  

Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:54 PM   #5

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
It may not be 100%, but it is sure close. I have a system that will notify me if someone is tampering with my battery boxes or entered my TT. I have a SimpliSafe Alarm system at my house and I have a door/window sensor in each of the battery boxes. They also have a chain an lock system. I have a motion sensor in the TT in a place that can monitor the inside of the TT for any movement.

The best part of the SimpliSafe alarm system is that you can designate the sensors as an ALERT (sends you an SMS text message) or an ALARM (yes the alarm company will call you). I have them set for alert while we are at home and if we are going to be gone for any long length of time, I get online and change the sensors to ALARM. In alarm mode they will also set off a 105dB alarm horn.

So for $25 a month, I can change any of my sensors (home and TT), to Alert or Alarm, I have the perimeter privacy gates and screen doors set to ALERT, with the doors/windows/motion sensors set to ALARM.

If any of them go off, I log into my security cameras to see what is going on.

This setup fits our needs but may not fit yours.

Don
Very impressive indeed - thanks for sharing!

Dan

Old 11-20-2016, 12:01 AM   #6

If I was parked on my property, I'd probably setup a new wireless zone and tie it to my security system for my house, one of the benefits of building and owning your own system.. until then, I just pull the battery out and store it at home, over winter.. mostly for non theft reasons though...not that concerned about theft.. I have dogs and a shotgun when actually using it and insurance is cheap.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:06 AM   #7

Whenever I hear of anybody getting their batteries stolen around me, the thieves always carry bolt cutters to cut the cables and not have to hassle with wrenches. To do any good you need some sort of lock box as exposed padlocks are just a wast of money
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:03 AM   #8

I use this !

This is what we use,we have no theft concerns in or area !

I do like the Ideas that have been presented ! just would need to carry more keys
Attached Thumbnails
20160911_171054.jpg  
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by herewego View Post

I do like the Ideas that have been presented ! just would need to carry more keys
I agree and use a similar alarm system...
Attached Thumbnails
Destiny teeth.jpg   DestinyBall.jpg   Destiny Lift.jpg  

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:32 PM   #10

Beautiful dogs guys. I've always gone with northern breeds, but love German shepherds. we have a 5 year old Husky and a 6 month old Alaskan malamute. They look mean, from a deterrent perspective, but they are sweethearts. Our puppy is getting some 'protection dog' training next month. As it stands now, if either of my dogs had the freedom to sit out on my driveway, one or both of them would run straight to Alabama before stopping. Total escape artists.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I agree and use a similar alarm system...
That first picture reminds me of the German Shepherd I once had. You could throw a ball—anything, for that matter—from any distance in her general direction and she would snatch it from out of the air, every time! She was the easiest dog to give pills to; just toss them near her head and she would snap them up out of the air and swallow them before she knew what they were.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:36 PM   #12

Quote:
just toss them near her head and she would snap them up out of the air and swallow them before she knew what they were.
I've been known to do that myself, but I won't digress...
Old 11-20-2016, 06:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by herewego View Post
Really? He's not very effective. Looks like someone has already made off with the doors, seats, windows, fenders, hood...

Maybe a little more training?
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #14
Site Team

Ahhh a good steak with a few sleeping pills ground up into the meat and come back in 20 minutes... that was the workaround up north when we lived in Chicago. Usually worked too. No, not me doing it.....

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Beautiful dogs guys. I've always gone with northern breeds, but love German shepherds. we have a 5 year old Husky and a 6 month old Alaskan malamute. They look mean, from a deterrent perspective, but they are sweethearts. Our puppy is getting some 'protection dog' training next month. As it stands now, if either of my dogs had the freedom to sit out on my driveway, one or both of them would run straight to Alabama before stopping. Total escape artists.
Thanks! She was a rescue from the south. I've always had Shepherds but she is my absolute favorite!

Quote:
That first picture reminds me of the German Shepherd I once had. You could throw a ball—anything, for that matter—from any distance in her general direction and she would snatch it from out of the air, every time! She was the easiest dog to give pills to; just toss them near her head and she would snap them up out of the air and swallow them before she knew what they were.
Same with her! ANYTHING you throw to her she will grab. Doesn't matter high or low...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Ahhh a good steak with a few sleeping pills ground up into the meat and come back in 20 minutes... that was the workaround up north when we lived in Chicago. Usually worked too. No, not me doing it.....

Don
Likely wouldn't work with her Don, I train all my shepherds to not accept food from strangers. This girl is amazing, my family and friends are amazed at BBQ's or parties when they try and feed her "People Food" without me giving her the OK she won't take it from them.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:09 PM   #16

Regarding your locks and such, anything you put on there to act as a deterrent will tend to make lazy thieves go somewhere else. You ever heard of a hard working thief?

My thinking is that you don't have to run faster than the bear when it comes to physical security. You just have to run faster than your friend. In other words, you just have to make your stuff more secure than your friend's stuff. Every little bit helps.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:22 PM   #17

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by justman View Post
Regarding your locks and such, anything you put on there to act as a deterrent will tend to make lazy thieves go somewhere else. You ever heard of a hard working thief?

My thinking is that you don't have to run faster than the bear when it comes to physical security. You just have to run faster than your friend. In other words, you just have to make your stuff more secure than your friend's stuff. Every little bit helps.
I agree - That was why I locked it up as a deterrent so they may pass it for an easier mark.