Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #1

Wireless rear camera install - 19H

Hello All,

I'm new here so thought I would start out with this contribution. I installed a wireless rear camera on my 2011 Jayfeather Select 19H:

I purchased this camera (pic 1) of ebay from a Hong Kong seller for about $36. You can get these with a monitor included but I wanted to use my radio in my 2008 Jeep Commander so didn't want the extra monitor.

You can see in the next shot the pieces included; the camera (meant to mount on a license plate) the transmitter that requires +12VDC and the receiver to mount in the TV and connect to a monitor that also requires +12VDC.

I decided I wanted the camera up as high as possible in the middle of the TT so the center marker light looked like the ideal location to mount under and would provide the means to enter the TT with the wire. I had to remove one small panel in the TT to expose the back of the marker lights. Pic 3 shows the panel removed and the wires feeding the marker lights with +12VDC.

The center marker light on my TT is actually off to the left of the shot behind another small panel separting the storage compartment from the bathroom so I had to use a coat hanger to fish the wire through. The next shot shows the marker light with the cap removed. I will drill a hole in the bottom of the lens and one through the marker light backing to get inside the TT. All these holes were sealed with clear silicone during final assembly.

Pic 5 shows the small hole in the lens itself. The next 2 shots (Pic 6 and 7) show the mounting and connection of the wireless camera pieces mocked up. I used duct tape on the panel to hold the components in place. I also cut the ends of the license plate bracket as I did not like the look of the full bracket. there is no fuse used for the wireless transmitter as the draw is so low and the circuit is protected by the fuses for the marker lights anyway.

Pic 8 shows the final mounted camera using two stainless screws through the remaining bracket. These were also sealed with silicone. These cameras are so light that I'm sure the grey industrial double-sided 3M tape would work if you didn't want the holes.

Pic 9 and 10 show the view from my factory radio one is of the factory camera facing the hitch and the other is switched to the rear of the TT.

Installation of the receiver in the TV is fairly easy. You just need to run the red wire to accessory switched +12VDC and the black to ground. I didn't document this as I have an add-on product called a MyGig 3 Lockpick from CoastelTech that allows video on demand viewing while the vehicle is in motion. This means I can switch on my cameras and flip between them while driving. I used an RCS splitter to allow input from both cameras and wired in a toggle switch to alternate the power to which rear cam I want to use at the time.

The rear cam on the TT is powered by the running lights so they need to be on while using the camera.

I'm open for questions.

Thanks,

Mark Fisk
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.JPG   3.JPG   4.JPG   5.JPG  

6.JPG   7.JPG   9.JPG   10.JPG   8.JPG  

EXTremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #2

Very nice mod! Thanks for sharing.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #3

That's interesting!
2006 GMC Ext Cab 2500HD 4X4/6.0/4.10
RTR!
gilldawg79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #4

Very cool mod.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #5

I like your mod! Nice fit- the only thing is that my wired camera is night and day better then the wireless I tried. Hope yours works out! Nice job!
mtkeg15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #6

Thanks - I was a little worried the distance would be too much and too much metal in the way but the image is just as good as my factory cam. I'm thinking $700 - $1000 versions for sale at CW just might have a slightly better view (wider angle) maybe but for what I spent it works perfect. Already used it to line up my narrow driveway.
Equalizer E2 6000
EXTremist is offline   Reply With Quote