Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2016, 10:20 AM   #1

White Hawk 28DSBH - Past & Future Mods

We really enjoy our 2017 28DSBH, but living with it for a while has made us aware of several shortcomings that we needed/still need to address to improve convenience and enjoyment. If you're considering a 28DSBH, here are some mods you might think about making (of course, everyone's preferences are different). You can see pics and details of most completed mods in our signature block photo album:

Bathroom:
-upgrade exhaust fan (we went with a Vortex II)
-upgrade shower head (we went with Oxygenics but then switched back after being unimpressed)
-upgrade towel hooks and rods (your preference, we shopped at Lowes)
-upgrade sink faucet (we used a Glacier Bay gooseneck with integrated LED light from Home Depot)
-add a sink back-splash (we used Smart Tile from Home Depot)

Main cabin and bedroom/bunkhouse:
-add photography gels to all LED lights to convert them to warm white color
-add Bluetooth dimmer switches to master bedroom and bunk reading lights, which are BLINDING without them.
-add a Coleman-Mach digital thermostat
-add a 2" memory foam topper and heavily quilted pillow-top mattress cover to the queen bed
-install child safety-locks on drawers and cabinets (not everyone needs this, obviously)

Exterior:
-add Marinco 701 battery cut-off switch
-add BAL Lock-arm stabilizers
-add a Camco bathroom vent cover
-add an exterior refrigerator in the front storage bay
-add TPMS sensors to the tires (we went with Carchet, inexpensive and works)
-add a Furrion Rear Observation/Backup Camera (best-mod-EVER)
-purchased a Stromberg-Carlson CL36 Extend-a-Line clothes drying rack that mounts on the rear ladder

Here's our list of "future" planned mods:

-install a Shurflo water-pump silencing kit and add some rubber underlayment and pipe insulation (we have the Shurflo 4008, a nice but noisy pump as currently installed). And if that doesn't quiet it down enough we'll add an accumulator tank as well...
-install an articulating TV mount so we can turn the TV toward the sofa for viewing (right now you have to be sitting at the dinette for a comfortable head-on view)
-caulk the edges of the entire bathroom floor w/clear silicone to prevent moisture from getting under the linoleum and creating bubbles or damaging the sub-floor)
-build or modify a custom child safety rail for the lower bunk
-install a Create-a-Breeze/similar fan in the main cabin - even with a 15,000 BTU AC and Glacier package insulation, the ability to move more air on hot days will be welcome
-install screen door locks so we can allow a breeze inside without our toddler tumbling outside
-install a Command Systems LevelMate PRO (as soon as they're available again)
-install an AP Products Bluetooth LP tank check with interior monitor (when we can afford one, gotta pace ourselves)
-upgrade to Maxxis M8008 ST tires when we need a new set

Future boondocking support mods (next year or two):
-Renogy 100w solar starter kit
-Two 6v GC batteries in series - leaning towards Trojan Reliant T105 AGMs
-AquaTank2 60 gallon water storage bladder w/12v pump
-Blue-boy waste tank
-Champion 3,400 inverter generator w/remote start (will run our 15,000 BTU AC and electric hot water heater simultaneously if necessary, plus its nice to have at home during winter storm season)

Anyone out there with other White Hawk mods you think we might want to consider?
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:48 PM   #2

Sweet

Wow, you did a lot. I have a deposit on one of these now and will pick up soon. Was the rear camera easy to do ? From what I understand it is pre-wired for it.

Did you buy a cover for your 28dsbh for when you winterize it

Thanks.
dbeck10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #3

Hi Mikey, we're in the process of getting the same trailer in a few weeks, I was wondering where you had gotten the hinge and magnet from, for your tv!
#1Remembories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #4

Hey Mikey --yes please post where you got the articulating tv mount from. That is awesome. Thank you.
dbeck10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:27 PM   #5

On your tire upgrade thought I would offer an alternative. I went with Kumho AT51 LT215/75/15 8 ply tires. They have been absolutely bullet proof and eliminated a ton of sway. All of my cargo trailers will be getting these same tires now. Hands down better than any trailer tire I have used including Maxxis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
On your tire upgrade thought I would offer an alternative. I went with Kumho AT51 LT215/75/15 8 ply tires. They have been absolutely bullet proof and eliminated a ton of sway. All of my cargo trailers will be getting these same tires now. Hands down better than any trailer tire I have used including Maxxis.

Thanks, I’ve read posts by some other folks happy with Kuhmos as well. Glad they’re so solid for you. I ended up going with Goodyear Endurance.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...nce-45632.html
Old 11-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeck10 View Post
Hey Mikey --yes please post where you got the articulating tv mount from. That is awesome. Thank you.
Hi, it’s this Jayco part: PN:0269903
BRACKET,TV 200MMX200MM STANDARD SINGLE SWING ARM WITH 2 MAGNET REM//

You can order it thru any authorized Jayco dealer.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Hi, it’s this Jayco part: PN:0269903

BRACKET,TV 200MMX200MM STANDARD SINGLE SWING ARM WITH 2 MAGNET REM//

You can order it thru any authorized Jayco dealer.

Is this the television mount that you provided the part number for? I literally just went to the Jayco dealer today before they closed to look at the mounting brackets they use for the 39” TV’s and I took a couple of pictures of it. This particular one was in a new Jay Flight 33RBTS. It has the two strong magnets to keep it locked in place while traveling. I emailed Jayco last week to ask them for a part number and they told me to see my local dealer. I didn’t make it in to the parts department while I was there, so if this is the one you were referring to, thank you very much for providing the part number!! Did you happen to get a price on it?

Cheers [emoji482]

2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_26 View Post
Is this the television mount that you provided the part number for? I literally just went to the Jayco dealer today before they closed to look at the mounting brackets they use for the 39” TV’s and I took a couple of pictures of it. This particular one was in a new Jay Flight 33RBTS. It has the two strong magnets to keep it locked in place while traveling. I emailed Jayco last week to ask them for a part number and they told me to see my local dealer. I didn’t make it in to the parts department while I was there, so if this is the one you were referring to, thank you very much for providing the part number!! Did you happen to get a price on it?

Cheers [emoji482]

Duke, that’s it. It wasn’t cheap, around $75 or so. You can see it in my photo album in my signature. The magnets work great, btw.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Duke, that’s it. It wasn’t cheap, around $75 or so. You can see it in my photo album in my signature. The magnets work great, btw.

Great! Thank You!!

Duke

2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #11

We did a lot of the same mods. I love the Mopeka Tank Check. A must have on the big wide main entrance door is a Camco screen door cross bar available at Camping World and Amazon. We got one for the bathroom door as well. They are awesome, you’ll see.
And we had a Fan-Tastic Vent installed in the ceiling of our bedroom with a black Maxx Air cover so it stays dark in the bedroom at night.
Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote