Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #1

What does Jayco's AC upgrade or install kit consist of?

I called Jayco yesterday to confirm that the roof in my '96 1406 is AC ready, which it is. The rep mentioned to me that the electrical needs to be upgraded (which I already know) and that Jayco has a kit specifically for this purpose. I asked her what is in the kit and she stated she wasn't sure, that this is the kit that is recommended when a new ac is installed. I realize a 20amp dedicated circuit needs to be added. Does anyone know what is in this kit? Should I just go with this kit instead of trying to buy the parts separately, or am I better off getting all the parts in this one kit? The Jayco part number for this is 0087897. I ran it by a couple of Jayco dealers, and they don't know what is in this kit, it is just listed as an AC electrical kit that retails for over $300. Either I'm missing something in what I think I'll need to get this install completed, or this is way overpriced compared to scoring the required parts at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Thanks!!!
CaliPopup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #2

You'll need a Marinco 20A inlet P/N 200BBIW.RV. You can get them for around $25. They accept any standard 20A extension cord. You also need some kind of circuit breaker protection where the power comes into the trail. You don't want to depend solely on the breaker at the pedestal. You can get that at Home Depot along with some 14-2 romex. If you want a single breaker panel that looks nice Blue Sea makes one that won't break the bank. HD will also sell some kind of trim material to hide the wiring going up the wall and to the unit. I would think you can get all of this stuff for around $100. $300 seems a little steep to me.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
You'll need a Marinco 20A inlet P/N 200BBIW.RV. You can get them for around $25. They accept any standard 20A extension cord. You also need some kind of circuit breaker protection where the power comes into the trail. You don't want to depend solely on the breaker at the pedestal. You can get that at Home Depot along with some 14-2 romex. If you want a single breaker panel that looks nice Blue Sea makes one that won't break the bank. HD will also sell some kind of trim material to hide the wiring going up the wall and to the unit. I would think you can get all of this stuff for around $100. $300 seems a little steep to me.
Don't use 14 gauge wire on a 20 amp circuit!! 14 gauge is only good for 15 amps. 12 gauge is good for 20 amps and 10 gauge for 30 amps.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
Don't use 14 gauge wire on a 20 amp circuit!! 14 gauge is only good for 15 amps. 12 gauge is good for 20 amps and 10 gauge for 30 amps.
Thanks for catching that. My mistake..
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:21 PM   #5

I know this is an old thread, but I have recently been researching adding AC to my '92 Jayco Cardinal. On page 31 of the Owner's Manual there is a list of the items included in the optional AC kit.

1) 30 amp power cord
2) 110 volt circuit breaker box
3) Two breakers, one 15 amp to operate coach, and one 20 amp (HACR) breaker to operate air conditioner
4) 20 amp receptacle
5) 20 amp power cord to be wired directly into air conditioner
6) Proper sized wire for all hookups
7) cabinet door
8) Additional misc small items
5thGenTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:50 PM   #6
Site Team

Now days they just make it a 50a service and separate the 2 ac's, one on each side in new rigs.

You could add the extra ac and wire a separate 20a breaker that could feed it when you have a separate 20a feed at the power pedestal. Many do that now, only they feed the 2nd ac to power the water heater.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Now days they just make it a 50a service and separate the 2 ac's, one on each side in new rigs.

You could add the extra ac and wire a separate 20a breaker that could feed it when you have a separate 20a feed at the power pedestal. Many do that now, only they feed the 2nd ac to power the water heater.

This is to install AC to popup that do not already have it. The power cord to plug the trailer in is only a 15 amp cord. I am not even sure the water heater in these popups have power to them.

The converter is only 20 amps and I have a message into to Jayco to find out if I will need to replace the converter for AC,,, considering that it even still works after sitting for 17 years
Old 03-31-2015, 07:45 PM   #8
Site Team

What does Jayco's AC upgrade or install kit consist of?

Sorry to mis lead you. I am not familiar with your pop up. Sounds like the kit converts the ac system to 30a. I wonder if that kit is still available. You could price the components as stated at a local supplier.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:04 PM   #9

I believe it is... Hopefully I will know tomorrow.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #10

Just a suggestion....

My Coleman puts out a rough 1920 watts. WOW!

Power consumption: 1920 watts
Hours of use per day: 8 hours per days
1 kilowatt-hour (kWh) cost $0.15 per KWH

Electricity cost per day: $2.304
Electricity cost per month: $69.12
Electricity cost per year: $840.96
=================================

So I went to Home Depot. Bought a 5,000 BTU window air conditioner For $99.00
It Kicks Ass!. It will freeze your hiney off lol. This is what I spend for my window AC unit for 8 Hours......

Power consumption: 500 watts
Hours of use per day: 8 hours per days
1 kilowatt-hour (kWh) cost $0.15 per KWH

Electricity cost per day: $0.60
Electricity cost per month: $18
Electricity cost per year: $219

Big Differnce Eh?
-------------------------------------------

Here is the Electric Bill Calculator. Just put in the watts of any electrical device, hours of use and the cost per KWH. That's it!.... Way to simple.

Electricity bill calculator | Energy cost calculator
hozerdude is offline   Reply With Quote