Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2017, 10:02 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflake View Post
Ive had a different concern with the water heater and the plastic drain plug. Why on earth would the have it drain this way and then put the wiring diagram on the door where the water is sure to destroy it. I've wondered about a good way to save the diagram.
Take a picture of it and print it out?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #62

I installed a brass ball valve on mine and it has been there for 5 years with NO problem. I did remove it last year and there is no corrosion problem at all.
There are and have been brass fittings on water tanks for years with no problems.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
oldgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:47 AM   #63
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflake View Post
Ive had a different concern with the water heater and the plastic drain plug. Why on earth would the have it drain this way and then put the wiring diagram on the door where the water is sure to destroy it. I've wondered about a good way to save the diagram.
If it's a Surburban, the door comes off.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #64

Relief valves are designed for relief only.
Used at all besides pressure relief and they can start dripping/leaking.

BullDozerBob
Spokane
BullDozerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:14 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDozerBob View Post
Relief valves are designed for relief only.
Used at all besides pressure relief and they can start dripping/leaking.

BullDozerBob
Spokane
In case you thought I installed a relief valve.. I did not...it is a ball valve ...simple 1/2 turn from flow to no flow. Simple open and close.
Works great

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
oldgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:56 AM   #66

Tundra,

Looks great!!! This is a mod I still need to do myself. Did you not find the nylon/plastic nipple at Lowe's along with the rest of the items? I thought they had the needed nipple as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
Got it all installed today.

On another note, anybody know what the red, cone shaped, plastic sleeve is for? -

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #67

If I open the hot water spigot without the water pump on or on city water and then open the low drain point I usually dump over half of the hot water from the H/W tank...

Of course once a year I like to pull my plug where the anode rod is for inspection. I have the Suburban model hot water heater... This drains down the water heater pretty much with just a small amount of water left in it.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:13 PM   #68

Oldgrizz
Just to clarify.
My reference to the relief valve was aimed at johnsoax opening the relief to aid in draining the tank faster.
Opening the hot water valve at either sink will also drain the tank once the your ball valve is opened.
Nice setup.

BullDozerBob
BullDozerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
Got it all installed today.

On another note, anybody know what the red, cone shaped, plastic sleeve is for? -

Nicely done! I managed to find a nylon version of the male-to-male adapter that I currently have in brass. I'm going to order from Amazon tomorrow. Should eliminate all concerns.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #70

Okay ... brass gone and nylon in its place. The male-to-male adapter got a little chewed up when I was installing it, but it looks like it will work just fine.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:28 PM   #71

I did this mod today. The hardest part was finding parts at the big box store that would fit together. I think it'll work out. I put teflon tape around the brass fitting that threads into the water heater, and all the rest were compression fittings.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0010.jpg  
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:03 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
I did this mod today. The hardest part was finding parts at the big box store that would fit together. I think it'll work out. I put teflon tape around the brass fitting that threads into the water heater, and all the rest were compression fittings.
Almost the exact setup I have. Only difference my valve is a straight through verses your 90 degree. Works great. Mine has been installed for almost 5 years now.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #73

Anode with drain valve -
Attached Thumbnails
Anode.jpg  
Old 04-30-2017, 06:36 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrnigan View Post
Anode with drain valve -
That little hole won't allow you to flush out the scale, but at least it will drain. Nice that you can get the petcock with an anode for the Suburban tank and without for the Atwood.
Homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:54 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homersimpson View Post
That little hole won't allow you to flush out the scale, but at least it will drain. Nice that you can get the petcock with an anode for the Suburban tank and without for the Atwood.

Oh you can get one for the Atwood too. Anode Rod with Drain for Atwood Water Heaters - 4 1/2" - Camco - Water Heaters - Camping World Like you said though, you wont be flushing much out that small hole.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:09 PM   #76

I was reading through this thread over the weekend and it suddenly hit me. The pressure relief valve is brass isn't it. I took a look and I don't see anything isolating it from the tank except some Teflon tape.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:24 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I was reading through this thread over the weekend and it suddenly hit me. The pressure relief valve is brass isn't it. I took a look and I don't see anything isolating it from the tank except some Teflon tape.
My thoughts on the dissimilar metal issue isn't so much that the brass will corrode just over time will it become impossible to remove. In the case of the pressure relief, it isn't very common to replace them so odds are they are there for the life of the heater. In the case of a drain plug, well you are removing it every winter or when you want to flush the tank. With the valve you eliminated the winterization step but still may need to remove it to descale the tank.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:18 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
My thoughts on the dissimilar metal issue isn't so much that the brass will corrode just over time will it become impossible to remove. In the case of the pressure relief, it isn't very common to replace them so odds are they are there for the life of the heater. In the case of a drain plug, well you are removing it every winter or when you want to flush the tank. With the valve you eliminated the winterization step but still may need to remove it to descale the tank.

I agree that the pressure relief valve is most likely there for the life of the heater. I had to replace my pressure relief valve on the 10 year old Atwood heater in my last TT. It figures that I'd experience one of those uncommon occurrences lol. That being said, what's to say you can't just make removing the drain setup and cleaning the threads up as part of your winterization? It's once a year and still allows your to easily drain your tank the rest of season. I honestly can't believe that a manufacturer hasn't come up with a better drain set up.
(ordered 5/9/16, arrived 10/17/16, brought home 4/14/17)
2005 Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH (sold)
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:26 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoGriff View Post
I agree that the pressure relief valve is most likely there for the life of the heater. I had to replace my pressure relief valve on the 10 year old Atwood heater in my last TT. It figures that I'd experience one of those uncommon occurrences lol. That being said, what's to say you can't just make removing the drain setup and cleaning the threads up as part of your winterization? It's once a year and still allows your to easily drain your tank the rest of season. I honestly can't believe that a manufacturer hasn't come up with a better drain set up.
Yeah but then I guess what is the point of this modification?

Maybe others do but I don't bother with draining my water heater in between camping trips. I guess I could save some weight but my heater is also in the back of the a camper so it is saving me some hitch weight. So for me I am draining it in the fall when I winterize. I don't flush the water heater every year so I could see a modification like this to make the winterizing a bit easier but if I was pulling it to service it I might as well stick with the plastic one. That is my plan by the way. Unless there is some compelling reason to drain the hot tank after every trip I am going to stick with the plastic one.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
Yeah but then I guess what is the point of this modification?

Maybe others do but I don't bother with draining my water heater in between camping trips. I guess I could save some weight but my heater is also in the back of the a camper so it is saving me some hitch weight. So for me I am draining it in the fall when I winterize. I don't flush the water heater every year so I could see a modification like this to make the winterizing a bit easier but if I was pulling it to service it I might as well stick with the plastic one. That is my plan by the way. Unless there is some compelling reason to drain the hot tank after every trip I am going to stick with the plastic one.

Yeah, if you don't drain after every trip (which I do) there is less of a reason.

I wouldn't do the mod to make it easier to drain, I would do it so the water doesn't splash all over everything when draining. That's my real issue with the location of the plug.
(ordered 5/9/16, arrived 10/17/16, brought home 4/14/17)
2005 Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH (sold)
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote