Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2016, 11:15 AM   #1

Who has added a wall mount fan

I have searched and searched and cannot find the photos of where someone installed a fan in the bunks or on the BR wall??

Thinking about doing this sometime this summer. not sure where or what power source to go with
Old 03-31-2016, 12:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
I have searched and searched and cannot find the photos of where someone installed a fan in the bunks or on the BR wall??

Thinking about doing this sometime this summer. not sure where or what power source to go with
Try here. It is on another forum, but it is the very first post.
Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:44 PM   #3

If you are looking for something cheap and simple, we use a clamp on dorm fan (think it was under $10) for our kids bunks - plug it in by the TV and clamp it on at bed time...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #4

In the bunks, I'm planning to tap into the 12V from the light and mount a "cigarette lighter" socket with USB port adapter (or just USBs, haven't decided yet). Then I'm going to get a couple USB fans. Then other devices can be charged there, and a little fan will work perfect to keep air moving in the little bunk area. Right now we're using a clip-on fan, and it works, but it's not a very clean or elegant solution.

For our room, I have purchased an oscillating table-top fan that I can remove from its base. I just haven't decided how I'm going to mount it to the wall. It won't be hard, but I want a super clean install, so I'm going to spend some time and get it right.

The disadvantage with the one in our room is that it will run off 110 instead of 12V DC, so until I install an inverter, it can only be used if we're on shore power. For now that's okay, we've never been without shore power. And I could probably make something work if I got in a pinch and NEEDED something.

Curious if any other members have worked on something like this...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
In the bunks, I'm planning to tap into the 12V from the light and mount a "cigarette lighter" socket with USB port adapter (or just USBs, haven't decided yet). Then I'm going to get a couple USB fans. Then other devices can be charged there, and a little fan will work perfect to keep air moving in the little bunk area. Right now we're using a clip-on fan, and it works, but it's not a very clean or elegant solution.

For our room, I have purchased an oscillating table-top fan that I can remove from its base. I just haven't decided how I'm going to mount it to the wall. It won't be hard, but I want a super clean install, so I'm going to spend some time and get it right.

The disadvantage with the one in our room is that it will run off 110 instead of 12V DC, so until I install an inverter, it can only be used if we're on shore power. For now that's okay, we've never been without shore power. And I could probably make something work if I got in a pinch and NEEDED something.

Curious if any other members have worked on something like this...
great idea!!!
Old 03-31-2016, 02:30 PM   #6

We have one of these (I got it for $10 on clearance). It comes with a 12 volt plug, you can run it off an adaptor, or plug it into a D cell battery pack.
Robot Check

We also have two of these 10 inch fans. They can run on 12 volt or off house current with the adaptor. You can also get them in smaller 5-6 inch fan blade size.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:51 PM   #7

We use a box fan and set it on our dresser at night works great if you have the room
Old 03-31-2016, 06:14 PM   #8

I am planning on doing the same thing this year, but I am having a hard time finding a reasonably priced 12V fan. I am almost settled one of these (onefor each of the two bunks),

https://www.amazon.ca/0-25A-Brushles...dp/B00PZOPJ8O/
https://www.amazon.ca/Schumacher-122...dp/B0066CP6I2/

because they are relatively cheap and are lower profile than a regular fan. Getting in and out of the bunk without bumping into the fan is important since my family is on the larger side.

Are you planning on tying into the existing light or replacing it completely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
I am planning on doing the same thing this year, but I am having a hard time finding a reasonably priced 12V fan. I am almost settled one of these (onefor each of the two bunks),

https://www.amazon.ca/0-25A-Brushles...dp/B00PZOPJ8O/
https://www.amazon.ca/Schumacher-122...dp/B0066CP6I2/

because they are relatively cheap and are lower profile than a regular fan. Getting in and out of the bunk without bumping into the fan is important since my family is on the larger side.

Are you planning on tying into the existing light or replacing it completely?
Just tying in. I plan to replace the regular bulbs in there with LEDs, so the draw on the circuit should not be too much, unless the light, and the fan, and a phone or whatnot is all going at the same time. But even then, I'm relatively sure the wires will handle the load, but I can't speak for the fuses because I don't know for sure.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 04-01-2016, 07:20 AM   #10

Having been a kid in a bunk/coffin before, I bought a model with a bunk room. I've found that even with those little fans, its still always hot in those bunks. Fans do help a little... but its still not comfortable.

That is a HUGE reason we went with the 29QBS, the 3 bunks are in a separate room that has its own AC and heat duct.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Having been a kid in a bunk/coffin before, I bought a model with a bunk room. I've found that even with those little fans, its still always hot in those bunks. Fans do help a little... but its still not comfortable.

That is a HUGE reason we went with the 29QBS, the 3 bunks are in a separate room that has its own AC and heat duct.
When I was a kid, my bunk was above mom and dad's bed. I have many fond memories of breathing in the fresh late night or early morning air through my little window. I can still remember what my blanket smelled like.

Sorry, a little off topic there, but the discussion brought back memories. It could get a little stuffy up there at times, and we didn't bring fans. I'm hoping I can make my kid's bunk a little more user friendly. Our trailer has pretty big bunks (like double bed size?) so they're not quite a stuffy as the really small ones...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 04-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #12

No A/C ducts into the bunks is my one major gripe with our 26BH... It would not have taken a huge amount of cost/work to run a duct through the ceiling and down the corner of the bunks with air outlets in each bunk during construction - not something I would attempt to retrofit though...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
Old 04-01-2016, 10:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone campin View Post
No A/C ducts into the bunks is my one major gripe with our 26BH... It would not have taken a huge amount of cost/work to run a duct through the ceiling and down the corner of the bunks with air outlets in each bunk during construction - not something I would attempt to retrofit though...
+1

That would be great. Put an adjustable baffle on a small vent in each bunk with a drop duct in the wall. And not all that expensive in production. I agree, a retrofit would be pretty difficult.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 04-01-2016, 10:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone campin View Post
my 2016 26BH has an AC vent in the ceiling for the top bunk and it actually stays nice and cool up there!! However, the bottom bunk is the warm one, no AC vent and on top of the chill-n-store so extra heat. I just bought a fan at the store today that has 120v plug and mounts sideways to the wall. Luckily both bunks have two outlets, so I can plug it in and mount it to the wall in the bottom bunk and at least who ever sleeps down there will have air movement.
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
my 2016 26BH has an AC vent in the ceiling for the top bunk and it actually stays nice and cool up there!! However, the bottom bunk is the warm one, no AC vent and on top of the chill-n-store so extra heat. I just bought a fan at the store today that has 120v plug and mounts sideways to the wall. Luckily both bunks have two outlets, so I can plug it in and mount it to the wall in the bottom bunk and at least who ever sleeps down there will have air movement.
Interesting - they must have half-way fixed it for 2016... any way you could pipe it down through to the bottom bunk with some ducting? maybe add a T and pipe down? just a thought...

I hear you on the chill-n-store - that is why we don't use it and I plan to make it removable so I can set it outside on a table and plug it in...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
Old 04-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #16

My water heater is under the rear bunk. I never thought about whether that contributes to heat down there. I'll try to remember to check next time we're out. If there is any appreciable heat transfer, I might have to insulate that bunk platform.

No outlets in my bunks unfortunately. The closest I have is low on the half-wall that the ladder is mounted to; it works, but the cords have to be kind of long. That's why tapping into the 12V is so attractive; each bunk has a light mounted on the wall which creates easy access.

ETA: One of my original thoughts was to put a CPU fan in that little half-wall. I could cut a hole through that space and mount a fan pretty easily, but the power would become a problem because all I have there is 110. Those little fans typically operate off 12 volts. Also, DW is not too keen on me cutting holes in things; at least the cig lighter outlet would involve a SMALLER hole...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 04-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #17

wall fan

I installed a fan on the wall above our bed We drilled holes in the wall and installed 2 screws and washers (washers were to make the screws more secure). We plugged it into a 120v .plug that was close and was actually for a bedroom TV. We bought the fan in home depot. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
bed room fan sm1.jpg   bedroom fan mount screws.jpg  
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote